Var debate 2019/20

From BBC online

It is anticipated Riley will tell clubs the on-field referee will make more use of monitors.

It was envisaged that would happen from the point VAR came into use in the Premier League but Riley advised referees not to use them in order to prevent additional delays.

It is now felt the on-field referee is best placed to make marginal calls because they are more aware of the flow of the game and the atmosphere at the time.

?

I was fortunate enough to spend a train journey with a top referee which gave me a fantastic insight in the work of refereeing.
He was very candid and was scathing about Mike Riley and the need to maintain the status quo in the game.
It’s the same arrogance we see from the FA, Eufa and FIFA.

As Brian Clough proved , the best man for the job doesn’t always cut it.

From BBC online

It is anticipated Riley will tell clubs the on-field referee will make more use of monitors.

It was envisaged that would happen from the point VAR came into use in the Premier League but Riley advised referees not to use them in order to prevent additional delays.

It is now felt the on-field referee is best placed to make marginal calls because they are more aware of the flow of the game and the atmosphere at the time.

?
Riley was right the first time. When I’ve seen it in other leagues, in Europe or internationals it takes far too long. Too much of the game is lost and the full time is not added on.

If you told a rugby ref that the VAR would advise them to go and look at the footage himself he’d think you were taking the piss

That’s the whole point of VAR: to look at the replays the ref doesn’t get to see and tell the ref whether they were right or wrong.

Handing it back to the ref after a qualified ref whose job it is to view replays for that specific game is laughable.

We’re going to have loads of minutes robbed from us!

WTF has ‘flow of the game’ and ‘atmosphere’ got to do with making decisions??

Atmosphere means that at grounds like Old Trafford and Anfield nothing will be given to antagonise the home fans.

It also means that at grounds like Brightons or say Norwich they wont give a fuck about screwing them over.

I think if some of the rules were actually changed it would help VAR and refs

For instance -these decisions by micro millimetres whether someone is onside/offside - go back to when there had to be clear daylight between attacker and defender - this would make decisions a lot easier and a much higer percentage of being right...maybe still not perfect but it would be a lot better.

Handball rule - everyone knows this needs changing - (what i cannt stand is the media, pundits, ex-players saying that when someone jumps and their hand/arm is raised that the arm is in an unatural position - it isnt...to jump and get momentum and power you have to raise you arms...no one jumps with their hands/arms by their sides)
The handball rule needs changing - i dont know if others would agree but it should be at least the same rule for the defender and attacker but it s clearly wrong at present.

Fouls - this definitely needs looking at....the one vs Atalanta for us is a prime example -yes it was shit by Gundogan to give the ball away where he did, and equally as shit as what Bravo did going to ground in that fashion but the attacker hurdled him and deliberately left a leg trailing (no idea why - he was past Bravo) - if refs, pundits, commentators cannt see it was deliberate they shouldnt be anywhere near a football pitch - when the attacker initiates contact (Mane being another example) then it shouldnt be a foul - we are ruining the game (and it started a long time ago to be fair) with this. Mane's comments about feelign contact and going down - this is he issue right there....youo fall over cause you cannot maintain your balance not becuase you you feel contact - its a game of skill and keeping your balance under pressure is a skill (Imagine Kun going down when Ohnua cliops him for the 93:20 goal vs QPR - he may have got a penalty, he may not but Ohnua does just clip him as he goes to shoot...we could never have had that moment if Kun had gone down cause he felt contact but he had the "skill" to stay on his feet.
Whatever criteria that involves measurement will not work It’s simple for me if an offside cannot be spotted when it’s run in real time by VAR then, the decision stays with on field officials who, to be frank, get the majority right, the ones that would be over turned would be for example the offside goal scored by Liverpool at WHU, or over ruling the offside decision of the Arsenal goal at Trafford this season
The handball law was as changed this season to help VAR but as usual they made a mess of it
Fouls will always be subjective until a computer is made the ref and algorithm are used

Last edited:
Omg what a miss Kun, pass it it for KDB or score yourself.

Our opponents just dont miss these chances.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.