Urgent help required on Laptop

Nightmare Walking said:
TCIB said:
Hopefully they did a quick wipe that just tells the computer that the sectors can be written over.
If they hard wiped it you may be stuck.

You need data recobery app like <a class="postlink" href="https://www.piriform.com/recuva/download" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.piriform.com/recuva/download</a>
I can probably get you any programs you lost nw if you need such help.

Cheers TCIB. At the minute I am a bit gob smacked. It was a purely superficial fault. They had absolutely no need to even power the machine up. I would have fixed it myself but decided to let them do it so as not to violate the warranty.

For the life of me I can not understand why they have done it and what right they had to do it.

I honestly do not know what to say.

Only good to come out of it is that it will force me to stop using PSpice and learn how to use Matlab and Simulink.

For the record I am not clever one bit. I just had to work ridiculously hard to make up for my lack of intelligence compared to others. To have lost everything when there was no need for it has really sickened me.

Your a bit of a Nightmare Walking.....

Joking aside,hope you recover it bud, as you say, why even fire it up?

DiscoSteve said:
another thought - do you still have that external drive that got wet - the drive it self inside the case may be ok, just the controller electronics may be fried - if you can take it apart and extract the drive inside the case you can fit it into another case (cheapo ebay option) and see if it will spring back to life

hard lesson for everyone on Blue Moon here - make sure you back up your stuff to the cloud, an external drive, another laptop whatever - just make sure you have MORE THAN ONE COPY of everything that's important to you (photos, videos being the common biggies) - don't rely on CD or DVD backups either, they degrade and become unreadable over time - if you can afford it cloud is the best option, because all it takes is ca$h to keep it safe :-)

and keep your back up external drive away from the fucking baby having a bath

DiscoSteve said:
another thought - do you still have that external drive that got wet - the drive it self inside the case may be ok, just the controller electronics may be fried - if you can take it apart and extract the drive inside the case you can fit it into another case (cheapo ebay option) and see if it will spring back to life

hard lesson for everyone on Blue Moon here - make sure you back up your stuff to the cloud, an external drive, another laptop whatever - just make sure you have MORE THAN ONE COPY of everything that's important to you (photos, videos being the common biggies) - don't rely on CD or DVD backups either, they degrade and become unreadable over time - if you can afford it cloud is the best option, because all it takes is ca$h to keep it safe :-)

The drive is dead mate. Thanks for your input though. I might write them an email asking for an explanation as I don't want to get on the phone at present as the poor bleeder on the other end will cop an earful, which would be unfair as it will not have been their fault.

Hopefully I may be able to recover some of the PSpice files I wrote. I used to work on them in uni and then email them to myself. A lot of them have gone but at present I am looking for small mercies.

find them.........go to the premises. threaten to sue and ask for the f*ckwhit who worked on your pc.

do it now with a V for vandetta mask............ take a running chainsaw in with you just for good measure.

des hardi said:
find them.........go to the premises. threaten to sue and ask for the f*ckwhit who worked on your pc.

do it now with a V for vandetta mask............ take a running chainsaw in with you just for good measure.

It's probably a good day to do this as people will think you are trick or treating.

Well I have spoke to a customer service operator today and they told me they wiped the laptop due to data protection. She said that I should have been told to clear the laptop, but I was not notified at all about this.

There is no way on earth I would have sent the laptop in for a small superficial fault if I had known what they would do.

She was about to put me through to the complaints department when I told her that I had not been notified about what actions would be taken if I sent the laptop in for a repair. Then she suddenly said that there was nothing they could do, she was really sorry and she could not pass me over to the complaints department.

Now I do not know what to do. I was definitely not notified about what actions the technician would take if I sent it in. I am a bit miffed about their right to wipe my laptop under the data protection act when by rights there was absolutely no need to power up the laptop due to the fault which required rectifying.

Does anyone know how I get through to the complaints department? Also I am never going to get my data back so I am a bit unclear about what complaining will actually achieve. It does feel like I have been stitched up though especially when they areblaming wiping my laptop on the data protection act and they will not allow me to complain.

Nightmare Walking said:
Well I have spoke to a customer service operator today and they told me they wiped the laptop due to data protection. She said that I should have been told to clear the laptop, but I was not notified at all about this.

There is no way on earth I would have sent the laptop in for a small superficial fault if I had known what they would do.

She was about to put me through to the complaints department when I told her that I had not been notified about what actions would be taken if I sent the laptop in for a repair. Then she suddenly said that there was nothing they could do, she was really sorry and she could not pass me over to the complaints department.

Now I do not know what to do. I was definitely not notified about what actions the technician would take if I sent it in. I am a bit miffed about their right to wipe my laptop under the data protection act when by rights there was absolutely no need to power up the laptop due to the fault which required rectifying.

Does anyone know how I get through to the complaints department? Also I am never going to get my data back so I am a bit unclear about what complaining will actually achieve. It does feel like I have been stitched up though especially when they areblaming wiping my laptop on the data protection act and they will not allow me to complain.

The Data Protection Act controls how your personal information is used by organisations, businesses or the government.

Everyone responsible for using data has to follow strict rules called ‘data protection principles’. They must make sure the information is:

used fairly and lawfully
used for limited, specifically stated purposes
used in a way that is adequate, relevant and not excessive
accurate
kept for no longer than is absolutely necessary
handled according to people’s data protection rights
kept safe and secure
not transferred outside the UK without adequate protection

Ask them which bit of the Data Protection Act above forces them to clear your laptop. That is an utter load of bollocks. The DPA only applies to data stored by them, not to data on your laptop.

Prestwich_Blue said:
Nightmare Walking said:

The Data Protection Act controls how your personal information is used by organisations, businesses or the government.

Everyone responsible for using data has to follow strict rules called ‘data protection principles’. They must make sure the information is:

used fairly and lawfully
used for limited, specifically stated purposes
used in a way that is adequate, relevant and not excessive
accurate
kept for no longer than is absolutely necessary
handled according to people’s data protection rights
kept safe and secure
not transferred outside the UK without adequate protection

Ask them which bit of the Data Protection Act above forces them to clear your laptop. That is an utter load of bollocks. The DPA only applies to data stored by them, not to data on your laptop.

Cheers mate. I will ring them again tomorrow as I am still a bit wound up.
Its been a hard lesson to learn and at the end of the day I only have myself to blame for not backing everything up on multiple platforms.

I had a spare hour at uni today so tried to have a play with Matlab. Some good might come out of this as I am going to have to learn to use it properly after avoiding it as much as possible over the years.
I am sure I have a student copy of it at some somewhere, so I will just need to verify it.
I can get a licence file for Multisim so that will cover me for electronics.

Worse things have happened and thankfully I still have time to rectify everything.

I will never buy anything HP again though.

blueish swede said:
Could you not take it to the Uni IT Support and see if they can recover the data?
You'll probably need a clean external HDD so they can make an image of the disk.

I am not going to bother mate. Will use it as a reason to try something new. I need to learn Matlab anyway as I will just get left behind if I don't. It will be like buying a midi controller after years of using technics.

I am just a bit pissed off at HP fobbing me off.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.