United Thread - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah right then. So, at the end of the season when every team has played every other team twice, the winners might not truly be the winners because they played the same teams that every other team played in a different order?

No of course not, that would be ridiculous, wouldn’t it?

On the same basis, halfway through the season the points gained by each team represents their positioning / their worth as a footballing side in the context of half a season gone.
You can wrap that up anyway you like but it will always remain an indisputable fact.

Also, if you apply your twisted logic to this straightforward issue and persist with the delusion that the rags are absolute shite because they’ve only lost one of their last 10 games but ‘they were favourable fixtures’ then what must you think of us having dropped more points than them in that period.
And keep in mind that we dropped them to Brentford and Everton (surely ’favourable fixtures’) at our own ground.
According to your logic that make the rags shit and us shitter - which really isn’t so is it?

And I’m not in the least peeved that you’ve jumped in to support a deluded tool - you love your moment in the limelight don’t you eh? I’m only disappointed that you didn’t do it by way of an Abba song so that you could choose to select any one of a dozen readings from it after the outcome’s clear to all.
;-D
Is everything ok?

I think something is clear to all...

Ok, if you still think that the rags are only 4 points behind us because they’ve had “favourable fixtures”.

Consider this; the teams that we’ve played and they haven’t are Leeds & Crystal Palace, the teams that they’ve played and we haven’t are Arsenal & Spurs.

I think that it plain to all that Arsenal and Spurs (currently 1st & 5th in the PL) are more fearsome opponents than Crystal Palace & Leeds (currently 12th & 14th in the PL).
This clearly demonstrates that the rags have actually had more difficult fixtures than we have.

We still need to play Arsenal & Spurs twice and the rags need to play Crystal Palace & Leeds twice. Thus, we have a more difficult set of forward fixtures than the rags, which is to their forward advantage.

The facts in the fixture lists make your theory that ‘the rags are only 4 points behind us because they’ve had favourable fixtures’ look a bit wide of target eh?

Ok, if you still think that the rags are only 4 points behind us because they’ve had “favourable fixtures”.

Consider this; the teams that we’ve played and they haven’t are Leeds & Crystal Palace, the teams that they’ve played and we haven’t are Arsenal & Spurs.

I think that it plain to all that Arsenal and Spurs (currently 1st & 5th in the PL) are more fearsome opponents than Crystal Palace & Leeds (currently 12th & 14th in the PL).
This clearly demonstrates that the rags have actually had more difficult fixtures than we have.

We still need to play Arsenal & Spurs twice and the rags need to play Crystal Palace & Leeds twice. Thus, we have a more difficult set of forward fixtures than the rags, which is to their forward advantage.

The facts in the fixture lists make your theory that ‘the rags are only 4 points behind us because they’ve had favourable fixtures’ look a bit wide of target eh?
As I understand it, the point that is being discussed is the rags' run of fixtures since the derby.

The media are trumpeting their "one defeat in 17", or whatever it is.

The point that’s being made is that in those games, they have played supposedly "inferior" opponents, especially in their Thursday night cup games and against Burnley in the League Cup.

Even you can’t deny this to be true.

until last week utd had +4 GD.....were 4th in the table. +3 at the weekend and now look a better side.

after 16 games to be top 4 with +4 GD is ridiculous. with ten 1 nil wins?? they ll implode at the weekend.

Bench haaland and they will have squeeky bums at k.o. FACT.

As I understand it, the point that is being discussed is the rags' run of fixtures since the derby.

The media are trumpeting their "one defeat in 17", or whatever it is.

The point that’s being made is that in those games, they have played supposedly "inferior" opponents, especially in their Thursday night cup games and against Burnley in the League Cup.

Even you can’t deny this to be true.

The subject is the Premier League, that’s what this discussion has been about. Comparing league and domestic cup fixtures / Europa league etc is is comparing apples with oranges and the fact is that the rags have demonstrably had tougher fixtures than we have, so far this season.
Taking into account the games since the derby, well it’s undeniable that they can only beat the team that they’re facing. Regardless of what those fixtures were, the rags had to beat those teams and they did in all but 1 instance. Which isn’t to be sniffed at.

We ourselves have dropped points at home to Brentford and Everton this season, any team can drop points against teams that they ‘should’ beat. The rags doing well in that run doesn’t diminish the fact that they have had more difficult fixtures than us overall, that they’re only 4 points behind us and we have more difficult fixtures than they do going forward . . possibly 4 points more difficult?

You could even make the reasoned argument that; If the rags take 12 points from their 2 games against Palace and 2 games against Leeds, and if we get say 2 wins and 2 draws in our corresponding 2 games against Arsenal and 2 games against Spurs then they’re level pegging with us (except goal difference) if everything else is equal.
IMO The big differentiator is next weekend when we play them at the swamp. They’ll have home advantage and we desperately need to beat them to give us a cushion between us and them as we enter the more difficult part of our season and they enter the more favourable part of theirs.

We’re having a good season so far, we’re only 2 points behind where we were at this stage last season, so not far off the trajectory we needed to win the league. The difference this year is that the Arse have been exceptional, Newcastle are risen from the ashes and the rags have finally started to play like a serious football team, as proven by their performance to date.

My point is that they really are proper opposition and all this puffing out of chests and saying that “they’ve had easier fixtures” bollox and stupid whataboutery, (comparing how the premier league fixtures work to how prize fighting matches work!), doesn’t detract from them being opposition to take seriously, as their league position demonstrates.

Me? Well personally, I hope we stuff them. I think that if we play at our best we could cane them and, if that happens, I’ll celebrate it in full knowledge that those 3 points go some way towards nullifying their favourable fixtures advantage going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.