Universal basic income

Hard to wrap your head around it on the face of things, but the reason there's more and more conversation around it is that the places that have tried it have seen positive results.

Think the latest trial in Finland found the people who were put on UBI ended up taking on more paid employment than the ones who didn't.

It also saves on a lot of the costs involved of administrating a means tested system.

There are health and wellbeing benefits that save the public money in the long term and they also found that people used it as an opportunity to take on a job with fewer hours and then use spare time to do volunteering and care work (which again saves the govenrnment money). Believe it or not, the vast majority don't want to sit around on their arse all day. Laziness is not the main reason why a lot of people remain long term unemployed

Even if you were to provide a comprehensive cost/benefit analysis on it that found it's worth doing, some people will remain ideologically opposed to the idea.

It sounds bold but maybe the next few years, with so much rebuilding to be done, will require us to be bold. We're going to hit rock bottom in the wake of all this and we won't have much to lose if we were to try and become a world leader in rebuilding a greener economy. Ideas like UBI will have to come into play.

If Starmer makes this his number one policy he’ll piss the next election.

UBI has been very successful in finland. Our political parties seem averse to giving the people anything in this corprocratic country.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not a magic bullet by any means. And there will be downsides. But i think it would be at least a start if people opened up their minds to the idea. Some people try to shut down the conversation from the off with with very reductive arguments like "free money, how stupid". There's obviously more to it than that and there are indirect financial benefits from schemes like this. I don't think the idea is going to go away and i'll be watching with interest how it works in other countries.

It's pretty clear that our current welfare system isnt working so I'm open to new creative ways of looking at it.

Yeah I think we need to see how it works in other countries, and what works well/doesn't, but it's always seemed more ideological than practical/effective to me.

For me, I think you can improve outcomes within the current benefits system simply by adjusting the money that people get. At the moment, a huge number of people get less than what the cheapest housing/room on the market costs and that's how a lot of people end up on the street, especially if they've got addiction problems.

One way to get round that and save on the housing benefit bill has already been suggested on this thread (mass social housing programme) but not very likely when the current chancellor has 15 houses and most MPs in Parliament (my Labour MP included) are BTL landlords.

It’s been trialled (and then abandoned) in only one country, Finland, between 2017-18.

So how do you mean it’s been successful in Scandinavia?
It was always a trial with a definite end date. They were never going to introduce it straightaway. What they will do along with all other 1st world countries is introduce it when they have no choice because of mass unemployment and civil unrest, probably in the next 10 to 20 years.

I'm not sure how this works but my (very limited) understanding is that you set a level, say 500/week, which you guaranteed to every member of the country over 18. But at the same time you remove any and all welfare benefits so no matter who you are you are guaranteed 500 a week. If you work you get it on top of your wages but if you're unemployed you would get no other benefits so your 500 would go to paying your rent or mortgage, food, Bill's etc.

The total cost would be (probably far) higher than the current welfare bill but proponents say that it would bring huge additional benefits to peoples health and quality of life etc.

Is that how it is supposed to work or have I got it totally wrong?

In the FInland trial they gave people the universal income but took away their unemployment benefits leaving many of them out of pocket, if they had have rolled this out them people who already had more money would have just got more free money.

I'm not sure how this works but my (very limited) understanding is that you set a level, say 500/week, which you guaranteed to every member of the country over 18. But at the same time you remove any and all welfare benefits so no matter who you are you are guaranteed 500 a week. If you work you get it on top of your wages but if you're unemployed you would get no other benefits so your 500 would go to paying your rent or mortgage, food, Bill's etc.

The total cost would be (probably far) higher than the current welfare bill but proponents say that it would bring huge additional benefits to peoples health and quality of life etc.

Yes although in the one trial (Finland), they only got £490 per month which is very similar to the UK’s Universal Credit in amount.

Yes although in the one trial (Finland), they only got £490 per month which is very similar to the UK’s Universal Credit in amount.

Cheers. It sounds like it would come down to a decision between spending more to creat better lives for everyone against the potential costs to the exchequer - would they be so onerous as to negate the benefits or would the increase in living standards be so big that the cost would be seen to be worth it?

Instinctively I would be for it but it's not as simple as that. Free money is never really free etc etc

Pretty much plus the gov subsidise so much as well. Think about it, 95% of food banks would disappear etc. There is also the taxation of companies with automation. Think about a warehouse with 300 worker paid £320p/w the government could tax a third of that which is far more than they would tax the worker, and the company would still save on wages, HR, electricity, insurance, uniforms etc. Then factor in the savings on health etc and your on your way. All imo of course.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.