US Politics Thread

The voters certainly think so, these results showing a massive Dem over performance are much better indicators that polling:

This is most welcome news. And yet, there's a not-insubstantial chance that the next US President is Donald Trump.

I typically look at betting odds to determine where things stand. And it's not looking good at all for democracy at the moment:

According to bettors, Trump is basically a coin-flip from becoming the next US president. This from folks who actually have a lot of money on the line.

Left-leaning media outlets in the US demonstrate their bias mostly in the following ways: less newsworthy stories favorable to the right are generally not covered; headlines may be slanted to favor the left; talk-shows are obviously left-leaning.

Right-leaning media outlets in the US mirror the biases of left-leaning media, except that coverage favors the right: less newsworthy stores favorable to the left are mostly not covered; headlines are slanted to favor the right; talk-shows are obviously right-leaning.

What differentiates left-leaning outlets from right-leaning ones, is that most right-leaning media outlets no longer stick to the facts, and indeed report known-falsehoods in cases where the truth is unpopular with their audience. Right-leaning talkshows are most affected by this; but on the right, broadcasts purported to be strictly news, sometimes (or oftentimes depending on the outlet), also propagate known falsehoods.

For those interested in the perceived biases of various news outlets in the US, Allsides has a breakdown which may prove of interest: https://www.allsides.com/media-bias/media-bias-chart.
I'm happy they are trying. And lots of the organizations they deem Center form the basis of my news anyway. Even though I personally lean conservative. And also enjoy conservative shows that provide a conservative perspective.

Also, I chuckled at the claim that Axios, Yahoo News and N.P.R. were considered 'leans left'. But then again, they claimed this strictly applied to their writing and not their broadcast. So maybe my bias, at least as it relates to NPR is about their broadcasting. But Axios and Yahoo are so clearly left that it's already worrisome that they are considered simply a lean left.

There seems to be a bias in what is deemed lean vs fully left when compared to its Right counterparts.

I don't know how anyone can conclude axios leans left. Granted my NPR experience is from their broadcasting (or more accurately, from the analysis of NPRs consistent bias in reporting that borders on falsehoods that was done by Peter Boghosian and others in the podcast series "NPR - All things Reconsidered."

here's an example

if you want to see bias analyzed clearly watch that series. It's nothing new for those who already lean right... But it's sure be an eye opener for any honest left leaning person more interested in what true or false than winning.

I'm happy they are trying. And lots of the organizations they deem Center form the basis of my news anyway. Even though I personally lean conservative. And also enjoy conservative shows that provide a conservative perspective.

Also, I chuckled at the claim that Axios, Yahoo News and N.P.R. were considered 'leans left'. But then again, they claimed this strictly applied to their writing and not their broadcast. So maybe my bias, at least as it relates to NPR is about their broadcasting. But Axios and Yahoo are so clearly left that it's already worrisome that they are considered simply a lean left.

There seems to be a bias in what is deemed lean vs fully left when compared to its Right counterparts.

I don't know how anyone can conclude axios leans left. Granted my NPR experience is from their broadcasting (or more accurately, from the analysis of NPRs consistent bias in reporting that borders on falsehoods that was done by Peter Boghosian and others in the podcast series "NPR - All things Reconsidered."

here's an example

if you want to see bias analyzed clearly watch that series. It's nothing new for those who already lean right... But it's sure be an eye opener for any honest left leaning person more interested in what true or false than winning.

Almost anyone these days "leaning right" in the USA is frankly in full denial of reality.
For example:
* It's an established scientific fact that climate change is caused by man's over-emission of greenhouse gasses;
* Gun violence in the US is off-scale bad. Clearly it's best to curb the proliferation of guns in the US even if this is a long term solution;
* Vaccines and the wearing of masks are effective mitigation strategies against dangerous pathogens such as COVID. As a nation, the US should support policies designed to curb the spread of dangerous pathogens.
* Aggressive, powerful, foreign governments are at work attempting to undermine Democracy for their own advantage. It's important that the US engage in efforts to curb such actors. For example, support of The Ukraine against Russia's imperialist invasion is extremely critical.

