United Thread 2015/16

Status
Not open for further replies.
At last, you agree that the LFC MUFC rivalry was not around throughout history (so therefore not directly connected with the ship canal) and that it is a more modern rivalry. Now it'd be worth telling everyone else connected with MUFC and the media that.

The ship canal did not create a footballing rivalry, it created animosity between the cities of Liverpool and Manchester (Salford). This resentment regarding jobs was very real at the time and if you watch the attached MSC documentary that was filmed in the 1970's, the Salford dockers have nothing but scorn for the Liverpool dockers. It's a great bit of footage.

Also, the early 70's was 45 years ago. This is not by any stretch a 'modern' rivalry. And it wasn't created by Alex Ferguson, either. It's one thing making statements of fact, as a respected historian, but when you merge these with your own opinions, then this can sometimes come unstuck. Especially when people who were living and breathing in those decades have the gift of recollection.

Fast forward the clip to 4 mins. As a historian you will enjoy it. Very insightful.

we all have a history that is well over 100 years old,liverpool utd city and so on,but I always find it funny that when Liverpool and utd talk history,its only the latter half mentioned,wonder why that is ?

The ship canal did not create a footballing rivalry, it created animosity between the cities of Liverpool and Manchester (Salford). This resentment regarding jobs was very real at the time and if you watch the attached MSC documentary that was filmed in the 1970's, the Salford dockers have nothing but scorn for the Liverpool dockers. It's a great bit of footage.

Also, the early 70's was 45 years ago. This is not by any stretch a 'modern' rivalry. And it wasn't created by Alex Ferguson, either. It's one thing making statements of fact, as a respected historian, but when you merge these with your own opinions, then this can sometimes come unstuck. Especially when people who were living and breathing in those decades have the gift of recollection.

Fast forward the clip to 4 mins. As a historian you will enjoy it. Very insightful.

A rivalry between cities is not a rivalry between football clubs. If you think it is then please explain why there has never been an intense rivalry between City & Liverpool, City & Everton or United & Everton.

As I posted previously, at no time in the 1960s (a period I lived through as a match going fan) was there the slightest hint of any tribal rivalry between United and Liverpool and their fans. United's rivalry was always with City as it remains to this day.

Hey bastards watching. You're not out rivals. Enjoy your rivalry with Liverpool and Everton.

Thanks for not making our Real rivals stronger though raggies.

We're bigger than you swallow that raggy twats. We've better team, better manager, better fans ,better stadium, better academy($200m, smell it?). Aaaand a bitter trophy cabinet for the last 8 years.

A huge leap of faith that an industrial 'rivalry' translates to a football rivalry. Two things you have assumed here:

That the majority of dockers would be football fans and would support one of either Liverpool or United - I'm sure a fair few would have been Everton or City fans so please explain why this rivalry didn't translate to us or Everton ? Secondly, you make an assumption that Liverpool or rag fans would all give a sh*t about the shipping industry, patently a huge assumption.

I wasn't around in the late sixties or seventies but we very often came out on top in local derbies so to assert that Liverpool other than in recent times were bigger rivals than City to rags is patently untrue. Anyone know ows that rivalry is driven by who you work with, live next to on a day to day basis. That for most City and United fans will be those whom you share the same City, unless you are admitting that most rags don't live in Manchester.

Give up the pretence, everyone knows this supposed firece rivalry witn liverpool was a fergie creation dedigned to undermine City. If this isn't the case I'm sure you can show us how much time you're spending on Rawk ?

A huge leap of faith that an industrial 'rivalry' translates to a football rivalry. Two things you have assumed here:

That the majority of dockers would be football fans and would support one of either Liverpool or United - I'm sure a fair few would have been Everton or City fans so please explain why this rivalry didn't translate to us or Everton ? Secondly, you make an assumption that Liverpool or rag fans would all give a sh*t about the shipping industry, patently a huge assumption.

I wasn't around in the late sixties or seventies but we very often came out on top in local derbies so to assert that Liverpool other than in recent times were bigger rivals than City to rags is patently untrue. Anyone know ows that rivalry is driven by who you work with, live next to on a day to day basis. That for most City and United fans will be those whom you share the same City, unless you are admitting that most rags don't live in Manchester.

Give up the pretence, everyone knows this supposed firece rivalry witn liverpool was a fergie creation dedigned to undermine City. If this isn't the case I'm sure you can show us how much time you're spending on Rawk ?
United have represented Manchester as the major force in football since the 1960s just as Liverpool fc represented that city. That in itself is no slight on either Everton or City but just a matter of historical truth. The shipping resentment certainly was brought up again and again and added to the antagonism, some Liverpudlians taking it far too seriously.The rivalry with Liverpool has died down in reality since the start of the premier league era but we tens to still give the scousers stick due to our history. Since 2008 the rivalry with City has become obviously more intense now , now that you've got the players to challenge for the title.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.