United Thread 2015/16

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's no doubt that the last couple of days of the transfer window have worked out well for United, albeit seemingly entirely unplanned and haphazardly. The collapse of the De Gea transfer, and his subsequent new contract, means they've got one of the best keepers around playing for them, as opposed to Romero who couldn't get a game at either Monaco or Sampdoria the last two seasons. Now I don't for one minute think De Gea will be at United next season (his new contract just ensures United will get a sizeable fee from Real for him when they sell next summer, a fee which is no doubt set in stone within the contract as a "release clause") but his presence there this season will win them far more points than they would otherwise have achieved (who knows how the game yesterday would have finished if Fonte's header had gone in, something you suspect would have been the case if Romero was in goal).

The Martial deal, despite it being very early days, looks like its brought a talented player to Old Trafford, and with his pace up front he looks like the Premier League could suit him. He's still very young, and inexperienced though, so consistency is where he'sll struggle. Lets not mistake good form, and talent, for a "good deal" here though. Martial's fee, when add ons are considered (and most of the add ons are very easy to achieve), is still ridiculous for someone of his age and lack of football experience, and no number of early career goals will change that. Even if he goes on to become the next Henry the simply fat will be they could have got him for £20m less if they'd been even slightly adept in the transfer market.

United's points tally, and the fact they've won 4, drawn 1 and lost 1 so far this season, is a matter of some frustration. They've been pretty poor for large parts of the season so far yet find themselves just 2 points behind City, despite it being widely accepted City have been head and shoulders ahead of the rest of the league form wise. I'm not too concerned however, we have a far stronger squad than United, we have been playing far superior football, we will finish comfortably ahead of them come May. Chelsea are the side I was concerned about a the start of the season, with a slight concern over Arsenal. We're still 8 points clear of Chelsea, and 5 ahead of Arsenal, so fromk that perspective we're still very handily placed.

What our relative positions (City and United) does indicate is some of the stuff being posted on here after just 5 league games, asking whether we could become another "invincibles" etc was just laughably naïve and frustratingly idiotic. You can play well and lose, or struggle horribly at times and win (as demonstrated by our two relative starts to the season) so asking if we can go unbeaten in mid September is just farcical.

There whole game is about defending sit back don't make mistakes and hope they get opportunities from set pieces and opposition shitting them selves! Seems to be working!

The rivalry stepped up as Liverpool started winning league titles and European cups as Uniteds power waned and the jealousy reached fever pitch from United fans. Liverpool were hardly seen as rivals to United as they had even not won a cup until 1963, you'll be telling us next the rivalry with Leeds stems from the war of the Roses.

Liverpool didn't actually win a "cup", the FA Cup, until 1965. They had, however, won 6 league titles by that point.

There whole game is about defending sit back don't make mistakes and hope they get opportunities from set pieces and opposition shitting them selves! Seems to be working!

And, unfortunately, it's proving to be very effective so far.

Only a side with their legendary flukey luck could succeed with this game plan.

You're literally arguing with the foremost and most recognised authority about the history of Manchester football and saying "well I don't remember it like that".

The arrogance it demands for you to do this is literally staggering.

The sort of behaviour that typifies the average rag.

I'd much rather have a challenging season than a procession, especially if the challenge is from united. Winning the league in such circumstances is far more satisfying.

We have the best squad of players. If we stay mentally robust we'll win it. If we don't, then we don't deserve to. It's completely down to us. That's good enough for me.

Some of the white flag waving on here is utterly pitiful. I do wonder how some posters cope with problems that come their way in the course of their normal lives. Not very well, or not at all, I'll hazard

I'd much rather have a challenging season than a procession, especially if the challenge is from united. Winning the league in such circumstances is far more satisfying.

We have the best squad of players. If we stay mentally robust we'll win it. If we don't, then we don't deserve to. It's completely down to us. That's good enough for me.

Some of the white flag waving on here is utterly pitiful. I do wonder how some posters cope with problems that come their way in the course of their normal lives. Not very well, or not at all, I'll hazard

Nailed it, Mr Moustache.

I swear Luke Shaw's injury has been talked about more than our last title win. I feel bad for the lad but people are acting like he died. Pundits seem to have a ready made excuse if united lose, they will just say "the players are still affected by what happened to Shaw." It feels like they are willing to use a players horrific injury in order to appease united fans in the event that they lose a game which just feels so wrong ethically.

The so-called "rivalry' between the Rags and Dippers is a modern creation of the Rags mainly, mostly due to Liverpool being a far more successful team in terms of winning things in the 1980's. Like Gary has put in his excellent post, in the 1950's this rivalry didn't exist... ask yourself why Shallyman instead of believing the spoon-fed PR bollock you get fed!
Interestingly too, the older United fans I know all say that going to Goodison in the 1970's/80's was always dodgier than going to Anfield... surely not if the rivalry was as great as you say!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.