United Thread - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tbf to ten Hag, he was never going to be able to play his way with the flotsam and jetsam of the footballing world he inherited there. That's why I was surprised he went straight in in the first two games and got splattered.

Let's see if he is pragmatic enough to play a more "United way" until he has the people he needs to play his way. I am not sure he is, tbh, in which case he may not be there very long.
If the rag scouting network was trying to recruit Ten Bob type players, I could understand him trying to imement his philosophy. Buying, or trying to buy anyone and everyone that may be available, is not a philosophy. The first thing he needs to buy is a keeper, they won't let him so its hoof ball.

If the rag scouting network was trying to recruit Ten Bob type players, I could understand him trying to imement his philosophy. Buying, or trying to buy anyone and everyone that may be available, is not a philosophy. The first thing he needs to buy is a keeper, they won't let him so its hoof ball.

We will see at the weekend, I suppose.

For the money they've spent, and the ridiculous wages they are paying their Hollywood players, I'd have expected a little more than just hoof-ball all night. Alpaca picks up the ball in his area and just gives it a mighty wallop: anywhere will do, just get the ball away.

Billions of pounds spent and they are a glorified pub team. And if that's the way they are going why not appoint Pulis or Fat Sam instead of Ten Bob? Would be cheaper.

For the money they've spent, and the ridiculous wages they are paying their Hollywood players, I'd have expected a little more than just hoof-ball all night. Alpaca picks up the ball in his area and just gives it a mighty wallop: anywhere will do, just get the ball away.
Billions of pounds spent and they are a glorified pub team. And if that's the way they are going why not appoint Pulis or Fat Sam instead of Ten Bob? Would be cheaper.

Let's not kid ourselves, the rags game on Monday night was a return to GPCs route one, kick and rush football, it worked for him then and I can't see them altering it in any way. Although most player's look shattered at around 60/70mins the introduction of 5 subs will help them immensely.

I think Hoofball was only rolled out for the Liverpool game. Once they play Southampton they think they’ll be able to pass their way through them. The belief that “we’re Manchester United so we’ll beat this lot” permeates the entire club, hence panic stations at a home defeat to Brighton, who by all objective analysis are simply a better team than them, hence playing from the back at Brentford without the personnel or regular drilling to achieve that.
So the rags will be in the shit again this weekend. I love it when a philosophy is implemented.

Hope this clears it up:

In The principle of tolerance, Jacob Bronowski discusses a vital but neglected characteristic of science: that ''all information is imperfect'', and ''our ability to work and act in the real world depends on our accepting a tolerance in our recognition and in our language''. The nineteenth century ideal that "science should speak the perfect factual truth has turned out to be inaccessible". But this should not be a cause for regret, because "if things had to be identical before you could recognize them, you would never recognize anything at all". The principle of tolerance is the judgment that two instances are sufficiently similar that we can treat them as the same for present purposes. "Tolerance - is the essential safeguard, the essential degree of coarseness which makes it possible to work with abstract entities in the real world". Too much tolerance and you are misled by random variation; too little tolerance and you lose valuable information. The most beneficial degree of tolerance must be a matter of judgment because it cannot be determined in advance. So, the best level of tolerance is known only retrospectively, by comparing the rate of progress of science when a greater or lesser degree of tolerance is assumed. The judgment of tolerance which led to the fastest scientific progress is justified as having been the best. Science therefore needs to tolerate different judgments of tolerance among scientists, allowing a multiplicity of levels of tolerance to coexist and compete. Bronowski's principle of tolerance locates the roots of science in the domain of human creativity, in the necessity for personal judgment in science, and in the provisional and progressive nature of scientific truth: "You have to tell the truth the way you see it. And yet you have to be tolerant of the fact that neither you nor the man you are arguing with is going to get it right".
Unfortunately Bronowski was not so hot on paragraphs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.