US Politics Thread

It's very conceivable - and has actually happened. Why? Because each side in an election will inevitably seek maximum perceived legal (or at times illegal) advantage subject to legal/ethical/moral/integrity constraints. Musk and Trump are unconstrained, except, perhaps, for the obviously illegal.

That you think what's happened is inconceivable, indicates that you fundamentally misunderstand Musk/Trump. In fact, it's quite the opposite - it's all too believable that Musk is engaging in borderline election interference - the only unbelievable aspect of this is that Musk didn't start sooner.
What I find inconceivable is that your laws would openly allow such a thing. All laws have loopholes but to be able to let everybody know that you want to buy their votes, that’s where my issue would be.

Trump and his backers have gone there, I have no illusions that they would go there and push the boat, but is there anything that can be done to stop such a thing?

What I find inconceivable is that your laws would openly allow such a thing. All laws have loopholes but to be able to let everybody know that you want to buy their votes, that’s where my issue would be.

Trump and his backers have gone there, I have no illusions that they would go there and push the boat, but is there anything that can be done to stop such a thing?
No system of law is perfect. Similar loopholes surely exist in British Law.

>> is there anything that can be done to stop such a thing?
If what Musk is doing is legal, then new laws need to be passed to outlaw such activities. If what Musk is doing is illegal, suits against Musk to stop his actions might prevail.

Last edited:
No system of law is perfect. Similar loopholes surely exist in British Law.

>> is there anything that can be done to stop such a thing?
If what Musk is doing is legal, then new laws need to be passed to outlaw such activities. If what Musk is doing is illegal, suits against Musk to stop his actions might prevail.
In British elections at every level candidates have a maximum allowable spend. They must submit their accounts to a speclfied body. Any American would be astonished at how small those allowances are.
In UK general elections the party allowance is £54,000 per seat contested, about 70,000 USD.

Last edited:
What does Musk want?
To be able to develop his products without risk of litigation if they start killing people.

In other words he wants to get regulations revoked that protect us all so he can make himself even richer.

It’s a lot cheaper to develop products that don’t have to meet stringent safety standards. What it appears he hasn’t considered is that people won’t buy his shite if it’s demonstrably unsafe even if it’s cheap.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.