US Politics Thread

True, it is a mess, but it's arguably better than "let's fuck our economy over forever based on a 15-word referendum because we're afraid of brown people".

Trump and Biden are both gonna die some day. How old will Mr. Brexit be when he croaks?

And your elected-official choices aren't such great shakes either, FYI. But thankfully you haven't out-Trumped Trump yet. Here's hoping you don't, it sucks.

Absolutely we shot ourselves in the head while aiming for our foot.

The states look like they are going to rip themselves in half. I don’t trust politicians but Trump I really despise with a passion.

Last edited:
Republicans don’t get anything done anyway. They stopped governing a while back. The House threshold for a majority is 218 votes and the Republicans are only a vote or two above that currently, with some races scheduled this year.

Given the closeness of the House, it seemed an odd ruling to make. The House passing a vote either on the back of a conviction or subject to a conviction in court would have perhaps made more sense.

It has been pointed out that the Supreme Court didn’t rule Colorado was wrong to state that Trump took part in an insurrection. Just that removal from the ballot was not their decision to make.

Indeed they did not weigh in on the settled facts which was the conclusion that Trump committed an insurrection. On the contrary, the Democratic justices went to pains to call Trump an “oath-breaker and insurrectionist”, I think, on six separate occasions. Trump could only really appeal on the basis of process or lack thereof, not on the “settled legal facts of the case”.

But yes the 14(3) stuff is basically now lumped on the Congressional pile along with everything else they’re completely unable to pass because of the House GOPs flimsiness. They definitely had that in mind when stipulating that process. I doubt they’d have reached such a verdict on a question they weren’t asked if Dems controlled the House and Senate.

Indeed they did not weigh in on the settled facts which was the conclusion that Trump committed an insurrection. On the contrary, the Democratic justices went to pains to call Trump an “oath-breaker and insurrectionist”, I think, on six separate occasions. Trump could only really appeal on the basis of process or lack thereof, not on the “settled legal facts of the case”.

But yes the 14(3) stuff is basically now lumped on the Congressional pile along with everything else they’re completely unable to pass because of the House GOPs flimsiness. They definitely had that in mind when stipulating that process. I doubt they’d have reached such a verdict on a question they weren’t asked if Dems controlled the House and Senate.

I think that's very likely, and that it was as far as they could go without losing another vote. Barrett already had decided it was too far.

What it does is mean that the state courts can't act quickly following a conviction, but have to wait for it to drag through Congress first. Even if one party controlled both houses, it adds another step to it.

On a somewhat different note… it is Super Tuesday today. We probably find out if the last remnants of challenge to Trump from within the GOP will dissipate or if his polling issues persist.

Republican primaries:
  • Alabama
  • Arkansas
  • California
  • Colorado
  • Maine
  • Massachusetts
  • Minnesota
  • North Carolina
  • Oklahoma
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Vermont
  • Virginia
Caucuses:
  • Alaska
  • Utah
Trump is polling at an average of 77% across all states. Haley at 15%. Trump’s margin should be at least 60pp if the polling is accurate.

The loss of some GDP and no longer able to provide decent universal health care as a consequence.

All votes have consequences, and ours will be long lasting.

On the bright side, we did get higher immigration levels as a consequence of Brexit and that never fails to amuse me.

Interesting, doesn't relate to the reason I replied to our American friend(who I like) though.

There is a thread somewhere to discuss brexit i think. You should know that:-)

Last edited:
On a somewhat different note… it is Super Tuesday today. We probably find out if the last remnants of challenge to Trump from within the GOP will dissipate or if his polling issues persist.

Republican primaries:
  • Alabama
  • Arkansas
  • California
  • Colorado
  • Maine
  • Massachusetts
  • Minnesota
  • North Carolina
  • Oklahoma
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Vermont
  • Virginia
Caucuses:
  • Alaska
  • Utah
Trump is polling at an average of 77% across all states. Haley at 15%. Trump’s margin should be at least 60pp if the polling is accurate.
Not sure what we are going to learn to be honest. Obviously the numbers that don't vote for Trump is one thing and the exit poll data on if they would as a candidate. But then a lot of this is mail in now so asking people leaving an event is skewed to those that don't use mail.

Looking at the list Colorado and Maine will be interesting. Maybe.

Not sure what we are going to learn to be honest. Obviously the numbers that don't vote for Trump is one thing and the exit poll data on if they would as a candidate. But then a lot of this is mail in now so asking people leaving an event is skewed to those that don't use mail.

Looking at the list Colorado and Maine will be interesting. Maybe.

Virginia is slated as essentially Haley’s only realistic chance of taking a state. That along with her DC win (first woman ever to win a Republican primary would you believe) may give her enough of a justification to run third party if she chose but I don’t think she’d do that.

At this point it’s just a matter of what attritional damage can be applied to Trump to rock the boat. Other than that, today changes very little.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.