United Thread - 2023/24

Perhaps some of the financial gurus on here could comment on whether United with their present borrowings - plus other monies it is assumed the Glazers have borrowed against Man Uniteds assets - whether they have the financial option to borrow another 2 or 3 billion - I’m sure with their income they could make bond repayments but would the financial markets react favourably to them having debts of 5 to 6 times their annual income ? That’s why I think Scuffy Jim is floating this idea - he knows their no direct public money but he’s hoping for tax breaks and a few development grants etc. and they’ll create a separate (shell) entity (registered in the Cayman Islands) building a Wembley of the north and then funding it privately with a guarantee of games from the FA and UEFA - (Gill will be greasing a few palms) - and United will get a new stadium with the costs not on their books but with an annual fee to play their and no costs associated with the stadium or its upkeep on their books. No doubt that entity will go bust in a few years but no one will really care and United will take on the assets and liabilities for £1.

A red i know said “well you had a stadium built for you, why shouldnt we?”

Well we didnt have a stadium built for us did we. Manchester built a stadium for the commonwealth games, and we agreed to take it on as tenants post games, otherwise it would have been a total white elephant (at best) or demolished (at worse).

Our deal with the council was beneficial for both parties.
We havent had it for free.

Also, when i said “you want a ground redeveloped/rebuilt for free AGAIN” he had no idea what i meant. Gave him a clue with world cup 66? Nope. So then just told him, to which his reply was “bollocks”

Ah well
As I’ve said before, if we hadn’t agreed to take on the Commonwealth Games stadium (CoMS), it would never have been built.

A temporary one would have been erected for the Games.

I just heard on the news that the Rags are planning to move some season ticket holders next season to make way for academy players and that going forward fans must attend 17 of 19 home league games or risk losing their season ticket.

Interesting excercise in customer relations!
Imagine being forced to physically watch that shower at least 17 times!!

I suppose if they lose season ticket holders, they could sell the seats to MI5/MI6 to use as a form of mental torture on terrorists, instead of water-boarding

Correct. Planned 80,000, actual about 20,000
One of the very few City away wins I have witnessed was at Vale Park, in the 1999/2000 season.

1-0 down at half-time, Joe brought Bish and SWP on, and they caused absolute havoc in the Vale defence.

We won 2-1.

I’ve also seen us win at Home Park, Plymouth and Plainmoor, Torquay.

One of the very few City away wins I have witnessed was at Vale Park, in the 1999/2000 season.

1-0 down at half-time, Joe brought Bish and SWP on, and they caused absolute havoc in the Vale defence.

We won 2-1.

I’ve also seen us win at Home Park, Plymouth and Plainmoor, Torquay.
I watched us win a pre-season friendly there, Dickov scored and Barton I think. I was sat about 20 seats away from Paul Power.

If they do build a new stadium what will happen with the current one. Presumably it will be knocked down but Id hope it wouldn't stay an urban wasteland and they'd actually attempt to improve the area. Maybe a sewage works?
Scruffy Jim has said that it could be used as their training facilities and for the Ladies team. So probably trying to keep it whilst the mens team play in a swanky new stadium.
Meanwhile, their current training ground at Carrington could then be used for fracking.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.