US Politics Thread

So called "leader of the Free World" and the best they've got to offer is either an insipid geriatric perv or a criminal narcissist.
This smacks of just-the-same-ism. On the one hand you have a radical, election-denying, conspiracy pushing, populist fascist and on the other a centrist Democrat. You may not like Biden's policies - but for God's Sake, don't equate one with the other.

This smacks of just-the-same-ism. On the one hand you have a radical, election-denying, conspiracy pushing, populist fascist and on the other a centrist Democrat. You may not like Biden's policies - but for God's Sake, don't equate one with the other.
Not at all. Policy-wise I'm fine. It's about them as leaders. I'm surprised anyone would disagree with my descriptions of them. Perhaps this is the issue.

Not at all. Policy-wise I'm fine. It's about them as leaders. I'm surprised anyone would disagree with my descriptions of them. Perhaps this is the issue.
You aren’t “surprised.” Liars annoy me. You’re stirring the pot. The “perv” description of Biden is stupid, unfair and untrue, and you know this. Geriatric I grant you.

You aren’t “surprised.” Liars annoy me. You’re stirring the pot. The “perv” description of Biden is stupid, unfair and untrue, and you know this. Geriatric I grant you.
I don’t know where the ‘perv’ accusation comes into it, especially when making a comparison with Trump.
Trump! For ‘chrissake’ ! I, like a lot of Irish people, would boycott Dunbeg because of his involvement with it.
Biden on the other hand?
Well I didn’t really know what to expect. The geriatric tag is force fed at every opportunity on the likes of Fox and other outlets, but to be as fair as possible to the man….
Yes, there was Paddywhackery.

Yes, there was a couple of minor gaffes. He playfully readdressed the All Black gaffe in Dáil Éireann.

Yes there was the customary Catholic angle, but again tbf, there was a very personal angle to this with the meeting with the priest who gave his son last rites.

Yes there was the schmaltz. The homecoming. Look at me now Mom.
There was also excellent script writing from his team. There was potential banana skins skilfully dealt with. There was more carrot than stick regarding Ulster Unionism.

But here is the thing that surprised me, for a supposed geriatric.
I listened to quite a bit of the coverage and apart from the Black and Tan gaffe at Carlingford, he delivered what always appeared as genuinely heart felt, off prompter, one on one with us.
He quite believably came across as one of us. That’s an achievement for any American. Let alone the President.

I thought his speech to the joint house in Leinster house was excellent if I’m being honest. I was really pleasantly surprised.
Whether he’s the man for America for the next 4 years or not, is a matter for Americans.
But from where I’m seated and I’m guessing a lot of the rest of the world, I’d have him over Trump any day of the week. It’s no contest.

And regarding the content of his speech to government. If I was part of Britain or the UK looking on, I would be listening intently to the economical message he conveyed regarding stability and predictability in society and governance that is required before American companies will invest.
Before they will choose where to invest, as their gateways into the EU market.

Last edited:
Your reaction would suggest that perhaps you are emotionally invested on party lines, so maybe that makes it hard for you to have an open mind. But it's a forum and whilst it's great to hear your perspective, don't tell me what I do or do not know.

My view is that the description of Biden is not stupid, not unfair and not untrue. I have seen footage of him where let's say he gets a bit handsy in and around young females. I won't be the only one to have seen this series of clips. I guess it can't be easy to even consider the possibility that someone holding such a position could be unfit for high office, but as an outsider looking in, neither Biden nor his 2024 replacement are in any way suitable. You ranting will not do anything to change my opinion on that.

So I come back to my original point, which is how can an incredible country like the USA be in a position of having such a paucity of political leadership?

I don’t know where the ‘perv’ accusation comes into it, especially when making a comparison with Trump.
Trump! For ‘chrissake’ ! I like a lot of Irish people would boycott Dunbeg because of his involvement with it.
Biden on the other hand?
Well I didn’t really know what to expect. The geriatric tag is force fed at every opportunity on the likes of Fox and other outlets, but to be as fair as possible to the man….
Yes, there was Paddywhackery.

Yes, there was a couple of minor gaffes. He playfully readdressed the All Black gaffe in Dáil Éireann.

Yes there was the customary Catholic angle, but again tbf, there was a very personal angle to this with the meeting with the priest who gave his son last rites.

Yes there was the schmaltz. The homecoming. Look at me now Mom.
There was also excellent script writing from his team. There was potential banana skins skilfully dealt with. There was more carrot than stick regarding Ulster Unionism.

But here is the thing that surprised me, for a supposed geriatric.
I listened to quite a bit of the coverage and apart from the Black and Tan gaffe at Carlingford, he delivered what always appeared as genuinely heart felt, off prompter, one on one with us.
He quite believably came across as one of us. That’s an achievement for any American. Let alone the President.

I thought his speech to the joint house in Leinster house was excellent if I’m being honest. I was really pleasantly surprised.
Whether he’s the man for America for the next 4 years or not, is a matter for Americans.
But from where I’m seated and I’m guessing a lot of the rest of the world, I’d have him over Trump any day of the week. It’s no contest.

And regarding the content of his speech to government. If I was part of Britain or the UK looking on, I would be listening intently to the economical message he conveyed regarding stability and predictability in society and governance that is required before American companies will invest.
Before they will choose where to invest, as their gateways into the EU market.
He’s old. And that’s all I meant. I have a great deal of respect for all he’s accomplished as an elected representative over his decades of public service (and that IMO is how he views it — public service — which is important) whether I agreed politics-wise or not. As an older person there’s always a physical fragility I’ll worry about counterbalancing the experience and wisdom.

Your reaction would suggest that perhaps you are emotionally invested on party lines, so maybe that makes it hard for you to have an open mind. But it's a forum and whilst it's great to hear your perspective, don't tell me what I do or do not know.

My view is that the description of Biden is not stupid, not unfair and not untrue. I have seen footage of him where let's say he gets a bit handsy in and around young females. I won't be the only one to have seen this series of clips. I guess it can't be easy to even consider the possibility that someone holding such a position could be unfit for high office, but as an outsider looking in, neither Biden nor his 2024 replacement are in any way suitable. You ranting will not do anything to change my opinion on that.

So I come back to my original point, which is how can an incredible country like the USA be in a position of having such a paucity of political leadership?
Yeah see — you don’t “know” anything. You have a “view”. So I’ll tell you exactly what you know — nothing.

But you see fit to use the term “perv” anyhow which you know is a loaded label. Well, gee buddy, shouldn’t that immediately disqualify him from office? Or are you okay with “pervs” for some reason?

Your last question is a good one though.

There is no shortage of decent Democrats. The problem is that fundraising and profile become a self sustaining positive loop. No one comes close to the name recognition of Biden and no one can fund raise like him, so he becomes the automatic choice. Its a product of the system

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.