United Thread - 2023/24

They will never move forward till they ditch their obsession with the past. They have become a parody club. All I heard today in the media was stuff about "The Class of 92" and their famous battle with Arsenal. The world of football is moving forward more rapidly than ever. It is absurd for United and their fans (and a dying media) to fixate on what happened 25 years ago. The first rule of modern business is if you can't embrace change you will die.
I had a similar short conversation with a rag supporter last week. I honestly believe they largely thought it would be business as usual when Fergie left, and that the success would continue.They have wasted so much money , time, resources etc. attempting to remain relevant and keep pace. There should have been a massive reset when the dictator retired but they were too shortsighted and self obsessed. This "hung up on the past" mentality you refer to is all too obvious, which is helping to keep the club suppressed. Long may it continue.

I'm still salivating at the thought of the Waistcoat being there next season. Dull, uninspiring football led by a dull, uninspiring man.
But even if Southgate doesn't take it their only real alternative would be Tuchel, and they won't like him at all - too demanding for the rags.
Would he be allowed to park in Slurs space?

I had a similar short conversation with a rag supporter last week. I honestly believe they largely thought it would be business as usual when Fergie left, and that the success would continue.They have wasted so much money , time, resources etc. attempting to remain relevant and keep pace. There should have been a massive reset when the dictator retired but they were too shortsighted and self obsessed. This "hung up on the past" mentality you refer to is all too obvious, which is helping to keep the club suppressed. Long may it continue.

They need to realise Taggert was an outlier for what the club has achieved in its existence not the norm. They were exactly the same before him as they are now, expensive group of players that might win an odd domestic cup here and there that can’t compete for the big trophies. They’ve only had 3 managers in their entire history that have won the league, City’s current and last two managers have won a league as a comparison.

In 1986, as a teenager, I spent the summer holiday in France and stayed with friends of my parents. I was there to improve my French, and living exclusively with non-English speakers certainly helped. I knew before I went that when I told people I was from Manchester, they would not say “Ah, Man-shess-stair… ‘ome of Joseph ’Olt’s Bittair… the Smeeeths… Coronation Stureet…” but would instead invoke the name of that horrible club by the Ship Canal. So it was all rehearsed when I went on a rant, in fluent French, about why they thought that club were worth mentioning when they’d won 3 FA Cups, the Second Division championship, and nothing else in my - and their - entire lifetime - and how my team - who’d won the title more recently than l’écume, the Cup Winner’s Cup, the FA Cup, and 2 League Cups - were as famous as 1860 Munich, Torino, Espanyol, and other Ugly Duckling clubs throughout the world.

A little part of me hopes that those French teenagers I ranted to 40 years ago about Manchester City will remember that the Current Champions of Europe did not come into existence in 2007, but had survived the wilderness years on the support of thousands of believer Blues who’ve now got their reward. When my kids tell European teenagers where they’re from, the first thing those teenagers will associate with Manchester is City.

The other lot will go the way of the Beetamax, into the dustbin of history.

In 1986, as a teenager, I spent the summer holiday in France and stayed with friends of my parents. I was there to improve my French, and living exclusively with non-English speakers certainly helped. I knew before I went that when I told people I was from Manchester, they would not say “Ah, Man-shess-stair… ‘ome of Joseph ’Olt’s Bittair… the Smeeeths… Coronation Stureet…” but would instead invoke the name of that horrible club by the Ship Canal. So it was all rehearsed when I went on a rant, in fluent French, about why they thought that club were worth mentioning when they’d won 3 FA Cups, the Second Division championship, and nothing else in my - and their - entire lifetime - and how my team - who’d won the title more recently than l’écume, the Cup Winner’s Cup, the FA Cup, and 2 League Cups - were as famous as 1860 Munich, Torino, Espanyol, and other Ugly Duckling clubs throughout the world.

A little part of me hopes that those French teenagers I ranted to 40 years ago about Manchester City will remember that the Current Champions of Europe did not come into existence in 2007, but had survived the wilderness years on the support of thousands of believer Blues who’ve now got their reward. When my kids tell European teenagers where they’re from, the first thing those teenagers will associate with Manchester is City.

The other lot will go the way of the Beetamax, into the dustbin of history.
Tres brien joue, mon vieux !! Salut a vous , et allez les Bleus !!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.