Var debate 2019/20

No it isn't. The rule is, and I've underlined the bits you need to put into a sentence to cut through all the irrelevant (in this instance) crap:

HANDLING THE BALL

It is an offence if a player:
  • deliberately touches the ball with their hand/arm, including moving the hand/arm towards the ball
  • gains possession/control of the ball after it has touched their hand/arm and then:
    • scores in the opponents’ goal
    • creates a goal-scoring opportunity
  • scores in the opponents’ goal directly from their hand/arm, even if accidental, including by the goalkeeper
It says specifically "player". If you can show me anywhere it says team in here I'll concede the point, otherwise

The team does not handle the ball . It would make no sense to put in the law the word team . look at IFAB and the laws of the game and see how many times the word TEAM is used opposed to the word player .

A player gains possession for the team . A player gains control of the ball for themselves . i'm 100% sure you understand but you appear to be attempting to over complicate what is a simple rule .

Another question. If the knew that VAR was being introduced why did they feel the need to change the rules regarding handball?

If VAR had been in operation last season then Boly's goal would have been disallowed as well as Aguero's third against Arsenal so why the need to change the laws.

I don't know, but it's FIFA rules that have changed, not just ours so there must have been enough call.
I think the reason was to eliminate the concept for intent/deliberate action when judging ball striking a trailing arm. The logic in doing so seems better than the way it's been done.

Two posters perhaps a few more have mentioned pitch invasions, I'm with Karen and very suspicious why you have joined now. maybe legit or maybe like VAR you have other reasons.

It's far more than two posters (other threads) and some have accepted that violence whilst not totally okay is understandable ! People take their children to games . It's completely the message and because of a decision or two that's gone against .

I'm not putting everyone in the same bracket - far from it - but that's not on .

Slag blues off ? what? because i don't agree that pitch invasions and violence are acceptable and believe it will do the club more harm than good ? it's idiotic behaviour .
That is not the post i am refering to so don't duck behind that one,no-one wants violence,why would you tell us to stop moaning and show class?

Imagine this scenario: The attacking team takes a corner, the ball comes off a defenders arm (deemed unintentional) so no penalty given. The defending team them break the length of the field to score. Should that be given or should it be disallowed? Have they gained an advantage as a result of the handball?

I think the goal would be allowed. The ball-to-hand has not created anything, certainly not a goalscoring opportunity.

Mostly though, this is applying the attacking handball law to a defensive handball, which is nonsensical.

It is being used throughout Europe (and beyond) there is no way it will be sacked off, what is interesting is PIGMOL are not even following the official rules, they have made up their own version. If I was a cynic I would say they had consulted a certain Mr Gill before finalising their version, but that of course would be wrong.
There's defo something that isn't right about it.
It just doesn't sit right.
Let's see how the season pans out.
If everyone else gets these decisions for/against them then fair enough .

That is not the post i am refering to so don't duck behind that one,no-one wants violence

don't wish to argue with you but some people love the football violence . ( all over football ) Some live for it . I know quite a few wanderers supporters that care more about ti than the actual football . it's a tribal thing i guess .

edit : saw you edited your post .

i said show class because of what people are/were suggesting . Getting games abandoned etc. That doesn't help in the slightest . IF next week or month the same decisions go for us ? would we find it acceptable that the other teams supporters got the match abandoned etc ?

will it help to play in front of an empty stadium or be deducted points ? nope .

whinge / moan or whatever but show a bit of class by not resorting to stupidity .

Last edited:

yes I've read that, it's an explanation of the new rules, not a new rule for VAR, and it has (I believe) no bearing on how the rules should be applied, the rules are as have been posted numerous times on this thread, indeed on the last few pages.

IF, and it's a big IF, this explanation is indeed the official interpretation of the rules, then the rules are incredibly poorly worded, because this isn't what they say

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.