United Thread - 2021/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah OK, my memory playing tricks, I thought I had read that at the time. They deffo wouldn't allow that to hap

At the start of play the rags were 1 point behind Southampton and 2 points behind Birmingham. These were the only three teams which could be relegated. Both Southampton and Birmingham won on that day (my birthday - what a present!) so the rags result was an irrelevance. Even ordering the game to be replayed, or imposing a three point deduction on City would not have saved the rag bacon. And there was an additional problem because in the sixth round of the FA cup that season Newcastle fans that season had rioted when their team went 3-1 behind to Forest at St James Park. Two Forest players and 20-odd spectators were injured but the ref took the players off, the crowd dispersed and the game was restarted so that Newcastle fans weren't rewarded for a riot. The irony was that Newcastle came back to win. A replay was ordered but this ended 0-0 at Goodison. A second replay, again at Goodison, ended in a 1-0 win for Newcastle, who were only beaten by Liverpool in the final. The FA's inept handling of the affair was condemned widely and the belief that the FA had actually rewarded a set of fans for hooliganism was widespread and made it difficult to make any concessions to any other hooligans (especially when it could do them no good!).

At the start of play the rags were 1 point behind Southampton and 2 points behind Birmingham. These were the only three teams which could be relegated. Both Southampton and Birmingham won on that day (my birthday - what a present!) so the rags result was an irrelevance. Even ordering the game to be replayed, or imposing a three point deduction on City would not have saved the rag bacon. And there was an additional problem because in the sixth round of the FA cup that season Newcastle fans that season had rioted when their team went 3-1 behind to Forest at St James Park. Two Forest players and 20-odd spectators were injured but the ref took the players off, the crowd dispersed and the game was restarted so that Newcastle fans weren't rewarded for a riot. The irony was that Newcastle came back to win. A replay was ordered but this ended 0-0 at Goodison. A second replay, again at Goodison, ended in a 1-0 win for Newcastle, who were only beaten by Liverpool in the final. The FA's inept handling of the affair was condemned widely and the belief that the FA had actually rewarded a set of fans for hooliganism was widespread and made it difficult to make any concessions to any other hooligans (especially when it could do them no good!).
We drew the barcodes away in the 3rd round the following season and because of the ban imposed on them playing at home we played as the ‘away’ team at Maine Road - lost 2 nil. My first ever game the following week was….. yep the barcodes at Maine Road. We won 5-1! Should have realised then that following City was never going to be boring :) I bet I have remembered this all wrong!?

We drew the barcodes away in the 3rd round the following season and because of the ban imposed on them playing at home we played as the ‘away’ team at Maine Road - lost 2 nil. My first ever game the following week was….. yep the barcodes at Maine Road. We won 5-1! Should have realised then that following City was never going to be boring :) I bet I have remembered this all wrong!?
united got beat 2-0 in the fa cup by newcastle that year, and their next match was newcastle ,which they won 5-1

rag

I certainly remember the cup match! When the draw was made I was very disappointed because Newcastle were a tough nut to crack at their place, but then when I realised it would be played at our place I thought "no problem"! I still had a few hard lessons to come in 1975! And that came after the 1957 cup; the winners of the cup in 1955 at home to the cup winners of 1956, and a repeat of the 1955 final. Ended in a draw, 1-1 Maine Road the following Wednesday - City 3-0 up at half time .... and managed to lose 5-4!

I certainly remember the cup match! When the draw was made I was very disappointed because Newcastle were a tough nut to crack at their place, but then when I realised it would be played at our place I thought "no problem"! I still had a few hard lessons to come in 1975! And that came after the 1957 cup; the winners of the cup in 1955 at home to the cup winners of 1956, and a repeat of the 1955 final. Ended in a draw, 1-1 Maine Road the following Wednesday - City 3-0 up at half time .... and managed to lose 5-4!
But the 4-3 in 68 was good,plus the cup game in 69.

I just about remember Denis back heeling the goal, how you remember all that about the Geordies I don't know.
Oh and whilst Southampton and Birmingham won please don't let facts get in the way of a good story. As far as I am concerned and until my dying day WE Manchester City, RELEGATED the rags, end of, thank you and goodnight.

united got beat 2-0 in the fa cup by newcastle that year, and their next match was newcastle ,which they won 5-1

rag
This is quite an emotional moment for me. Nearly a thousand posts and my first ‘rag’
Thank you SPF I feel honoured.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.