United Thread - 2023/24

I think if your business is struggling (and I think, on balance, their wider business has to be) then hope will usually trump cold logic.

I think it’s likely they need that sum, or something resembling it, to clear the decks from their ailing mall business and have enough left over. I simply can’t see that arm of their empire bring anything other than a huge millstone round their necks in the current market place.
If its correct that the United shares are security on the loans to the Mall how would that work if the Malls went bust, banks or whoever loaned them the money get to sell the club for them?

So fake Haaland had a bit of pace over a short distance, but he is so raw and thats the problem . scum dont develop players and so any talent he has will not be properly channelled by the training team. They are the worst team he could have gone to for career development .
but he'll be a wealth young man

Where’s that Pope meme?!
andy burnham dislikes this post

01gyg8vjf52zhf71ysys.jpg

If its correct that the United shares are security on the loans to the Mall how would that work if the Malls went bust, banks or whoever loaned them the money get to sell the club for them?
I guess so. Same as the Telegraph sale, where Lloyds took possession after they couldn't meet a debt.

I don’t think that last point is right, save that the rot can ultimately be dated to the Rock of Gibraltar fiasco.

in his last season GPC won the title by a distance with more or less the same team that would struggle to make seventh a year later. That in itself is evidence that he was the glue that held everything together. I would argue that the rags post Ferguson haven’t under achieved, but they massively over achieved with GPC at the helm.

Since he has gone, that which he held together has started to unravel. We lose count of the number of good players who have gone there, turned to shit, left and then rediscovered their ability elsewhere. Sancho is probably just the latest in a long line. Even with VAR they do not get the protection from referees they once did.

The ultimate problem it seems to me is the extent to which the current board is in complete thrall to United’s reputation. They sneered at us for buying success, now they are buying failure. They sneered at Chelsea for the rate they went through managers but they are now on their fifth since the GPC (not including the times they gave it Giggsy till the end of the season) and many are calling for him to go. They sneered at Liverpool for clinging to their history, now it is all they have left.

United have pandered to what their fans have wanted. They wanted a new manager? They got one. They wanted a superstar striker? They got one. They wanted to get one over on City in the transfer market? They got one.

They have done none of the things that club needs. Have they invested in the ground or the training facilities? No. Have they invested in their youth section or their academy? No. Anything that requires major capital investment for long term reward they have steered away from in favour of short term revenue gains. The Glazers are complicit in appeasing their supporter base, because keeping their support sweet is what keeps them spending money, which leaves the Glazers able to keep milking the cash cow, rather than doing what the club needs, and that is what is ultimately responsible for their decline.

On that, the buck stops with them.
If “keeping their supporters sweet” was a key objective, it’s been a more epic fail than ever. They’ve managed to spunk zillions whilst alienating their fan base.

I agree that the GPC was the glue. Like other despots outside football, people like him eventually reach their sell-by date. He didn’t build a dynasty and the club didn’t build a proper infrastructure because it all revolved around him. The Shopkeepers kept him on in a position of power because they had nobody with football knowledge to turn to, nor the competence and balls to make a clean sweep. The rest is history - a tale we have enjoyed immensely.

I'm even wondering if this whole charade around a sale wasn't simply an attempt to bolster the share price to secure a refinancing of the debt on their mall business. If they withdraw from a sale process then it's entirely possible they've secured the finance they need for that.
Seems perfectly plausible. Doesn’t mean they won’t have sold for £10bn, but it’s perfectly possible that wasn’t the primary aim of the process.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.