US Politics Thread

Several recent posts lament that Biden is the Democratic nominee for President. How terrible he is! - but better than the alternative.

Really?

Biden is actually doing a tremendous job! He bailed the US out of the COVID-crisis mess Trump created. The US economy now leads the world.

Biden got us out of Afghanistan - a bit messy. But it was the right thing to do.

Biden's foreign policy agenda has been derailed by two events which he had no control over. Biden wanted to focus on pushing back against China, but this was derailed by Putin's invasion of Ukraine and the Hamas attack against Israel and the resultant wars. Biden has done the best he could, IMO, given the hand he's been dealt. Biden's ability to act unilaterally on foreign policy is curbed by several factors: the power of Congress and control of the House by Republicans; the need to stand up for a long-time ally in Israel; Netanyahu's far Right agenda; and so on.

In terms of political candidates running against Trump for the Presidency - I think that BIden has the best chance to win. Biden is centrist and thus is at least palatable to the swing voter. There's no way that a Bernie Sanders or Elizabeth Warren would win against Trump. The election is down to a few voters in a few states who are undecided; very progressive Left policies, however much you (or I) like them, would likely turn such voters off.

I do, however, wish that Biden were younger - I concede that if re-elected, he may die in office. And even if re-elected and he survives his term... I don't like Harris, as a political figure, at all. IMO Harris is going to be problematic for Democrats in 2028, at least temporarily... but I doubt she'll win the nomination for Democratic candidate for president.

I very much wish that Biden were more charismatic - he lacks the charm of numerous other Democrats and in such a close race for President in 2024, every little advantage counts.

But in terms of policy and governance, I very, very much like Biden. Yes Israel is engaged in genocide... but Biden is pushing back as best he can. Cutting off all support for Israel is a non-starter; such action would poison our relationship with Israel and end whatever influence we have over them; moreover, it would all but guarantee a Trump victory. Better to remain allies with Israel and attempt to influence their actions than to cut ties and have no say at all.

Last edited:
Not been following this recently but are the mad yanks seriously looking at putting the thieving, racist, misogynistic, treasonous , daughter shagging, bigoted fuckwit back in charge?
God bless America.

Not been following this recently but are the mad yanks seriously looking at putting the thieving, racist, misogynistic, treasonous , daughter shagging, bigoted fuckwit back in charge?
God bless America.
Yup. Far Right leaning candidates - the world over - are, unfortunately, very popular right now. It's not just the USA.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.