USA, Mexico, Canada win 2026 World Cup hosting rights

I think they'll have all of the matches in NFL stadiums but it would be cooler if they had them in some college football towns. I know it's not Brazil 1950 but over 100,000 people attending matches in Ann Arbor, MI or State College, PA would be pretty epic.

The competition was Morocco against North America FFS. And people are acting like they expected a different outcome?
I'm in Morocco, and even everyone here knew that they weren't going to win. There was even apparently a minister who justified it by saying that bidding for the World Cup was far cheaper than paying for tourism advertising all around the world.

I'm in Morocco, and even everyone here knew that they weren't going to win. There was even apparently a minister who justified it by saying that bidding for the World Cup was far cheaper than paying for tourism advertising all around the world.
Cheers. You might have fared better in a different year. This one was nailed on after the Qatar nonsense.

Do all three countries get automatic entry?

I think so, which is completely wrong. The US get in every time due to their being nowt else around from their neck of the woods. Canada? The women's team could beat the men's version. Mexico will now have hosted it 3 times. And all to do with cash.

It originally went to the States to sell the game and it did just that. It's on the up. So this time it should have gone to Morocco and then, like our illustrious owner, FIFA should have helped the country with it's plans. Financed a few stadia, put up the cash for some hotels etc etc instead of seeing what they could get out of it in monetary terms.

It really is all about cash. Cold hard cash.

I think so, which is completely wrong. The US get in every time due to their being nowt else around from their neck of the woods. Canada? The women's team could beat the men's version. Mexico will now have hosted it 3 times. And all to do with cash.

It originally went to the States to sell the game and it did just that. It's on the up. So this time it should have gone to Morocco and then, like our illustrious owner, FIFA should have helped the country with it's plans. Financed a few stadia, put up the cash for some hotels etc etc instead of seeing what they could get out of it in monetary terms.

It really is all about cash. Cold hard cash.

Canada are the only host country who probably wouldn't have qualified normally. So giving one place away in an expanded tournament (48 teams) isn't really a big deal...

Not sure your point about cash is fair — that's the case for Qatar 2022 no doubt. But giving it to an entire continent (with strong existing infrastructure) where football is on the rapid rise makes a lot of sense. Two World Cups in the Middle East/North Africa in a row would be a bit odd. Good to spread it around geographically

a 2030 UK and ireland one would be good, something like:

England (12): London (Wembley + Emirates), Manchester (Etihad), Stretford (Old Trafford), Liverpool (Anfield), Newcastle (St. James), Birmingham (Villa), Nottingham (Forest), Sheffield (Hillsborough), South Coast (Brighton or Soton), Leeds, Bristol or MK.
Scotland (2): Edinburgh (Murrayfield) & Glasgow (Celtic Park)
Wales (1): Cardiff (Millenium)
Ireland(1): Dublin (Aviva)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.