United Thread - 2023/24

In reality, although the Glazers are shite owners for United (creating a wholly unsustainable setup for the long term) and for the league as a whole (trying to Americanise the competition to ensure they can suck even more value from their investment), they aren’t the reason the Rags are absolute shite on the pitch.

They’ve spent plenty on player and staff recruitment (it’s just been via loans and equity deals that are unsustainable) and invested in other parts of the club related to match performance. The issue is the former outlay has been largely squandered on either the wrong (decent) players (which are made horrible by the move to a dysfunctional team) or just plain poor quality players that not only add nothing to the team but actually make it worse. And the latter outlay was arguably investment in all the wrong things for long term success.

If the Glazers were the major decision makers in all of it that then they should be blamed for the state United are in. But by all accounts, most of player and staff acquisitions have come from the executive and management level, and the other off-pitch investments from the executive level, largely on the basis of optimising commercial potential, rather than maximising sporting competitiveness.

That strategy can work to grow revenue in the short term, but ultimately the football club is an entertainment product, and as the quality of that product deteriorates, so does potential commercial opportunity, thus hitting the bottom line hard. And that—as it does in other industries—can begin the vicious death spiral of lower net revenue, which leads to being able to invest less in product quality, that causes quality to decline, which leads to less sales and higher liability costs from all areas of the business, which leads to less net revenue, and so on.

Really the executives and the mid-level staff below the Glazers are most to blame for the shambles that shite club is in, many of which they inherited.

But the fans don’t want to really acknowledge that because it would mean acknowledging that their mostly British-origin in-house “talent” have been woefully incompetent, that the structure of the club is severely flawed, and the recruitment, in turn, will continue to be laughable, regardless of whether they get new owners. The amount of change and restructuring needed to right the ship is colossal and—as in other types of businesses—it’s easier to find singular scapegoats than to face the real monumental task of burning it all down to the foundation and rebuilding.

In other industries this is the equivalent of pushing out the chairman of the board or hastily replacing the CEO: if the company structure and culture is shite, this only kicks the can down the road, until you eventually hit a towering, flaming mountain of tin.

Rag supporters cannot bare the idea that they will have to suffer far more before they have a chance of experiencing true glory again.

So it’s yellow and green scarves and #GlazersOut.

Because the fantasy is almost always better than the reality when you are suffering.

—————————————————————————-

TL;DR

The Rags are fucked in the near term, new owners or not, their fans just don’t want to face reality.
Sorry mate, it’s not often I disagree with you, and I’m somewhat swimming against the tide on here, but of course it’s all ultimately the Glazers‘ fault.

They have executive control of the direction and strategy of the club, including the hiring of senior personnel. The buck has to stop with them because they ultimately have the power to do something about it. Yes, they’ve supported the Club in terms of transfers, but the associated poor recruitment ultimately has to rest with them. If they’d hired the right people (especially in terms of player recruitment) had the right structure in place, and had a workable vision for the club, then United wouldn’t be the shambles they are today. All these things were within their gift to address if they’d had the wherewithal.

The money the club has spent since they last won the PL plainly supports the argument that they are terrible owners, not the other way round as others are suggesting; as much as spending £100k on a twenty year old Mondeo with 250,000 miles on the clock does not make you a great used car dealer. It’s actually a preposterous argument to equate profligacy with worthwhile support.

They are clearly completely clueless and that will infect all levels of the organisation they own and ultimately operate. .

united were imperious when they bought the club and now, twenty years later, they are a laughing stock. Who else could or should ultimately carry the can for that reduction during that period?

Last edited:
You are absolutely correct in blaming senior management BUT who employed them? An unpopular statement I know but the Glazers put this senior management in place and if they are sh1t, which they are, then they are to blame. The buck stops at the top.
I don’t understand why this is even being debated.

Sorry mate, it’s not often I disagree with you, and I’m somewhat swimming against the tide on here, but of course it’s all ultimately the Glazers‘ fault.

