Var debate 2019/20

Hoping this is right.

I never liked the idea of checking every goal. It might seem odd because that sounds like the right thing to do, but it is this that is the problem. It's bad enough that my first instinct is to check the linesman every time we score these days, but at least that's only a slight delay.
Yeah having to check yourself after every goal isn’t good. At the match on Saturday, ironically, my sons both were quite subdued for the first two goals, thinking that they could be ruled out due to offside, but they went absolutely ballistic when the ‘third’ went in.

Direct free kick

A direct free kick is awarded if a player commits any of the following offences against an opponent in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:
  • charges
  • jumps at
  • kicks or attempts to kick
  • pushes
  • strikes or attempts to strike (including head-butt)
  • tackles or challenges
  • trips or attempts to trip
If an offence involves contact it is penalised by a direct free kick or penalty kick.
  • Careless is when a player shows a lack of attention or consideration when making a challenge or acts without precaution. No disciplinary sanction is needed
  • Reckless is when a player acts with disregard to the danger to, or consequences for, an opponent and must be cautioned
  • Using excessive force is when a player exceeds the necessary use of force and endangers the safety of an opponent and must be sent off
A direct free kick is awarded if a player commits any of the following offences:
  • a handball offence (except for the goalkeeper within their penalty area)
  • holds an opponent
  • impedes an opponent with contact
  • bites or spits at someone
  • throws an object at the ball, opponent or match official, or makes contact with the ball with a held object
See also offences in Law 3

So which way should you fall Neil when someone holds you with their arms around your neck. FA laws, not mine not City's the FA's!!!
When Rodri was being assaulted, he was trying to go forward with Lamela dragging him backwards. As Rodri tried to wrestle free, by the laws of physics & inertia, he was bound to lurch forward as Lamela was losing his grip. Realising this, Lamela rear mounted Rodri forcing him to the ground, where Lamela practically bonked him.

Lamela should be sent on a course to learn that no means NO! How anyone could see this incident as anything other than a penalty flummoxes me.... :-(

Last edited:
Things we know about VAR:

1. It is still subjective for fouls.
2. It is still inaccurate for offside as the exact moment of the final pass is subjective, potentially resulting in an error of meters not millimetres.
3. The interpretation of the laws of the game varies between officials.
4. The officials will still lie about what they saw/didn't see.
5. Camera angles can be manipulated to justify an outcome.
6. IT IS NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE.

Last edited:
The Premier League could issue a VAR blog showing all the decisions they have reviewed and describing their reasoning for giving/not giving a decision.
Fair, transparent, unbiased. Help football supporters of all teams get on board with VAR.

But of course they wont.

The Premier League could issue a VAR blog showing all the decisions they have reviewed and describing their reasoning for giving/not giving a decision.
Fair, transparent, unbiased. Help football supporters of all teams get on board with VAR.

But of course they wont.
The might just do that, but they will just lie about the decisions they got wrong.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.