United Thread - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I understand it, the point that is being discussed is the rags' run of fixtures since the derby.

The media are trumpeting their "one defeat in 17", or whatever it is.

The point that’s being made is that in those games, they have played supposedly "inferior" opponents, especially in their Thursday night cup games and against Burnley in the League Cup.

Even you can’t deny this to be true.
Not difficult to understand, is it?

The subject is the Premier League, that’s what this discussion has been about. Comparing league and domestic cup fixtures / Europa league etc is is comparing apples with oranges and the fact is that the rags have demonstrably had tougher fixtures than we have, so far this season.
Taking into account the games since the derby, well it’s undeniable that they can only beat the team that they’re facing. Regardless of what those fixtures were, the rags had to beat those teams and they did in all but 1 instance. Which isn’t to be sniffed at.

We ourselves have dropped points at home to Brentford and Everton this season, any team can drop points against teams that they ‘should’ beat. The rags doing well in that run doesn’t diminish the fact that they have had more difficult fixtures than us overall, that they’re only 4 points behind us and we have more difficult fixtures than they do going forward . . possibly 4 points more difficult?

You could even make the reasoned argument that; If the rags take 12 points from their 2 games against Palace and 2 games against Leeds, and if we get say 2 wins and 2 draws in our corresponding 2 games against Arsenal and 2 games against Spurs then they’re level pegging with us (except goal difference) if everything else is equal.
IMO The big differentiator is next weekend when we play them at the swamp. They’ll have home advantage and we desperately need to beat them to give us a cushion between us and them as we enter the more difficult part of our season and they enter the more favourable part of theirs.

We’re having a good season so far, we’re only 2 points behind where we were at this stage last season, so not far off the trajectory we needed to win the league. The difference this year is that the Arse have been exceptional, Newcastle are risen from the ashes and the rags have finally started to play like a serious football team, as proven by their performance to date.

My point is that they really are proper opposition and all this puffing out of chests and saying that “they’ve had easier fixtures” bollox and stupid whataboutery, (comparing how the premier league fixtures work to how prize fighting matches work!), doesn’t detract from them being opposition to take seriously, as their league position demonstrates.

Me? Well personally, I hope we stuff them. I think that if we play at our best we could cane them and, if that happens, I’ll celebrate it in full knowledge that those 3 points go some way towards nullifying their favourable fixtures advantage going forward.
I think that the rags have had slightly more difficult fixtures in the P/L. However, in Europe, their fixtures have been easier by some margin. If you add the 2 lots of fixtures together then the rags could be seen to have had a more favourable run than City.
I believe that this was what the previous poster meant by his comment.

I think that the rags have had slightly more difficult fixtures in the P/L. However, in Europe, their fixtures have been easier by some margin. If you add the 2 lots of fixtures together then the rags could be seen to have had a more favourable run than City.
I believe that this was what the previous poster meant by his comment.

The discussion was in the context of the up and coming derby. It’s a league game, the form we’re talking about is league form. Clubs put out all kinds of different teams in cup competitions, rest players, play the kids and they’re knock outs which have no bearing on league form.

There was some puffing out of the chests going on. The dink poster was putting across that the rags are shit and that their ‘much lauded by the press’ recent run was not indicative of their good form because they’d only beaten shite teams.
It was annoying boasting and based on bravado not facts.

So I responded by saying that the rags deserve respect (in a footballing opposition sense) because they’d actually had a tougher set of league fixtures than us and then the dink got abusive - accused me of being a fanny wiper because I’d proven him wrong.

Next salute another one intervened to support the dink by trying to compare the way opponents are arranged in the league fixture system with the standing of professional boxing opponents . . You couldn’t get more apple & orangey if you tried - a proper comedy moment - how I laughed ;-)

Make of it what you will, but I wasn’t wrong in what I said and it’s as plain as day to anyone who follows results.

And, sticking with the tongue in cheek comedy of all this; being right doesn’t make me a fanny wiper. Which was a funny thing for the dink to say - what on earth did he mean by that, was it to offensively suggest that I’m a woman or something - as if it would make me lesser if I were a woman? A misogynistic woman hater showing his colours?
Or was it hate or lust - was it a homophobic slur or maybe his homoerotic imagination coming across?

Last edited:
The discussion was in the context of the up and coming derby. It’s a league game, the form we’re talking about is league form. Clubs put out all kinds of different teams in cup competitions, rest players, play the kids and they’re knock outs which have no bearing on league form.

There was some puffing out of the chests going on. The dink poster was putting across that the rags are shit and that their ‘much lauded by the press’ recent run was not indicative of their good form because they’d only beaten shite teams.

So I responded by saying that the rags deserve respect (in a footballing opposition sense) because they’d actually had a tougher set of league fixtures than us and then the dink got abusive - accused me of being a fanny wiper because I’d proven him wrong.

Next salute another one intervened to support the dink by trying to compare the way opponents are arranged in the league fixture system with the standing of professional boxing opponents . . You couldn’t get more apple & orangey if you tried - a proper comedy moment - how I laughed ;-)

Make of it what you will, but I wasn’t wrong in what I said and it’s as plain as day to anyone who follows results.

And, sticking with the tongue in cheek comedy of all this; being right doesn’t make me a fanny wiper. Which was a funny thing for the dink to say - what on earth did he mean by that, was it to offensively suggestion that I’m a woman or something - as if it would make me lesser if I were a woman? A misogynistic woman hater showing his colours?
Or was it hate or lust - was it a homophobic slur or maybe his homoerotic imagination coming across?
Yes, on league form alone, the rags have had slightly more difficult fixtures. I think that City will prevail though, notwithstanding.

And, sticking with the tongue in cheek comedy of all this; being right doesn’t make me a fanny wiper. Which was a funny thing for the dink to say - what on earth did he mean by that, was it to offensively suggestion that I’m a woman or something - as if it would make me lesser if I were a woman? A misogynistic woman hater showing his colours?
Have you run out of fanny wipes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.