They have executive control of the direction and strategy of the club, including the hiring of senior personnel. The buck has to stop with them because they ultimately have the power to do something about it. Yes, they’ve supported the Club in terms of transfers, but the associated poor recruitment ultimately has to rest with them. If they’d recruited the right people (especially in terms of recruitment) had the right structure in place, and had a workable vision for the club, then United wouldn’t be the shambles they are today. All these things were within their gift to address if they’d had the wherewithal.

The money the club has spent since they last won the PL plainly supports the argument that they are terrible owners, not the other way round as others are suggesting, as much as spending £100k on a twenty year old Mondeo with 250,000 miles on the clock does not make you a great used car dealer. It’s actually a preposterous argument to equate profligacy with worthwhile support.

united we’re imperious when they bought the club and now, twenty years later, they are a laughing stock. Who else could or should ultimately carry the can for that reduction during that period?
Unfortunately, I still disagree.

Could the Glazers have affected some change? Sure. And they have by all accounts attempted to do so. Do they share some of the blame? Of course. Making the club a publicly traded interest alone was a major mistake that they are still struggling to manage now, beyond their extractive practices.

As I said in my OP, they are bad owners, both for the Rags and for the league.

But the main drivers of the truly breathtaking level of shiteness United now embody are beyond them.

There has been politics being played throughout their tenure, including at the executive level within the club, with dealing and rivalries, many of which they have not been able stop.

And the structure of the club itself is dysfunctional and, in some areas, outright toxic. That was the case before they arrived, and to fix that requires a complete restructuring (and rebuilding). Much of the persistence of those situations has been down the supporter pressures not allowing them to actually take steps toward that.

All of that in mind, I have to reiterate my overarching point: new owners are not going to get United back to anywhere near their level when Ferguson was in charge, not in the near term, anyway.

The club needs to be razed to the foundations and rebuilt. And the fans will never allow that.

And Ferguson should carry much of the blame for all of this, as well, as his caring more about his legacy than succession planning planted the seed for the immense dysfunction to come (and his management style had already created a morass in his final years).

To your point of them being clueless, I also disagree. I think they have always known exactly what they were doing. They saw this dysfunction in pre-acquisition discovery. But they also saw the massive opportunity for value extraction. And they executed on a plan for maximum extraction via leveraged buyout and continual debt financing. Eventually, they’ll sell the club once the well runs dry for tidy profit and move on to their next entertainment venture, bank-rolled largely by another bank.

They aren’t clueless, they are just bad football owners based on what football fans want for their clubs.

TL;DR

New owners will not save United.

As an aside. Just checked the EPL league table.

The scum are now in 11th place, in disarray and our Blues are guess what, erm top.

It’s taken a few years but something I never thought I’d see in my life.

Remember the “almost over now” thing.

Well, pretty much over now.

Long may it continue.

They have executive control of the direction and strategy of the club, including the hiring of senior personnel. The buck has to stop with them because they ultimately have the power to do something about it. Yes, they’ve supported the Club in terms of transfers, but the associated poor recruitment ultimately has to rest with them. If they’d hired the right people (especially in terms of player recruitment) had the right structure in place, and had a workable vision for the club, then United wouldn’t be the shambles they are today. All these things were within their gift to address if they’d had the wherewithal.

The money the club has spent since they last won the PL plainly supports the argument that they are terrible owners, not the other way round as others are suggesting; as much as spending £100k on a twenty year old Mondeo with 250,000 miles on the clock does not make you a great used car dealer. It’s actually a preposterous argument to equate profligacy with worthwhile support. They are clearly completely clueless.

united we’re imperious when they bought the club and now, twenty years later, they are a laughing stock. Who else could or should ultimately carry the can for that reduction during that period?
You are of course correct, but we wouldn't have it any other way given a choice would we?

We should just enjoy it while it lasts.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.