United thread 2020/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are shite, I didn't want them too win last night obviously but if they were going to win like they did do I'd rather they of just done it in normal time than extra time because they let my bet down.
Same, purely because it would have given me half an hour to watch something else.

We are still playing the double pivot, but we just adjusted and tweaked it more this season.

The previous double pivot was more static, with Gundogan + Rodri. This season we play more into Gundo's excellence going forward, so Cancelo comes in when Gundo moves forward, to form double pivot with Rodri.

On paper & how we normally look last season:

----LW---Striker----RW---
-------------AM--------------
-----Gundo-----Rodri------
LB----CB------CB-----Cancelo

This season when we are in possession:

----LW---Striker---RW---
-----Gundo-------AM-------
-------Rodri---Cancelo------
----LB--------CB----------CB----

A 4-2-3-1 into a 3-4-3. Movement is dictated by who is playing on the day, but this is the general gist of it.

Sometimes the attacking midfield gets to push higher up, so we get a 3-3-4.

This setup lets us match man-for-man against most defenses so we don't lose the edge in attack, and subsequently allows us to retain numbers in midfield, something Pep loves. Retaining the double pivot even as we are on the attack, also protects the team from counter-attacks.
Great analysis.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.