United thread 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can barely get 1.1bn to watch a world cup or champions league final. The total football fanbase worldwide is probably 2.5bn max. In fact, the rags peak at about 100m in matchday viewing figures, so we're supposed to believe that only 1 in 11 rag fans can be arsed watching their biggest games...
Interesting stat is that, 100 million Rags watching that shite, these must be the gluttons for punishment hardcore
then, the rest sat looking at the floor sobbing.

Can barely get 1.1bn to watch a world cup or champions league final. The total football fanbase worldwide is probably 2.5bn max. In fact, the rags peak at about 100m in matchday viewing figures, so we're supposed to believe that only 1 in 11 rag fans can be arsed watching their biggest games...
That sounds about right. I'd say about 10 in 11 rag supporters "aren't really arsed about football" lately.

It's also the way it's sold / marketed abroad.

I've lost count of how many Chinese students i've seen wandering around places like London / York / Cambridge / Oxford (i work all over the place) wearing utd shirts.... A few weeks ago there were litterally hundreds of Chinese students staying in the same hotel i was in in London, there were so many utd shirts - had it not been off season i'd have thought there was a game on.

They don't support utd in a fan base way, but it could be argued because they buy their merchandise they support them financially.

OC i might be completely undervaluing how these people see utd, they might be avid supporters following every game and every kick religiously - but when you see so many people wearing Pogba shirts, you kinda question whether they do actually follow the game ;)

i can't remember the figure now, but i saw an article last year sayuing that utd opened so many stores in China to cater for the huge fan base over there.

The worldwide fan base must have a huge proportion of people who just buy into the spin.

We were at Norton Ceynes services a few seasons ago - there were some coaches full of City fans in, and i'm pretty sure there were a load of Burnley fans milling around, then a coach pulled in with Chinese students - they must have been fresh from the Utd store because everyone had a utd cap or shirt on. It was all good banter, and a lot of the blues were pointing at the utd caps and booing - all in good fun. A lot of the Chinese students had photo's taken with City fans - they don't have a clue lol.
Don't be silly. People only buy the merchandise if they're a die hard fan. Unless you're suggesting Hillary Clinton isn't a huge New York Yankees fan.

It's also the way it's sold / marketed abroad.

I've lost count of how many Chinese students i've seen wandering around places like London / York / Cambridge / Oxford (i work all over the place) wearing utd shirts.... A few weeks ago there were litterally hundreds of Chinese students staying in the same hotel i was in in London, there were so many utd shirts - had it not been off season i'd have thought there was a game on.

They don't support utd in a fan base way, but it could be argued because they buy their merchandise they support them financially.

OC i might be completely undervaluing how these people see utd, they might be avid supporters following every game and every kick religiously - but when you see so many people wearing Pogba shirts, you kinda question whether they do actually follow the game ;)

i can't remember the figure now, but i saw an article last year sayuing that utd opened so many stores in China to cater for the huge fan base over there.

The worldwide fan base must have a huge proportion of people who just buy into the spin.

We were at Norton Ceynes services a few seasons ago - there were some coaches full of City fans in, and i'm pretty sure there were a load of Burnley fans milling around, then a coach pulled in with Chinese students - they must have been fresh from the Utd store because everyone had a utd cap or shirt on. It was all good banter, and a lot of the blues were pointing at the utd caps and booing - all in good fun. A lot of the Chinese students had photo's taken with City fans - they don't have a clue lol.

Hmmmmm, I also travel a lot, both in this country and through Europe, I have NEVER, even in their so called glory days, seen what you describe, a hotel with so many Chinese fans wearing Rag shirts you could mistake it for a match day. In the last few years I don't even see 'English' Rags wearing Rag shirts. It is a bull shit survey done to please the bosses. They have one match and so are officially back, time to release the made up shite to keep them in the news.

The thing is that these figures are so manifestly bogus that only an idiot like the guy who got sacked by Chevrolet would use them as a guide for sponsorship purposes.
The issue with that is those idiots do exist and they are provenly in positions of power,
If it’s happened before it’ll happen again

Hmmmmm, I also travel a lot, both in this country and through Europe, I have NEVER, even in their so called glory days, seen what you describe, a hotel with so many Chinese fans wearing Rag shirts you could mistake it for a match day. In the last few years I don't even see 'English' Rags wearing Rag shirts. It is a bull shit survey done to please the bosses. They have one match and so are officially back, time to release the made up shite to keep them in the news.

Aye, maybe 'matchday' was a bit of an exaggeration - but out of 100 odd folks at breakfast, at least fifty of them were wearing utd shirts - i noticed a proliferation of Rashfords knocking around.

i agree, it is just hyped up spin to keep the shareholders / owners happy - but when they target international groups with that spin, it is all self propelling to a degree. i was chatting with one of the Chinese tutors and she said it's part of the tour itinerary to visit Liverpool and Utd stores - she asked if i was a fan, i told her i followed City and that seemed to be the end of that discussion - i guess there's no-where she can take it outside of familiar ground.

i guess that is just the Asian culture, to a degree, rather than following football they follow a perceived culture - and how they perceive it is how it is sold out there. It's a billion $ industry and tapping into foreign markets is certainly part of that - which oc goes beyond the football - more folks are attaching to the corporate aspect of it than the game (i assume) - and that in and of itself then spirals out of all proportion. Manchester Utd have become a brand, beyond what they do, or don't do on the field, it's a brand not unlike FCUK and sells as a brand. Difference is FCUK don't publish figures claiming them to be their global supporters ;)

i wonder how many people from that 1 billion fanbase who buy a utd shirt, have actually even seen the ground :)

Aye, maybe 'matchday' was a bit of an exaggeration - but out of 100 odd folks at breakfast, at least fifty of them were wearing utd shirts - i noticed a proliferation of Rashfords knocking around.

i agree, it is just hyped up spin to keep the shareholders / owners happy - but when they target international groups with that spin, it is all self propelling to a degree. i was chatting with one of the Chinese tutors and she said it's part of the tour itinerary to visit Liverpool and Utd stores - she asked if i was a fan, i told her i followed City and that seemed to be the end of that discussion - i guess there's no-where she can take it outside of familiar ground.

i guess that is just the Asian culture, to a degree, rather than following football they follow a perceived culture - and how they perceive it is how it is sold out there. It's a billion $ industry and tapping into foreign markets is certainly part of that - which oc goes beyond the football - more folks are attaching to the corporate aspect of it than the game (i assume) - and that in and of itself then spirals out of all proportion. Manchester Utd have become a brand, beyond what they do, or don't do on the field, it's a brand not unlike FCUK and sells as a brand. Difference is FCUK don't publish figures claiming them to be their global supporters ;)

i wonder how many people from that 1 billion fanbase who buy a utd shirt, have actually even seen the ground :)

I wonder how many buy a real shirt rather than a knock off.

If the mythical 1.1 Billion stood on each others shoulder's, they would reach to the Moon about 5 times.

Now we just need to convince them to attempt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.