United Thread - 2023/24

If “keeping their supporters sweet” was a key objective, it’s been a more epic fail than ever. They’ve managed to spunk zillions whilst alienating their fan base.

I agree that the GPC was the glue. Like other despots outside football, people like him eventually reach their sell-by date. He didn’t build a dynasty and the club didn’t build a proper infrastructure because it all revolved around him. The Shopkeepers kept him on in a position of power because they had nobody with football knowledge to turn to, nor the competence and balls to make a clean sweep. The rest is history - a tale we have enjoyed immensely.

And there are no signs that they have learned anything to allow them to move forward anytime soon.

Clinging on to past history

Ed Woodward was an investment banker, employed by the Glazers prior to the take over. He was running the club from 2012 - 2022. All of the players that don't want to leave the club, are a direct result of the bumper contracts that Ed Woodward gave them. Not only do they not want to leave, no other clubs can match their wages. They were only able to ship out Mata, Jones, De Gea, Pogba and Lingard because their contracts had expired. They've still got Van De Beek, Maguire, Martial, Bailly and McTominay that won't leave. If you combined all of the salaries of these deadwood (or Ed Wood) players, you'd easily be looking at 100m per season.

That's money that should be invested into the squad on an annual basis. Instead of dipping into all of the money made from fans & sponsorship. On paper, they should be a very profitable club. They made a profit of 1.5bn over the the term of Glazer ownership, but they squandered it on debt repayments, and poor decisions on player recruitment. They also lined their own pockets taking dividends out of these profits.

This rumour that they value the club at double what they were offered, only highlights how out of touch from reality they really are. The Glazer siblings are like an episode of succession. None of them have any talent or business acumen, they are squabbling with each other, trying to milk dry the investments that their father made for them. Not one of them is brave enough to come out and make a statement or have any sort of dialogue with the fans. It's all middle men and consultants.

And riddle me this. If you have an asset that is valued at 5bn. And you run it into the ground for a further 2 years, not investing or improving the value. Why would you think it could be worth 10bn in 2025???
What do they know that everybody else doesn't?
Glazers stay for 10 more years.....

Wouldn’t be surprised if/when they decide to sell again next year or whenever , then a buyer of the quality of the Qataris may not step forward for the money they expect !

Can someone more knowledgeable than me sum up why they haven't been sold yet? I thought there were several bidders lined up?

I guess so. Same as the Telegraph sale, where Lloyds took possession after they couldn't meet a debt.
The way the glazzers operate is to load masses of debt on to the business with the business acting as the security as well as some of their own money. It might not be linked to other property debt but once one thing starts to wobble they would look to others to keep it afloat. So money extracted from the rags is probably used to prop up other bad investments.

As a business deal the glazzers are killing it with the ownership of the rags. Bleeding it dry yet could sell for a massive return on their original investment. I dof my hat .

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.