VAR Discussion Thread - 2023/24 | PL clubs to vote on whether to scrap VAR (pg413)

Would you want VAR scrapped?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What they need to do is agree specific protocols for events such as if they are checking a goal as in rugby the referee states "Is there any reason not to award a try the onfield decision is try" then all that has to happen is they check and say we agree with your decision or disagree. They show the ref what they are looking at if they disagree and then the ref and VAR and linesmen discuss it as they are looking at the footage and then the referee makes the decision. The crowd hear and see the footage so buy into why the decision is made I dont know why cant football do something the same
Apparently IFAB don't think referees are up to communicating in a professional manner so it would get fucked up. The thing is professional refs should erm be professional. The audio of the Liverpool fuck up kind of emphasises just how shite and unprofessional the refs are compared to pretty much every other sport on the planet. For me the biggest issue is VAR and refs being from the same group so automatic backing up of the onfield decision because they don't want to be overruled or advised to check monitor the following week.

Last edited:
You can, at least, have consistency of process even if the decisions themselves are subjective.

Agree this is the crux of it. We’re never going to agree on everything but we need to know the criteria, ala:

> Is there contact?
> Are there multiple points of contact?
> Is the contact of sufficient force?
> Does attacker or defender initiate contact?

Maybe the referee thinks the defender initiated contact and we think the attacker did… that can happen… but we need to hear him say that out loud to understand the basis of the decision. Without that it feels like different referees just guessing. They probably aren’t, they are trained after all… but it baffles me that this isn’t the way it was done from the start. It does nothing to dispel the idea that they fear transparency.

I don't really disagree with you. I’d love VAR to get referees to look at the monitor more for all big, subjective decisions, without telling them they are wrong. I believe that if the ref had rewatched that penalty, he’d have changed his decision.

Clear and obvious can hide behind the bar being moved higher or lower and also just verifying their mate’s decision.
Yeah that would be great, watching some bloke watching a telly. Should go the whole hog and have celebrity ref's like gogglebox

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.