Var debate 2019/20

Again though mate, seeing the argument from the “agenda” side of things, if (and this is a huge enormous incredibly unlikely to ever happen “if”) VAR was ever implemented as close to 100% fairly as it could be, we would walk the league.

Do you think that is ever likely to be allowed to happen?
As I say mate, if I believed the fix was in I’d not bother watching games again.

But you’re right, we would and I think we should have last season.

The ironic thing about all of this is that making these decisions correctly—that is, using the same delays that already happened in every game so far for the VAR review—would have delayed the matches exactly 0 additional seconds.

Right now, under the current implementation, the delays caused by most VAR reviews are entirely unnecessary (read: serve no purpose), as there is nearly a 0% chance of the in/decision by the referee being overturned.

They’re interrupting the game for absolutely no reason the vast majority of the time.
Yep it's a waste of time,we know they won't overule the refs so stop pretending it might,in a game this weekend they stopped play for a couple of mins looking for a red card,nobody had a clue what they were doing,use the time wisely and let them use the monitor if they miss something,var should be there to advise not completely take over

A lot of the reviews are for penalty claims aren't they? Pain the arse, not being able to quicken up the goal kick or wait 2 mins for penalty - this then favours the defending team as the pen taker is having too long to mull it over. I liked the use of it for the Jiminez penalty. That's exactly the type of challenge it's impossible for the ref to clearly see.
Absolutely. And there’s already a discussion in the football tactics community as to whether VAR review delays are actually something that can be used to gain advantage (team coaching and/or giving water/energy gels/medical treatment during delays, intentionally breaking up play with a VAR reviewable offence to break the rhythm of the match and allowing for your team to ‘reset’, etc.).

Enterprising strategists will find a way to take advantage regardless of the implementation, of course, but the current implementation means it’s even easier!

Absolutely. And there’s already a discussion in the football tactics community as to whether VAR review delays are actually something that can be used to gain advantage (team coaching and/or giving water/energy gels/medical treatment during delays, intentionally breaking up play with a VAR reviewable offence to break the rhythm of the match and allowing for your team to ‘reset’, etc.).

Enterprising strategiests will find a way to take advantage regardless of the implementation, of course, but the current implementation means its even easier!
Good point. Say the penalty claim is waved away and players were getting ready to encroach on the area for the take, or do they run back just in case and wait for the award. lol

Good point. Say the penalty claim is waved away and players were getting ready to encroach on the area for the take, or do they run back just in case and wait for the award. lol
Now they have to write more detailed rules about how a game can be restarted after the unnecessary 2 minute delay causing mass confusion, frustration, and players to be well out of their normal position in the context of the preceding incident! Not to mention what actions can be undertaken by players and staff during the 2 minute delays.

It would be hilarious if it wasn’t infuriating.

Here is another issue.

You can’t start a season with one set of rules re VAR and then change the approach to its use.

That’s unfair and distorts the sporting competition.
We do this every year though, 2 seasons ago any defender holding at corners will be penalty, it lasted 3 weeks (until just we were punished), they realised there would be 20 penalties per game, so they "adapted", and that is what VAR will do "adapt", the more criticism the more lines will fudge, personally I think that is a sensible approach.

I agree with all of this but just would want to make the point that there should be at no time, for any reason, the requirement for City (or any other club) to finish chances at a “high enough rate” to compensate for incompetent/bias refereeing or a farcical implementation of VAR (rather than to simply score more goals than the opposition).

It is tantamount to going in to every match with a handicap and we shouldn’t accept it as an unavoidable reality.

We shouldn’t have to play against the opposition club, the referee, and VAR every match — surely the opposition club is enough.
I agree, so lets get our bit right, it takes the rest out of the equation either way.

I agree, so lets get our bit right, it takes the rest out of the equation either way.
Not if every goal is scrutinised for a reason to disallow. ;-)

But, yes, in a perfect world, we will score 5 goals every match generally rendering VAR irrelevant.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.