VAR Discussion Thread - 2023/24 | PL clubs to vote on whether to scrap VAR (pg413)

Would you want VAR scrapped?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have read a lot of comments about VAR not being accurate enough for offsides due to frame speeds and marginal decisions being dependent on where the VAR operator stops the frame when tbe ball leaves the players foot. If we want to give the benefit of doubt to the attacking team and not rule out marginal goals perhaps they need to completely relook at the order they assess off aides using VAR.

Freeze the frame where the attacking player is level and onside and then look at the ball leaving the players foot. If it's still in contact, then the goal stands.
just wrote below post to the other thread. i think that may be a solution. cheers

--
1719750935626.png

How about keeping it simple. If there is no separation between the two bodies, (not legs, toes, hair.) Then it's onside. Yesterday's decision (Pigmob again involved in controversy) is not how foot all should be played.
frame selection wil make the difference still, i think. one frame there will be separtion while the other frame there may be contact.

Last edited:
How about keeping it simple. If there is no separation between the two bodies, (not legs, toes, hair.) Then it's onside. Yesterday's decision (Pigmob again involved in controversy) is not how foot all should be played.

The Pgmol involvement in that decision consisted entirely of the VAR telling the referee that the computer says offside.

The decision, given the guidelines and the tools they were working with, wasn’t in the least bit controversial.

They already have eliminated human involvement in judging off side position. In the Euros at least. Coming to the Prem. soon.
Frame selection is still being done by humans, is not it? i mean, a guy pausing the video and selecting the frame as far as i know. that is the problematic process i think. 1 frame later is offside, 1 frame before is on side.
after selecting the frame there is no meaning if it is automatic or not.

Frame selection is still being done by humans, is not it? i mean, a guy pausing the video and selecting the frame as far as i know. that is the problematic process i think. 1 frame later is offside, 1 frame before is on side.

No, it is all done automatically. The only human involvement is if a player in an offside position who doesn’t touch the ball, is interfering with play or an opponent.

No, it is all done automatically. The only human involvement is if a player in an offside position who doesn’t touch the ball, is interfering with play or an opponent.
really?if the frame is selected automatically, then sorry. i was not aware of that.
thanks for info.

in turkey, they use half automatic system, and frames are seleceted by individuals...
probably, that is why i am mistaken....
so i am ok with that system... if frames are really selected randomly, or automatic lets say; then it is fair i believe...
no other solution comes to my mind.

ps: i hate VAR... but if there will be var, then i am ok with this 100% automatic off side sytem.

So why not let the guy pick the last frame where the goal scorer is onside. Then let the technology decide if the ball has left the foot of the passing player?

So why not let the guy pick the last frame where the goal scorer is onside. Then let the technology decide if the ball has left the foot of the passing player?
lets reverse the process ha? this can be used. maybe that system may have advantages....
but still,
I don't trust humans who pause the video and select the frame. It doesn't matter if they are pausing the frame at the moment the goal scorer was last onside and checking whether the ball is touching the assister's foot or not touching at that instant.

but as, @Stephen230 mentioned, if the process is full automatic, then i am ok with that....

This is how it will go.

They will say these are the new guidelines for the season and then a team in red will not like it because it costs them, the media will be in uproar and they will change guidelines.

Then a team in red won't like it because it costs them, the media will be in uproar and they will change them.....

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.