United Thread - 2021/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
The gift that keeps on giving! Zinedine who!! :)

They've just sacked a manager because he was useless primarily, but he also had zero experience of managing a top level club. They only appointed him because he scored a goal 22 years ago and he blasted through £400m in 3 years to leave them in a worse position than when Mourinho left.

They have replaced him with a guy who has no experience of manager a top level club, nor has any top level club been linked with him in recent years. The level of expectation at a club like United is huge - they are expected to win trophies every year, or it's a failure. This isn't a job like Leipzig or some other provincial German town. It's a world away from Dortmund and Bayern Munich too.

He has never managed a player like Ronaldo, Pogba, Fernandes or Maguire etc - and whether you agree or not, these players will believe they can be the best in the world in their positions. They are plucking him from a poor league where he wasn't even a manager. Now, as much as I think Zidane wouldn't be a good choice either, the guy will command respect for (a) being a top class player and (b) winning titles with Real Madrid where they expect top trophies every year. He's also done it recently.

I cannot see any logic in this at all, it's absolute desperation and I honestly think that any manager worth his salt is looking at them and thinking "poison chalice". Fergie is still pouring the wine, Ronaldo runs the dressing room, Mike Phelan will be taking training - the whole lot of it is rotten and past it's date. Mourinho knew the score there.

You don't bring in someone to sort out a club like United for 6 months. The job is probably a 10 year project for someone who is absolutely world class. I bet if you asked City's board how long it would take to get them into shape they would say £2bn, 10 years and Pep or Klopp.

Honestly, if I was United I would be looking at clubs like Dortmund, Ajax, Atalanta, Napoli and maybe even Leicester and looking at their setup. I'd be looking at their youth setup and coaches. Jeez, I'd even think I'd ask Fergie to phone up van der Sar and van Gouw for an informal chat to see if they'd fancy a step up. At least they "understand the club". The price they will pay for Fergie running the whole lot of it is that they are now a decade behind the top clubs - at least - and still have no idea on what they need to do. Contrast that with Khaldoon, it's like the guy has been running football clubs since he was born.

It's a basket case and this guy who's coming in sounds like he will ruffle feathers. And it will piss off the playing staff heartily! Then at the end of the season, a new manager will come in and Ralf will move upstairs. Does that sound like a sound strategic plan to you?

I don't know a single United fan who's happy with this. It doesn't matter how you spin it, but tomorrow reminds me of when we were getting linked with top managers in the 90s and we ended up with.... Brian Horton. As much as I liked Horton, he wasn't George Graham or Dave Bassett etc! :) United promised Pochettino and Zidane and ended up with another PE teacher!!!

LONG MAY IT CONTINUE!

I kind of feel I’m at the same point with United managers as I am with the players they sign.

Doesn’t matter how good they are, there’s so much wrong there that it won’t move the needle much from the past 5-10 years.

Rangnick may well be a decent football "philosopher" but I can't see the gegenpress tactic getting very far with the current squad - at least half, probably more - are either too slow or too lazy or both. It'll take two or three transfer windows to sort that lot out. Reading about him he seems a little like Bielsa in that he's highly respected by other coaches but has relatively little success in his own right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.