United Thread 2015/16

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not disputing the terminology or history of the word 'derby' or when it was even linked to a Liverpool V United game. For all I know Sky created it in 1999??? What I'm disputing is this statement below.
you tried to wind us up constantly by trying to make us insignificant Ikkle City and making Liverpool your main rivals

It was pathetic red shit bollocks to wind mates up at work as usual

Now it's biting you sad red cunts on the arse big time

Two things about this insipid lot:

- De Gea : ( . Very ominous for him to be back. That Southampton game was ridiculous. F*ck you Real Madrid for not going all the way through.

- Martial. I'm actually not reading the newspapers because I don't think I can bear to witness the fapping over "the next Henry" (didn't Jijjjazzy and Macheda have very good debuts too? Not every promising teen is Ronaldo).

They'll probably beat Sunderland then they'll lose their next 4 league games IMO.
Sunderland-h
Arsenal-a
Everton-a
Us-h
Palace-a

A trip to Moscow in between Everton and us as well.

LOL at soft-as-butter Arsenal beating the rags. The four games after are a much better bet for the rags to drop points, they'll do Arsenal over.

Head above the parapet time here - I'm going to side with Shallyman. IIRC, the United/Liverpool rivalry started to spice up a bit in the late seventies, when Liverpool started to win the league more regularly (they won it three times in the 12 years in the top flight under Shankly, then 8 times in 11 seasons from 1975/6 onwards). It became quite nasty from both sides pretty quickly, as well. The Manc derby was different in that it was the game that you'd get merciless stick for at school if you lost, and certainly in the late seventies, it was a huge event on both sides. But then, the match could definitely go either way, City had more Wembley appearances and the like through the seventies, and by the time we were averaging home gates of over 40K between 76 and 78, that probably meant that the Manchester region had fairly equal numbers of match-going fans for both clubs. (United's gates were bigger than ours, but even then, they used to draw a lot of out-of-towners).

What really turned things round was that City were so poor for so long. After our victory in the derby at Maine Road in February 1981, we won one more competitive fixture against United in the next 21 years and 9 months. After we went down in 1983, we played outside the top flight for nine of the next 20 seasons, so for nearly 50% of the time, there wasn't even a proper Manchester derby, just the odd friendly or testimonial. In the light of that, it's hardly surprising that the occasion lost its edge and United fans started to regard Liverpool as the bigger game - and it happened very quickly after we failed to offer any meaningful derby challenge.

If, over the coming years, we have City and United competing with each other in the title race and having more major Cup games against one another while Liverpool predominantly finish in the Europa League places, things will probably start to change. However, it will take some time, I'd have thought. We certainly always got to them a bit even when we were shit and they were winning everything in sight. Any protestations that they saw us irrelevant to them were given the lie by things like that banner, while you could often hear lots of signing about us when they played in one of their rare (arf!) televised games. But I think we're deluding ourselves a little if we suggest that the derby has, in the last couple of decades or a bit more, generally been the game even local United fans would regard as their biggest.

Can't say it matters to me anyway. We're not the City of old any more and they know they've got a hell of a fight if they want to be the more successful club in Manchester these days. That's what counts for me now.

Two things about this insipid lot:

- De Gea : ( . Very ominous for him to be back. That Southampton game was ridiculous. F*ck you Real Madrid for not going all the way through.

- Martial. I'm actually not reading the newspapers because I don't think I can bear to witness the fapping over "the next Henry" (didn't Jijjjazzy and Macheda have very good debuts too? Not every promising teen is Ronaldo).

De Gea will be an excellent performer for them this season, of that I've no doubt. However I'd be very surprised indeed if he didn't leave next summer for Real. United have done a good deal in getting him signed up to a contract, probably a degree of "if you don't sign then we'll go with Romero this season, and you'll be watching the Euros from your couch" about it, but equally De Gea will have had a release clause that Real are more than prepared to pay included also.

Martial could turn out to be an excellent player, however United have paid a World Class player price for him so, at best, they'll have paid exactly the right fee for him, and anything less than the perfect scenario means they've overpaid. The fawning and group masturbation from the football pundits and commentators alike with regards to Martial is all a little nauseating.

The Liverpool / United rivalry probably has it's origins in the 4 year period 1964-67 when each team alternated winning the title. Both clubs at that time though looked upon Everton / City as their main rival. The rivalry with each other was on the field the same as City / Chelsea is today and was not historic. In fact that is the only real period when both clubs were consistently good at the same time. It grew in the 70s and 80s as Liverpool firstly matched United's achievement in winning the European Cup and then surpassed it. There was much bitterness from United fans about this. At the time all English fans (including the majority of Evertonians) wanted Liverpool to win in Europe apart from the United fans. The biggest game for both though remained their local derby. Everton were actually Liverpool's main on field rival in the mid 80s at the time of Ferguson's arrival. When Ferguson came out with his comment about Liverpool being United's biggest game it was clearly meant to belittle City. Liverpool fans stupidly seized on this as a way to belittle Everton. Both fan bases were aware that historically (pre-WW 2) they were clearly the smaller clubs in their respective cities and both it has to be said still had a chip on their shoulder. I sometimes wonder if they still do? I used to work with an Evertonian who reckoned Liverpool hated Everton a lot more than the other way round because they were secretly frightened of them returning to their previous status of the top club in the city. I always thought that the infamous banner at Old Trafford and the far more numerous anti City songs than anti Liverpool songs from United supporters indicated the same sort of feeling even at our lowest point.

