Var debate 2019/20

BBC I player ...Radio 5 Live about 8-40 this morning
That was very informative and well worth a listen.
Swarbrick came across as somewhat reasonable ( for a school teacher ) and was big on his statistics which is also good .
It is obviously very early for throwing the baby out with the bath water with crude statistics however, he quoted only 5 reviews in 20 matches which is 25% and he was pleased with that. Ok then , we have been involved with 3 of those which is 60% ( that is 1 team out of a league made up of 20 ) of all the reviews and had 2 altered which is 66 %.

Early days as I say with regards to the statistics but early indications are we are either extremely unlucky or we are being singled out and massively over scrutinised.

Time will tell.

You really don't get the game if you look at that and don't see a player in the air before he's touched.
Pogbad forced that contact by wafting his leg towards the defenders standing leg 'AFTER' he had already started to go down. If you look at his body position a second or so before he goes down you could see he had no intention of going past his man. It is just cheating.

It's not difficult to do. There will be numerous people trying it on in local league games all season, but the refs will either wave play on or book the c*nt for diving because they know exactly what is going on. The beautiful game at the top level is becoming sterile, and VAR is not helping.

I don’t see how it can be down to interpretation because the law is perfectly clear.

The rule is:

(I added the emphasis).

So the law requires that A player (singular) gains control after it has touched THEIR arm AND THEN creates a goal scoring opportunity.

In other words, for this rule to come into play it has got to be the player whose arm the ball touches that gains control of the ball, and that same player has then got to create the opportity to score or score himself. If the ball had come off Aymeric’s arm, accidentally, but he had trapped it and passed it to Jesus to score, the rule would be engaged. Because the ball touches his arm, but Aymeric does not gain control of the ball, the rule was not engaged. That is according to the clear, unambiguous words of the rule.

The law says nothing about a player from the same team gaining control, and if that’s what IFAB had intended it would have been perfectly easy for them to say so in the new rule. It makes perfect sense to say that an accidental ricochet where a player from the same team is on the receiving end is not the same as that player taking advantage of his own accidental handball. If the rule was ambiguous I can see why you might look at what it designed to prevent to understand what it was supposed to mean, but where the wording of the rule is clear as it is here, you don’t need to go any further than the rule itself.

Face it mate, a perfectly good goal was wrongly disallowed.
Spot-on. The wording is clear. It doesn't say anything about gaining possession for the team. This is just a pack of lies made up on the hoof by the Referees Group to cover themselves. Today Swarbrick said that referees had to abide by IFAB guidelines. It would be interesting to see how the new handball rules are being interpreted across the world.
I don't believe the Jesus goal would have been disallowed in any other European league. The officials in the UK are taking paying customers like us for idiots. Not for the first time.

Swarbricks answer does not stand up to scrutiny. Oliver was not even looking at the incident. We don't even know if VAR officials brought it to his attention.Surely if they had, he should have reviewed it on the pitch side monitor. Nothing like that happened. I wish to hell there was a way of pursuing this to get the correct sequence of events. Something stinks to high heaven.

Swarbricks answer does not stand up to scrutiny. Oliver was not even looking at the incident. We don't even know if VAR officials brought it to his attention.Surely if they had, he should have reviewed it on the pitch side monitor. Nothing like that happened. I wish to hell there was a way of pursuing this to get the correct sequence of events. Something stinks to high heaven.
See the 'Is the game bent' thread.

Thanks for that. I hadn't heard what Swarbrick said, just seen the comments here.

I wonder if this is a result of Saturday, and wanting to try explaining the process involved. It is quite possible that what is being run is different from what most people think it.

Looking at normal speed is reasonable for fouls, as slow motion can distort.

What do you mean by the last bit? Was VAR not given any time to give an opinion?
I think what they were saying that if it is not a clear and obvious error then it would not be looked at. Also Swarbrick mentioned trying to keep to a minimum the amount of decisions referred to VAR.

But why does it need him looking at it pitch side? The guys in the room who are seeing all the angles on the screen have a better chance of getting it right, without players and fans in their face. So, why then did then get it wrong? Because they don't know the rules or have not understood them, or are they just fucking idiots? They say they are going to the letter of the law, well the letter of the law for this handball incident means it's a goal. The fact that numerous ex-professionals, commentators and even some refs have not highlighted this, is fucking frightening.

Just had a 2-3minute wait in between for something completely pedantic to be checked. Which even if it was offside, was not gaining an advantage in any form.

They went mental at first but it was completely cut short as I've seen from fan videos in the ground.

The cheer after it was awarded didn't make up for that celebration being cut short.

Even affects momentum for the kick off afterwards, gives the conceding team time to regroup. It's causing more problems on the pitch than it first intended in my opinion.

Yep to fair. Even though I’m in favour of VAR - the celebrations for fans have a real negative impact. It is the biggest downside for me.

It certainly needs investigating. Swarbrick is claiming that VAR is there to support referees not replace them. But the call on Rodri was made by the VAR team. The Sky footage clearly shows that Oliver did not see the incident so he must have taken his lead from the VAR team without checking it. Just as he did for the disallowed Jesus goal. This is a total disgrace and it undermines referees and the integrity of the game. Swarbrick needs to be held to account for his comments on Radio 5 today.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.