US Politics Thread

I’m just going to play Devil’s advocate here. The BLM protests were also criminal in many places, in many cities, far more widespread and less concentrated in one space, also lasting much longer.

It’s not a surprise more were arrested and the FBI are now identifying every twunt in the Capitol over the last week and arresting them (or trying to).

Of course those this week trying to stage a fucking coup are the worst of the lot, that have been out causing issues this year, but the BLM protestors that also killed innocent people, aren’t angels either.
There’s a 193 page thread all about it. We don’t really need to discuss it on here and look for equivalence.

Can see your point . Giving you a hypothetical scenario, Twitter or social media existed when Hitler and his cohorts were around, would allowing them access be acceptable?

I don’t think whether they have access or not is the issue really, it’s who gets to decide it.

I get the argument that Facebook and Twitter are private companies with codes of conducts that mean they can choose to uphold that whenever they want to. That’s the worrying part of it though - the whenever they want to. Banning Trump I don’t particularly have an issue with, he clearly was breaching the CoC. None of the social media companies are good enough at being able to police their content to make that a consistent approach though.

People have banged on about the dangers of how much control Murdoch has had over the years. That pales into insignificance compared to what Dorsey and Zuckerberg have now though in terms users consuming content they ultimately have control over. Their size and omnipresence does need to be considered in this.

It is a tricky one, and always has been with the internet and social media in general, and deserving of a separate debate than to just about Trump.

I’m just going to play Devil’s advocate here. The BLM protests were also criminal in many places, in many cities, far more widespread and less concentrated in one space, also lasting much longer.

It’s not a surprise more we’re arrested and the FBI are now identifying every twunt in the Capitol over the last week and arresting them (or trying to).

Of course those this week trying to stage a fucking coup are the worst of the lot, that have been out causing issues this year, but the BLM protestors that also killed innocent people, aren’t angels either.
I would argue that the lot of the BLM arrests were caused by a difference in policing. People are pointing out that difference as if the Capitol building invaders should have been treated the same as the BLM protesters, but it's actually the opposite. The BLM protesters should have been treated the same as these extremists. The way to avoid a riot is to basically let dickheads be dickheads to some extent and then arrest them later on after you've collected intelligence (up to a point, obviously). But with the BLM protesters, we repeatedly saw the police actually inciting the violence in the first place and then arresting people when they took the bait. Not all police of course. There were some places where they stood by and watched property destruction and no doubt arrested the offenders later on, which is probably the safest way to do it.

If it turns out there were insiders deliberately allowing it to happen, then those people should be punished. And certainly the people who failed to recognise the threat and prepare enough security should also be punished. But in the situation they were in, I don't have a lot of criticism for the police on the ground that day.

I would argue that the lot of the BLM arrests were caused by a difference in policing. People are pointing out that difference as if the Capitol building invaders should have been treated the same as the BLM protesters, but it's actually the opposite. The BLM protesters should have been treated the same as these extremists. The way to avoid a riot is to basically let dickheads be dickheads to some extent and then arrest them later on after you've collected intelligence (up to a point, obviously). But with the BLM protesters, we repeatedly saw the police actually inciting the violence in the first place and then arresting people when they took the bait. Not all police of course. There were some places where they stood by and watched property destruction and no doubt arrested the offenders later on, which is probably the safest way to do it.

If it turns out there were insiders deliberately allowing it to happen, then those people should be punished. And certainly the people who failed to recognise the threat and prepare enough security should also be punished. But in the situation they were in, I don't have a lot of criticism for the police on the ground that day.
Look, the facts are that the coup was significantly worse than anything we’ve seen so far in the last 12 months, so don’t think I am airing a defence of those fascist cunts.

That said, people died at the hands of BLM protests, public property was torched and destroyed and it happened in states where the problem is far less significant.

In many areas the response was unjustified, an example being the black, retired cop, who owned a corner shop, that tried to stop rioters ruining his business and the cunts murdered him.

The disgraceful acts this week happened in one city with one large group and therefore it’s harder to make immediate arrests. This thread is littered with examples of the FBI seeking and searching for those guilty. In fact there’s an offer of reward for finding people. It also happened over what 2/3 days, rather than weeks.

To insinuate there’s a country-wide bias in the law is wrong imo.

I don’t think there’s any bias in the law at all, there is in some in those who are there to uphold it though. Agree it’s for a different thread though.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.