US Politics Thread

The only way out to save America as I see it is for enough moderate GOP members to start deal negotiations with Dems
The MAGA mob are eating the party of Abe Lincoln and John McCain from within
Tragic
GOPers dealing with dems is a death sentence. It's the definition of RINO.

If we didn't have the Israel situation I'd say a shutdown is nailed on. But there is a big Jewish vote in the US and there are plenty of Jewish GOPers who I think will ensure something happens. Maybe that means enough of them just take a week off and let the Dems fix it.

Ok I concede. The world is flat.

This spurious discussion on the Earth’s dynamics doesn’t matter. All that matters is MTG knows exactly what she’s pandering to with her comments. It’s as subtle as a brick to the face. It’s a line used by nut job flat earth anti-NASA conspiracy theorists on a daily basis to try and make scientific consensus look less credible by throwing out numbers that seem intuitively wrong but are based on misconceptions.

Anybody who has had the misfortune of engaging with their sophistry for any length of time knows this is their playbook.

To suggest otherwise is like saying those mental Jewish space laser comments have nothing to do with antisemitic dog whistling.

This spurious discussion on the Earth’s dynamics doesn’t matter. All that matters is MTG knows exactly what she’s pandering to with her comments. It’s as subtle as a brick to the face. It’s a line used by nut job flat earth anti-NASA conspiracy theorists on a daily basis to try and make scientific consensus look less credible by throwing out numbers that seem intuitively wrong but are based on misconceptions.

Anybody who has had the misfortune of engaging with their sophistry for any length of time knows this is their playbook.

To suggest otherwise is like saying those mental Jewish space laser comments have nothing to do with antisemitic dog whistling.
Yes, but I suspect Vic is just taking the piss ;-)

So it's OK to link MTG to flat earth theorists just because she believes other mad theories?

I can't believe I'm defending the woman, but if you're stood on the equator you are on a globe spinning at roughly 1,000 mph (and travelling even faster around the sun) and you don't notice. Whether you draw the conclusion she did is another matter.

If that's taking the piss out of scientists, so be it.

So it's OK to link MTG to flat earth theorists just because she believes other mad theories?

I can't believe I'm defending the woman, but if you're stood on the equator you are on a globe spinning at roughly 1,000 mph (and travelling even faster around the sun) and you don't notice. Whether you draw the conclusion she did is another matter.

Vic, the flat earth comment was something I threw in. Mea Culpa. My fault.
Mainly because I haven’t a clue what point you are making.

The original poster posted what he did as she mentioned the earth spinning and us not noticing as proof of God.

I think the God references are there as appealing to whatever audience or whatever.
That and her im not really all that bothered about.
I don believe you, me or anyone here is denying the physics, I just haven’t a clue what point you are making.

Vic, the flat earth comment was something I threw in. Mea Culpa. My fault.
Mainly because I haven’t a clue what point you are making.

The original poster posted what he did as she mentioned the earth spinning and us not noticing as proof of God.

I think the God references are there as appealing to whatever audience or whatever.
That and her im not really all that bothered about.
I don believe you, me or anyone here is denying the physics, I just haven’t a clue what point you are making.
I didn't know what point the original post was making (by sharing the MTG tweet).

Look you might be right. Maybe she just said it because she thinks it’s interesting. And if she had no track record of furthering bonkers claims then I might take it at face value as somebody simply stating a thing.

My assessment is admittedly entirely based on two things. One, her track record. Two, the (technically incorrect) specific language she used bearing an uncanny similarity to flat earth proponents who use arguments like this to prove god/the bible and flat earth (religious fundamentalists and flat earth circles have heavy overlap).

Maybe that similarity is coincidence. I am simply making an assumption that it’s not a coincidence and she is saying this for a reason. I don’t think that is a particularly difficult leap of logic and I certainly don’t owe her the benefit of a doubt here.

Look you might be right. Maybe she just said it because she thinks it’s interesting. And if she had no track record of furthering bonkers claims then I might take it at face value as somebody simply stating a thing.

My assessment is admittedly entirely based on two things. One, her track record. Two, the (technically incorrect) specific language she used bearing an uncanny similarity to flat earth proponents who use arguments like this to prove god/the bible and flat earth (religious fundamentalists and flat earth circles have heavy overlap).

Maybe that similarity is coincidence. I am simply making an assumption that it’s not a coincidence and she is saying this for a reason. I don’t think that is a particularly difficult leap of logic and I certainly don’t owe her the benefit of a doubt here.
If you’ve been unfortunate enough to see or hear anything that’s come out of the dumb Fucks mouth over the last few years then you would rightly take the stance you have.
Anyone believing anything else must be coming across her for the very first time.

For the record, here's MTG on Flat Earth - but I suggest we don't derail the thread by discussing what she compares it with!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.