United thread 2012/13 (inc merged IPO thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
SWP's back said:
JoeMercer'sWay said:
SWP's back said:
It wasn't a sell out though was it?

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19304316" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19304316</a>
Can be sold out in the United end but we all know how shit Fulham are with away support.

QPR "sold out" yet theirs and Southampton's away support was bobbins.
All I know is two of my mates bought tickets on the door.
On the door?

No tickets for sale on Utd's website 2 days before the game, maybe your mates got tickets thro the "ticket exchange" whereby the club will sell on seats that can't be used, for ST holders (at a fee of course).

From The Guardians preview the day before the match:-

Friday 24 August 2012 14.23 BST

Defeat at Everton must be instantly answered by a win for Manchester United over Fulham, who warmed up for this visit to Old Trafford with a 5-0 defeat of Norwich City. Robin van Persie should be given his first start and the attacking pattern of United intrigues most: how Sir Alex Ferguson harnesses Shinji Kagawa, Van Persie, Wayne Rooney and Danny Welbeck will offer a first clue regarding the Scot's approach to reclaiming the title from Manchester City. October 2003 was the last time Fulham defeated United before their home crowd. Jamie Jackson

Venue Old Trafford, Saturday 3pm

Tickets Sold out

laserblue said:
I am talking about cup scheme money, not prize money.

I know it's united we're talking about, but even they are not guaranteed to be drawn at home in any of the cups.

In the FA Cup last season, they drew us away and then Liverpool away
The only cup matches they are guaranteed to play at home are the three Champions League group fixtures
Or are you telling me that season ticket holders are being charged for cup games whether they play at home or not?

Because of a fall in S/T sales a few years ago League Cup games became exempt from the compulsory cup scheme. However, if an S/T holder opts out of the League Cup scheme he/she doesn't qualify for a ticket for ANY cup final the rags may reach. Despite this blatant attempted blackmail rip off enough fans voted with their feet. Hence the 30,000 empty seats at the Wolves LC game a couple of years ago.
Firstly I take your point that guaranteed was perhaps a little misleading. I actually meant , in the event of any home cup ties the club was guaranteed income from at least 55,000 sales (the approx number of ST sales until the last year or so) come what may, because of the auto,cup ticket scheme. I didn't mean to imply that Utd were guaranteed home cup draws (tho since 04/05 Utd have had 56 home champs lge or FA Cup ties, an average of 7 a season since the Glazers arrived).

Secondly, you're right when you refer to the 30,000 empty seats in the league cup tie against Wolves recently. That said I actually think a crowd of 46,000 is pretty decent for a league cup 4th round tie - especially when you remember that, unlike many clubs, Utd usually charge full league match prices for ALL home cup ties. It was also the only time Utd have sold less than 50,000 for a home league cup tie since the removal of league cup fixtures from the auto cup scheme, which suggests there probably is still a market for buying tickets on a natch by match basis

Because of a fall in S/T sales a few years ago League Cup games became exempt from the compulsory cup scheme. However, if an S/T holder opts out of the League Cup scheme he/she doesn't qualify for a ticket for ANY cup final the rags may reach.
This is also a little misleading, IMO, Laserblue. A S/T holder who opts out of League Cup matches, on the auto cup scheme is not exempt from qualifying for cup final tickets, provided they have still gone on to buy a ticket for every home cup tie (given the meagre cup final allocations these days it's unlikely that anyone would meet qualifying criteria if they haven't previously bought tickets for all home league & cup games - most clubs do the same, you call it blackmail they call it rewarding loyalty).

I know this to be the case cos I used to opt out from automatically buying league cup tickets, tho still bought them at a more convenient time for myself, and it had no effect on my eligibility for cup final ballots.

flb said:
Possibly they would sell all season tickets without a compulsory cup scheme-but what effect would that have on cup attendances? United have always prided themselves on there "support" so how would it look on tv for the world to see with thousands of empty seats for the flagship cup competition?
Well they had 3 home cup games, that weren't covered by the auto cup scheme last season and got gates of over 52,000 against Palace in the league cup, 59,000 against Bilbao and 67,000 against Ajax (both in the Europa league). Think that was without any discounted prices too so I doubt they'd do too badly for ticket sales if they went back to selling all cup tickets on a match by match basis.

Utd bid £38m for Neymar on transfer deadline day according to the Sun.

JM Mcr said:
flb said:
Possibly they would sell all season tickets without a compulsory cup scheme-but what effect would that have on cup attendances? United have always prided themselves on there "support" so how would it look on tv for the world to see with thousands of empty seats for the flagship cup competition?
Well they had 3 home cup games, that weren't covered by the auto cup scheme last season and got gates of over 52,000 against Palace in the league cup, 59,000 against Bilbao and 67,000 against Ajax (both in the Europa league). Think that was without any discounted prices too so I doubt they'd do too badly for ticket sales if they went back to selling all cup tickets on a match by match basis.

Agreed they are good attendances,Didnt Ajax and Bilbao bring sizeable crowds though?The 20 thousand empty seats jibe at City is just as applicable to United.United have been riding on the crest of a wave attendance wise and the only way is down on gate size with the obvious departure of Ferguson and the clubs transfer policy.

There would be obvious empty seats in CL games if fans were not made to enter a CL scheme though,its just a shame from your clubs point of view that match day attendances are deemed not to be the be all and end all of uniteds turnover,its purely a cashflow issue.

-- Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:56 am --

Marvin said:

Of course they did,and im taking Candice Swanepoel out for dinner tonight.

Marvin said:

BBC said it as well.

I hope it's true then someone can pull baconface up on his comment about Moura going to PSG stating that he found it amazing that a club will spend £35M on a 19 year old yet justify it by offering £38M for a 20 year old???

Hopefully it's true as it will just be another hypocritical agenda of his to add to the list!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.