VAR Discussion Thread - 2023/24 | PL clubs to vote on whether to scrap VAR (pg413)

Would you want VAR scrapped?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So it's ok to disallow a goal for offside with an attacking players hand if that's the furthest forward body part. Even though the attacking player cannot score with their hand, arm or elbow. Yet come yesterday, it seems the goal posts are moved for a defender.
Why didn't they do this yesterday, why did they only measure the foot part of the body as it was clear the united players hand was keeping the attacker onside.
I'm pretty sure if the VAR officials had applied the same rules they did in the match (Chelsea vs liverpool, Carabao Cup Final) when they chalked off the goal for Chelsea for the attacking player with their arm being in an offside position.
What's the difference there?
No advantage to the attacking team at all in both scenarios when everyone says that the advantage should always be to the forward player.
Chelsea vs liverpool (Carabao Cup Final)
Coventry vs man united (FA Cup Semi-Final)
Guess who benefitted, guess what colour shirt they wear.

What people sometimes forget is that if you are running at, say 10 kms per hour, your non-standing leg is actually moving at closer to 20 kms per hour. Unless you are jumping with your ankles tied together. So whatever % you think it is, you can almost halve it for leg movement.

So 1/50 of a second can mean a leg movement of 5-10 cms for around half a stride pattern, even at a brisk walking pace (if I did my maths right). Personally, I don't believe even the new SAOT is able to get that level of accuracy.

But I am open to being convinced (same issue with the goal line tech actually, nice graphic but I struggle with its accuracy to the mm tbh. Maybe that camera has a higher fps?).
I 've no doubt the points you make are valid.

My view, and it's one I've held for sometime now, is that top class football has now been reduced to some sort of maths lesson with mm being debated for crucial offside decisions.

Such decisions made by a group of powerful men who are not even in the ground where the incident takes place.

Football is finished, and even the var lovers on this site can see it now..but probably will not admit it.

Anthony Taylor destroyed my love of watching games live by his decision making v Chelsea at the Etihad years ago...pre Var, when he inexplicably changed his mind over a clear sending off when David Luiz denied Sergio a clear goal scoring opportunity.....again ,the decision was made by a group of powerful unseen men who told the match day ref what to do by whispering into his ear peice...I say whispering , because to this day , none of us know what was said...

That's not the game I grew up obsessed with,and it's only gotten worse with this var farce.

Manchester utd football club should be ashamed of themselves ,leaning on modern technology to cheat their way through to the bbc fa cup final,once again......An absolute disgrace..

The link between Anthony Taylor and his brothers who are all season ticket holders at old Trafford, and yesterday's clear example of cheating, should not he overlooked either...

What people sometimes forget is that if you are running at, say 10 kms per hour, your non-standing leg is actually moving at closer to 20 kms per hour. Unless you are jumping with your ankles tied together. So whatever % you think it is, you can almost halve it for leg movement.

So 1/50 of a second can mean a leg movement of 5-10 cms for around half a stride pattern, even at a brisk walking pace (if I did my maths right). Personally, I don't believe even the new SAOT is able to get that level of accuracy.

But I am open to being convinced (same issue with the goal line tech actually, nice graphic but I struggle with its accuracy to the mm tbh. Maybe that camera has a higher fps?).
Cameras are 50fps. At 2.24m/s or 224cm/s (around 5mph or brisk walking pace) 244/50 is @4.5cm, so absolutely not a toenail. Given that there are potentially 3 or 4 frames that could be chosen, then you could easily say up to 18cm difference at WALKING PACE.

Webb said they were lowering the threshold for offside with that goal.
But that was it, never to be used again.
Absolute bent fuckers the lot of them, killing the game

Whatever you think about the actual level of the tolerance level, it has been applied multiple times every season since then.

Including for at least one City goal earlier in the season and in the Fulham, Liverpool game yesterday.

I 've no doubt the points you make are valid.

My view, and it's one I've held for sometime now, is that top class football has now been reduced to some sort of maths lesson with mm being debated for crucial offside decisions.

Such decisions made by a group of powerful men who are not even in the ground where the incident takes place.

Football is finished, and even the var lovers on this site can see it now..but probably will not admit it.

Anthony Taylor destroyed my love of watching games live by his decision making v Chelsea at the Etihad years ago...pre Var, when he inexplicably changed his mind over a clear sending off when David Luiz denied Sergio a clear goal scoring opportunity.....again ,the decision was made by a group of powerful unseen men who told the match day ref what to do by whispering into his ear peice...I say whispering , because to this day , none of us know what was said...

That's not the game I grew up obsessed with,and it's only gotten worse with this var farce.

Manchester utd football club should be ashamed of themselves ,leaning on modern technology to cheat their way through to the bbc fa cup final,once again......An absolute disgrace..

The link between Anthony Taylor and his brothers who are all season ticket holders at old Trafford, and yesterday's clear example of cheating, should not he overlooked either...

You’re correct in a round about kinda way. Every brother Taylor has got is a United season ticket holder. All none of them.

The rules should be fair for both sides,
You just can not give that goal as offside because of the fine margins involved, 100% if United scored that goal it would not even go to Var or they would say they looked and the goal stands and the referee blows for full-time.

Coventry City was robbed in clear day light and they never used a mask to rob them
Agree. The linesman didn’t flag so the goal should have stood. It’s fucking disgraceful.

Whatever you think about the actual level of the tolerance level, it has been applied multiple times every season since then.

Including for at least one City goal earlier in the season and in the Fulham, Liverpool game yesterday.
Not good enough I'm afraid.
Multiple times? Hmmmm.
Why not set the same level for all the games, regardless of which team/player is involved

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.