Used family car advice needed - £10k budget

If you lease you also after 2 or 3 years have the option to exchange for a new one or buy it at discounted price. As you not driven for so long it really important to think about having a few refresher lessons to get you back on track again
Yeah, definitely going to book a few refresher lessons just to get the confidence back.

Get a Dacia if you want a new car in budget.
I have the Duster on my shortlist. Anyone have any experience with it? Or opinions on it? I don’t see that many of them out and about, which is surprising considering how cheap they are.

I’ll be honest, I know the square root of fuck all about cars, so thought I’d tap into bluemoon’s collective knowledge for some help.

I haven’t driven for about 7 years, but with a little one on the way I now need to get back on the road. So looking for a practical family car, need decent boot space, ISOFIX points, needs to be safe. Comfort and drive quality would be nice little bonuses but I know I need to compromise somewhere and they are not as important to me as space and practicality.

Also, I know that I want petrol not diesel, I want used (maybe 2-3 years old?) not new, and I also want an automatic. Not for everyone I know, but with it being so long since I last drove a car, having one less thing to think about when I’ve got a kid on board would be ideal. And we spend half our time stuck in traffic anyway, so I like the idea of no clutch!

Regarding budget, I could probably stretch to £11k or even £12k for the perfect car for my needs, but if it’s doable for less, that’s great.

Does anyone have any recommendations? There’s just hundreds of options I don’t know where to begin!

Cheers
Toyota RAV4 go forever

The Dusters are ok. Fairly basic, but will do the job. They are last generation Renault running gear. Meaning the bits are tried and tested, but the safety features are also last generation.

As for reliability of different makes of car, then ignore any advice given here or on the internet. Premium brand car manufacturers have been living on past glories for a while now. They are all about the same, just that the cheaper brands are cheaper to source parts. Speak to any mechanic or garage and they will say the same. They all have their own weaknesses/quirks. Having said that they all seem to agree to give Vauxhalls a swerve.
Range Rover are just about the worse from my experience. Most of my customers have at least one in their garage(s) and they are forever going in for niggles.
I've been through most brands and i'm currently running VW/Renault and Citroen. The Renault(van) and Citroen have run for the last three years with zero problems. Just service/MOT and tyres. The VW Touran although a great family car (7 seats/DVD screens), has been nothing but trouble. It's not the first VW i've had and they have all been a pain to own. But ask around and people will probably tell you the opposite etc.

Honestly, consider leasing. I bought the Touran for cash thinking it would save me £250 per month in lease costs. It probably has still been cheaper overall than my previous leases, but i have lost total peace of mind. It has also been hard to budget for the (large) random bills. So it will shortly be going and replaced with a new lease!

I have the Duster on my shortlist. Anyone have any experience with it? Or opinions on it? I don’t see that many of them out and about, which is surprising considering how cheap they are.
on my 2nd duster well built drives well highly recommend

Seem to be highly regarded. If some of the other manufacturers don’t watch out when it comes to the budget end of the market they will clean up.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.