Var debate 2019/20

That’s a complete non-sequitur.

There’s a huge difference between half-seeing something in real time in front of the Kop with 54,000 scousers screaming at you and sitting in a portacabin down south surrounded by monitors and having time to look at six different angle to see if there was contact or if wind knocked the cheating red cûnt over.

So I’m not blind of anything, your cognitive skills simply remain lacking. And it seems you’d prefer the old system where we see the traditional elite benefit (11 offside goals by Liverpool last season) rather than want them to actually make a working and fair VAR rather than the shite being served up, which I find odd. The Europeans have managed to get it right so it’s not outside the realms of possibility that the ‘Best League in the World’ could get there. As another poster said, rugby worked through several incarnations of VAR before they got it right.

What are you after? What’s end game for you? No VAR and we just get screwed by the onfield refs forever more? I’d prefer that to the current VAR probably. But I’m not sure we should settle for that.
Again though mate, seeing the argument from the “agenda” side of things, if (and this is a huge enormous incredibly unlikely to ever happen “if”) VAR was ever implemented as close to 100% fairly as it could be, we would walk the league.

Do you think that is ever likely to be allowed to happen?

You can see why the powers-that-be wouldn't want VAR to be repeatedly over-ruling the referee ... embarrassing and undermines his authority.

On the other hand, for VAR to re-watch many penalty incidents across 30 Premier League games in slow motion close-up... and conclude that *all* the decisions were basically right ... doesn't seem quite right either.

It's clearly going to annoy fans to know that VAR has watched their very strong penalty appeal carefully - with better view / angle than the ref had ... but decided it would be better not to undermine the ref.

True but what is clear and obvious is the officials need help whether they like/want it or not, that's the reason this whole thing was brought in for in the first place. So to not call incidents like the Rodri/Silva penalties via VAR is simply a joke.

Officials have an impossible, thankless job, it's actually amazing how many decisions they get right, especially the linos when you watch a lot of replays for offside. The game is faster than ever, the players are fitter than ever. I don't blame Friend for not seeing the Silva pen through a crowd of players, I blame VAR for not insisting in his ear "you missed this one, go look at the monitor if you have to, this is a big call, he stood on his foot, it's crystal clear I've watched it 3 times on the monitor" surely that's what the VAR should be adamant about.

To bring it in is one thing, but to bring it in and STILL get it completely wrong in plain sight is what is infuriating fans.

As far as I'm aware all referee's the in 30 PL matches have communicated with VAR/Stockley Park, but ZERO have used the pitch side monitors. With the Silva pen, I don't even blame the ref now. Apparently he was unsighted, which is fair enough so he has a chat with the VAR person, and he (under pressure) makes a mess of the decision. The ref, goes about his game in the normal manner, leaves the pitch and hears that the call is COMPLETELY wrong. We might see that same ref, in that same position say "listen, if it's like that Silva challenge, then I'll take a look myself"... and this might lead to an improved use of it. I think they are dead against letting games become a regular 100 min match with the delays, but I think they have to.

True but what is clear and obvious is the officials need help whether they like/want it or not, that's the reason this whole thing was brought in for in the first place. So to not call incidents like the Rodri/Silva penalties via VAR is simply a joke.

Officials have an impossible, thankless job, it's actually amazing how many decisions they get right, especially the linos when you watch a lot of replays for offside. The game is faster than ever, the players are fitter than ever. I don't blame Friend for not seeing the Silva pen through a crowd of players, I blame VAR for not insisting in his ear "you missed this one, go look at the monitor if you have to, this is a big call, he stood on his foot, it's crystal clear I've watched it 3 times on the monitor" surely that's what the VAR should be adamant about.

To bring it in is one thing, but to bring it in and STILL get it completely wrong in plain sight is what is infuriating fans.
This is what we were sold,the correct decisions,they won't even let them use the monitors,this has been so badly implemented,the refs can pass the buck and we have to trust the var refs are not just making it up depending on the team,lack of common sense and the misuse of the technology they have,they need a women to bang their heads together and install some common sense,jesus it's not that fucking complicated

As far as I'm aware all referee's the in 30 PL matches have communicated with VAR/Stockley Park, but ZERO have used the pitch side monitors. With the Silva pen, I don't even blame the ref now. Apparently he was unsighted, which is fair enough so he has a chat with the VAR person, and he (under pressure) makes a mess of the decision. The ref, goes about his game in the normal manner, leaves the pitch and hears that the call is COMPLETELY wrong. We might see that same ref, in that same position say "listen, if it's like that Silva challenge, then I'll take a look myself"... and this might lead to an improved use of it. I think they are dead against letting games become a regular 100 min match with the delays, but I think they have to.
The ironic thing about all of this is that making these decisions correctly—that is, using the same delays that already happened in every game so far for the VAR review—would have delayed the matches exactly 0 additional seconds.

Right now, under the current implementation, the delays caused by most VAR reviews are entirely unnecessary (read: serve no purpose), as there is nearly a 0% chance of the in/decision by the referee being overturned.

They’re interrupting the game for absolutely no reason the vast majority of the time.

This is what we were sold,the correct decisions,they won't even let them use the monitors,this has been so badly implemented,the refs can pass the buck and we have to trust the var refs are not just making it up depending on the team,lack of common sense and the misuse of the technology they have,they need a women to bang their heads together and install some common sense,jesus it's not that fucking complicated
I bet she'll want equal pay too :-)

The ironic thing about all of this is that making these decisions correctly—that is, using the same delays that already happened in every game so far for the VAR review—would have delayed the matches exactly 0 additional seconds.

Right now, under the current implementation, the delays caused by VAR review are entirely unnecessary (read: serve no purpose), as there is close to a 0% chance of the in/decision by the referee being overturned.

They’re interrupting the game for absolutely no reason the vast majority of the time.

A lot of the reviews are for penalty claims aren't they? Pain the arse, not being able to quicken up the goal kick or wait 2 mins for penalty - this then favours the defending team as the pen taker is having too long to mull it over. I liked the use of it for the Jiminez penalty. That's exactly the type of challenge it's impossible for the ref to clearly see.

how can something be so clear and obvious that no-one in the ground saw it'
how can riding on Eric's back Not be clear and Obvious?
how can off-side by m.m.'s be tenable when we do not have the technology to implement it?
The giant that is the Prem is in the hands of mental midgets, not fit for purpose.
VAR has the ability to eliminate a lot of the dirty tricks that blight modern football, but only if the powers-that-be are up to the job. Yet to see evidence of that..

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.