The 45 passes + goal vs Southampton.
I haven't seen or heard yet a mention of the fact that not one single tackle, let alone any close attention, was made by a Southampton player in the build up to that goal.

Some quotes:
"they were mesmerised"
"passed to death"
"hypnotic" also got a mention.

If this gets into the goal of the season contenders, then people need their eyes tested, including the ex-pro pundits.
Again Utd were lucky, surely it can't carry on, unlike the agenda bandwagon.

Hi Gary, I'm not disputing any of your facts above, but I'm not really talking about the 1950's as I wasn't around at the time. I do know that the rivalry spiraled in the 1970's and 80's. The whole reason this 'debate' has come about is because Stony posted that Alex Ferguson created the rivalry with Liverpool, and I said that simply was not true. He then used your book to back up his argument. In the documentary that I posted it was mentioned that in the 50's and early 60's there was little in the way of footballing rivalry between the clubs, fans and players...but then things changed. There is archived footage of Tommy Docherty and Ron Atkinson talking about the games with Liverpool being fierce battles on the pitch and an evil atmosphere in the stands. I can relate to all of that because I was there at the time. This was prior to Alex Ferguson, and this is my point.

At last, you agree that the LFC MUFC rivalry was not around throughout history (so therefore not directly connected with the ship canal) and that it is a more modern rivalry. Now it'd be worth telling everyone else connected with MUFC and the media that.

On the Doc... Always worth remembering that he was very outspoken on the violence around MUFC games. He wanted fans birched on the pitch, during his time at MUFC. Lots of great quotes from him about misbehaving United fans worth reading. Whether LFC MUFC was more of an evil atmosphere than a meeting with Leeds is debatable of course. Might be worth seeking the views of lufc and LFC fans.

Head above the parapet time here - I'm going to side with Shallyman. IIRC, the United/Liverpool rivalry started to spice up a bit in the late seventies, when Liverpool started to win the league more regularly (they won it three times in the 12 years in the top flight under Shankly, then 8 times in 11 seasons from 1975/6 onwards). It became quite nasty from both sides pretty quickly, as well. The Manc derby was different in that it was the game that you'd get merciless stick for at school if you lost, and certainly in the late seventies, it was a huge event on both sides. But then, the match could definitely go either way, City had more Wembley appearances and the like through the seventies, and by the time we were averaging home gates of over 40K between 76 and 78, that probably meant that the Manchester region had fairly equal numbers of match-going fans for both clubs. (United's gates were bigger than ours, but even then, they used to draw a lot of out-of-towners).

What really turned things round was that City were so poor for so long. After our victory in the derby at Maine Road in February 1981, we won one more competitive fixture against United in the next 21 years and 9 months. After we went down in 1983, we played outside the top flight for nine of the next 20 seasons, so for nearly 50% of the time, there wasn't even a proper Manchester derby, just the odd friendly or testimonial. In the light of that, it's hardly surprising that the occasion lost its edge and United fans started to regard Liverpool as the bigger game - and it happened very quickly after we failed to offer any meaningful derby challenge.

If, over the coming years, we have City and United competing with each other in the title race and having more major Cup games against one another while Liverpool predominantly finish in the Europa League places, things will probably start to change. However, it will take some time, I'd have thought. We certainly always got to them a bit even when we were shit and they were winning everything in sight. Any protestations that they saw us irrelevant to them were given the lie by things like that banner, while you could often hear lots of signing about us when they played in one of their rare (arf!) televised games. But I think we're deluding ourselves a little if we suggest that the derby has, in the last couple of decades or a bit more, generally been the game even local United fans would regard as their biggest.

Can't say it matters to me anyway. We're not the City of old any more and they know they've got a hell of a fight if they want to be the more successful club in Manchester these days. That's what counts for me now.

I entirely agree with you Petrusha, so a tin hat for me as well

The rags rivals went from Liverpool, to arsenal, to Blackburn to chelsea to us in a heartbeat.
Whoever won the league utd decided that was their rivals as how dare they win "their " trophy.
Us on the other hand class the rags as our rivals come rain or shine.
Whatever division we was in it didn't matter, utd was our derby and they would be our rivals full stop.
Utds rivalry with the mickeys is based on pure bitterness and jealousy, nothing else.
What else could it be?
The Beatles and the cavern? Shellsuits?
It's pure bitterness.
Then they decide to call us bitters for nearly 35 years, put up that banner and dismiss us as little old citeh.
We was shite personified for years, visited some proper shitholes in division 3 whilst they swept up every cup yet I still had them as our rivals.
You can't just change your enemy at the drop of a hat like they do.
Now after calling us noisy neighbours for a couple of years and seeing us win leagues and cups they suddenly want us to be their fierce rivals again.
Get fucked.
We always was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.