US Politics Thread

I quite like this clip. Apart from showing how much the Republican party has changed, I can't imagine we'll see this sort of genuine exchange in politics again.

Which is a shame. It's all answering questions with another question, vitriol and dishonesty nowadays, and has been for some time.

Those aren’t Republicans.

Those are the “Washington elite.”

For as much time as many of you spend on this thread, you really don’t understand how MAGA works, do you? :)

Those aren’t Republicans.

Those are the “Washington elite.”

For as much time as many of you spend on this thread, you really don’t understand how MAGA works, do you? :)
While the second part of my post was directed at all parties, I can't imagine these two would have lasted too long in today's GOP.

My hope, Trump gets beat. Republicans return to their old values and anyone that doesn't like it fucks off to some minority party.

As for understanding MAGA, not sure I ever want to understand wtf is going on there.

I quite like this clip. Apart from showing how much the Republican party has changed, I can't imagine we'll see this sort of genuine exchange in politics again.

Which is a shame. It's all answering questions with another question, vitriol and dishonesty nowadays, and has been for some time.

life-of-brian-splitter.gif

Amazing now to think that they were considered right wing or at least very conservative politicians.

While the second part of my post was directed at all parties, I can't imagine these two would have lasted too long in today's GOP.

My hope, Trump gets beat. Republicans return to their old values and anyone that doesn't like it fucks off to some minority party.

As for understanding MAGA, not sure I ever want to understand wtf is going on there.
Made aware of their economic shortcomings via social media, envy grows of others shown to have succeeded (especially the young); bored due to retirement or too much time on their hands which gives them more time go down social media rabbit holes; made to feel morally inferior by "woke" acceptance of difference across the ethno-gender-urban/rural divide and resenting the "leg up" "the others" have gotten -- and fed hourly doses of "who's to blame" by the unscrupulous looking to sell them things, whether a t-shirt or a promise of a better life.

None of this seems complicated to me. The rich/urban/agnostic have been making fun of the poor/rural/religious bumpkin set since cities were invented -- that's not new, it's not American, and it's no harbinger of an "empire in decline". But social media brings all of those differences in huge amounts at lightning speed, and its easy to arrange a galvaniz(s)ed response -- especially when unedited (a point I've made many, many times) -- with radical and inhuman solutions. Add to that the natural anchoring and cognitive dissonance so inherent in all humans when clinging to what you think is the last bit of flotsam in your belief sea and . . . . you have MAGA.

The GOP can't return to its old values for a little while. First you need to root out the MAGA sell-outs, which is going to take a long while. Democrats will co-opt any potentially middle-ground, popular parts an agenda the GOP might hint at, and rightly so. So I could see a non-permanent party split which will leave much of the US blue for long while, maybe. But Harris has to win first. Trump kicking the bucket would help expedite healing.

Endless load of noise this. The 4 year cycle means they really only have 3 to try and get anything done before it starts again. I know we have max 5 over here and a couple in between in recent times, but we call one and have 6 weeks of this campaigning stuff. It is endless there

America's election is the answer to the question "who do you like better" rather than "what is the policy".
It provides the "emotional value" which can also be noise if you don't care about the emotional value.
Kamala may know nothing about how to rule America, but it doesn't matter, it's the "blinken, yellen and sullivan"s who run the country.
And that's the same with Trump.
Don't worry. Elon Musk may become your next president...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.