US Politics Thread

But rather than combatting the factual reality associated with these things and proposing policy to put forward their own view of how they would make things better, they instead just build them all into some homogeneous group of absurd and unrealistic caricatures. They don’t need policies, they just need to create scary enough enemies to get you to vote for them.
It's a common phenomenon,isn't it?

For example, if there is a street with some security problems, robbery, theft and violence, you need to put some cameras on the street. It's so simple, you got a problem, you address the problem, you do what you need to do.

But nowadays, there is another narrative about it. Your privacy, human right, freedom of whatever, blah blah. I think people have gone too far about it. Not only the right-leaning, but also the left.

I know that many (most?) of you discount polls as predictors of election outcomes, and I've heard your various arguments against trusting polls.

Nonetheless, this is fucking scary (odds of winning the presidency according to bettors - Trump 53%; Biden, 39%).

At the same time, going state-by-state, should odds hold precisely, the same website shows that Biden would narrowly win reelection - but this supposes that Biden wins a bunch of swing states that are extremely close - the odds that he'll carry all such swing states is low, supposing that the odds cited are accurate (they likely are not exactly accurate and yes I'm aware of the numerous objections as to the accuracy of election outcome polling).

We're months away from election day, and Biden is facing blowback from the Israeli-Palestinian crisis that will likely (hopefully) resolve prior to election day. At the same time, Jesus fucking Christ - how is it possible that so many Americans support Trump?...

To answer my own question - I think that a huge part of the support for Trump is due to the echo chamber of lies and misinformation propagated by numerous right-leaning outlets which gladly serve up mistruths because that is what their audience wants to hear and moreover, aligns with the viewpoints of their ownership.
Fox News is the most watched network in US.

It has less than 2m viewers. Cable news audience has steadily declined overall and Fox was down 20% in 2023 and is currently down again this year.

Mainstream news is around 18m across three channels.
If Fox is the most watched with 2m, how have the other 3 got 18m across them?

If Fox is the most watched with 2m, how have the other 3 got 18m across them?
Various Google results all show similar ratings results for US News carriers as reported here:

and here:

I know that many (most?) of you discount polls as predictors of election outcomes, and I've heard your various arguments against trusting polls.

Nonetheless, this is fucking scary (odds of winning the presidency according to bettors - Trump 53%; Biden, 39%).

At the same time, going state-by-state, should odds hold precisely, the same website shows that Biden would narrowly win reelection - but this supposes that Biden wins a bunch of swing states that are extremely close - the odds that he'll carry all such swing states is low, supposing that the odds cited are accurate (they likely are not exactly accurate and yes I'm aware of the numerous objections as to the accuracy of election outcome polling).

We're months away from election day, and Biden is facing blowback from the Israeli-Palestinian crisis that will likely (hopefully) resolve prior to election day. At the same time, Jesus fucking Christ - how is it possible that so many Americans support Trump?...

To answer my own question - I think that a huge part of the support for Trump is due to the echo chamber of lies and misinformation propagated by numerous right-leaning outlets which gladly serve up mistruths because that is what their audience wants to hear and moreover, aligns with the viewpoints of their ownership.
1. The betting odds on City being relegated next year have gone from 2,500-1 to 25-1. I wonder how many posters here have bet on City being relegated. Must be a lot. After all, we are all closer to the facts of the case than fans of other clubs. That's the only explanation.

2. You realiz(s)e who owns the site you linked to, right?

3. The reason so many people support Trump is that he's a Republican and the vast majority of party-aligned folks vote their party no matter who the specific candidates are.

Last edited:
1. The betting odds on City being relegated next year have gone from 2,500-1 to 25-1. I wonder how many posters here have bet on City being relegated. Must be a lot. After all, we are all closer to the facts of the case than fans of other clubs. That's the only explanation.

2. You realiz(s)e who owns the site you linked to, right?

3. The reason so many people support Trump is that he's a Republican and the vast majority of party-aligned folks vote their party no matter who the specific candidates are.
Real blue sky thinkers eh Foggy? :-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.