US Politics Thread

What in the Constitution has “broken down”? And be specific. Institutions exist separately from the Constitution.

I’m also not sure why you’re arguing either, other than you made a flippant comment, I told you the facts, and now you want to defend the silliness of what you originally said.

The constitution was written at a time when there wasn't a two party system?

And so, for example, the process of senate approval of a president's choice for the supreme court could provide, in certain circumstances, neither a check nor balance, being either a rubber stamp in favour or a rubber stamp against. Depending on timing of senate control you could have a situation of having a SC filled with appointees on political party grounds, rather than competence, which would then enact radical legal views or disregard previous precedent.

Of course, everyone hopes that would never happen because the constitution and the various institutions are so robust.

Is this an expat community you are talking about or an immigrant community? We have both in large numbers where I live and opinions, at least those expressed, differ enormously for obvious reasons.

Less interestingly, it's "toeing the line". In my opinion.
I went with toeing at first then changed it to towing then wonder about googling it but then couldn’t be arsed.

I’d say immigrant, there’s zero desire from Borneo’s Chinese community to return from those I’ve spoken with. They’re proudly Chinese but rather embarrassed about their government.

I went with toeing at first then changed it to towing then wonder about googling it but then couldn’t be arsed.

I’d say immigrant, there’s zero desire from Borneo’s Chinese community to return from those I’ve spoken with. They’re proudly Chinese but rather embarrassed about their government.

That's probably fair comment. Of course it's easier to be critical of an autocratic regime when you have no intention of going back.

And don't get me wrong, there is a lot wrong with what happens in China, but in my opinion there is a lot wrong with what happens everywhere.

The constitution was written at a time when there wasn't a two party system?

And so, for example, the process of senate approval of a president's choice for the supreme court could provide, in certain circumstances, neither a check nor balance, being either a rubber stamp in favour or a rubber stamp against. Depending on timing of senate control you could have a situation of having a SC filled with appointees on political party grounds, rather than competence, which would then enact radical legal views or disregard previous precedent.

Of course, everyone hopes that would never happen because the constitution and the various institutions are so robust.
The SC has been through a number of iterations in which it leaned heavily strict interpretationist or judicial activist. It’s nothing new, albeit the qualifications of certain justices or their moral character (or even lawbreaking) might be at issue more so now.

Also, judges change their stripes between the two. Others pose as one and act another way (also at issue here).

No Constitution prevents bad actors in any country, and right now, we have a bundle IMO.

The SC has been through a number of iterations in which it leaned heavily strict interpretationist or judicial activist. It’s nothing new, albeit the qualifications of certain justices or their moral character (or even lawbreaking) might be at issue more so now.

Also, judges change their stripes between the two. Others pose as one and act another way (also at issue here).

No Constitution prevents bad actors in any country, and right now, we have a bundle IMO.

Your faith in the system is commendable.

What in the Constitution has “broken down”? And be specific. Institutions exist separately from the Constitution.

I’m also not sure why you’re arguing either, other than you made a flippant comment, I told you the facts, and now you want to defend the silliness of what you originally said.
The one part of the constitution that has broken down is the judicial system. SCOTUS is supposed to be the great backstop which ultimately protects citizens from executive malfeasance by supporting the constitution. Under Trump SCOTUS became an arm of the executive doing his bidding. Thus the president now has immunity from his criminal action. Similarly A14 has been ignored with the ruling that states cannot bar an insurrectionist from standing for office.
SCOTUS is currently claiming that Congress cannot pass regulations governing it.
Other areas of the judiciary have been similarly corrupted with the appointment of dodgy judges who happily ignore constitutional precedent, such as Judge Cannon.
Thus the separation of powers has been truly weakened and, if Harris wins the election, she must take urgent action to right the situation.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.