And yet, most of those leaning right, take reality-denying stances on each of these obviously established facts. Not all right-leaning folks, but most.

The Right in the USA is fucking fascist, fact-denying, and dangerous in both foreign and domestic policy. Furthermore, they're so fucked up that they will likely cause the US government to shut down shortly. And if, later on, the US defaults on its debt obligations under Republican leadership, it's going to be fucking catastrophic for everyone in the USA. The only bright side of this is that once the government defaults, the Republicunts are likely to lose a lot of support among voters.

Last edited:
Almost anyone these days "leaning right" in the USA is frankly in full denial of reality.
For example:
I think one of the main problems is that there are too many glib left leaning people who speak confidently about issues they know far less about than their confidence suggests. B

* It's an established scientific fact that climate change is caused by man's over-emission of greenhouse gasses;
The issue is Not whether climate change is caused by human emissions. The issue is whether the proposals of those on the left will mitigate or solve the climate change problem. I won't bore you with the details as you don't seem interested enough. But the conclusions are clear, it's does not look like their proposals will reduce emissions talk less save the planet.

Understanding what's at issue is critical.

* Gun violence in the US is off-scale bad.
This is a conclusion not a fact. Something you've always struggled with :(
Clearly it's best to curb the proliferation of guns in the US even if this is a long term solution;
Why is it best to do so? Lear

* Vaccines and the wearing of masks are an effective mitigation strategy against dangerous pathogens such as COVID. As a nation, the US should support policies designed to curb the spread of dangerous pathogens.

Note that I provided evidence from a Center 'the hill' and 'left leaning' CNN.

Now I'm not saying wearing mask was bad. I wore one for the early part of the pandemic. But as the evidence came in I adjusted. It's clear you didn't.

* Aggressive, powerful, foreign governments are at work attempting to undermine Democracy for their own advantage. It's important that the US engage in efforts to curb such actors. For example, support of The Ukraine against Russia's imperialist invasion is extremely critical.
Russia attacking Ukraine is unfortunate. But how this is a war American taxpayers should be funding is still a mystery to me. And which neighbor invasions should we find and which ones are unimportant? Is Sudan attacking S. Sudan worth our time? How about Sierra Leone on the border of Liberia? Why should Ukraine be of more interest to me than S. Cameroon? No one seems to be able to explain this.

I mean the race baiters on your side are already saying it's probably because the Ukrainians are white and the S. Sudanese are black. So, y'all let us know either way.

And yet, most of those leaning right, take fact-denial stances on each of these facts. Not all right-leaning folks, but most.
You not mentioned one thing that was a fact. Just emotionally charged opinions masquerading as fact

The Right in the USA is fucking fascist, fact-denying, and dangerous in both foreign and domestic policy. Furthermore, they're so fucked up that they will likely cause the US government to shut down shortly. And once the US defaults on its debt obligations, it's going to be fucking catastrophic for everyone in the USA. The only bright side of this is that once the government defaults, the Republicunts are likely to lose a lot of support among voters.
It's clear Center sources are not your go to for information. Lord have mercy. Let it all out son :)

You mean, ‘unfortunate’ like it happened by accident?
It's a horror of human reality. But it's not unique. I have an uncle and cousin who both died last year in S. Cameroon. It's horrible. But I see no reason why Ukraine is more deserving of my taxes than say Sierra Leone, S. Sudan or or Cameroon.

And I'm yet to hear a legitimate argument. I'll be happy to hear one though.

It's a horror of human reality. But it's not unique. I have an uncle and cousin who both died last year in S. Cameroon. It's horrible. But I see no reason why Ukraine is more deserving of my taxes than say Sierra Leone, S. Sudan or or Cameroon.

And I'm yet to hear a legitimate argument. I'll be happy to hear one though.
Not answering the question.

Not answering the question.
Of course I did. You just didn't like the answer. Let me make it longer and clearer. No, I don't mean unfortunate as in ' it happened by accident.'

I mean unfortunate as in it's bad for those it has happened to. I think you could have inferred that from reading the whole paragraph.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.