VAR Discussion Thread - 2023/24 | PL clubs to vote on whether to scrap VAR (pg413)

Would you want VAR scrapped?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My biggest argument for VAR is that they will always look to find ways to improve and evolve. No officiating system will ever please or be flawless. This is another step in the right direction

+++

Premier League clubs have approved unanimously the use of semi-automated offside technology (SAOT) for the 2024-25 season.

The plan is to introduce the system after one of the international breaks in September or October, the Premier League said.
Fifa first used the technology at the 2022 men's World Cup in Qatar.

It is anticipated SAOT could cut the length of a video assistant referee (VAR) check for offside by 31 seconds.

In a statement, the Premier League said the state-of-the-art technology "will provide quicker and consistent placement of the virtual offside line, based on optical player tracking".

+++

My biggest argument for VAR is that they will always look to find ways to improve and evolve. No officiating system will ever please or be flawless. This is another step in the right direction

+++

Premier League clubs have approved unanimously the use of semi-automated offside technology (SAOT) for the 2024-25 season.

The plan is to introduce the system after one of the international breaks in September or October, the Premier League said.

It is anticipated SAOT could cut the length of a video assistant referee (VAR) check for offside by 31 seconds.

In a statement, the Premier League said the state-of-the-art technology "will provide quicker and consistent placement of the virtual offside line, based on optical player tracking".

+++
Ric started a thread to discuss this, given it is technically separate from VAR.

+++

+++

“My biggest argument for VAR is that they will always look to find ways to improve and evolve.”

Hate to break it to you...,you can’t polish a turd.

Looked at all three and honestly I don’t think any of them are stonewall considering how that Tweet has made them out.

The third is probably a penalty for me, he’s come in clumsily from behind, surprised that’s not been given.

The first and second I’ve seen given but I’m more on the fence with. The second I just objectively hate the handball rule at the moment. It’s so disproportionately punishing. Is it handball, maybe? But I never want to see handballs like that given it just ruins the game for me seeing teams getting penalties for basically nothing. Same as the Grealish one yesterday in many respects. It’s never intentional, he’s less than 5 yards away.

The first one, it’s like half ball half foot. Probably wouldn’t give it myself but can see why some would and would probably claim it if it was City.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.