VAR Discussion Thread - 2023/24

Semi automatic offsides is a step in the right direction. Take that decision away from the clowns.

Imho, SAOT isn't a step in the right direction, at all. It's another step in the wrong direction towards unachievable and unnecessary accuracy. It will lead to more goals like the Coventry goal at the weekend being ruled out for even closer calls. Is that really what football wants?

Why not just use the Hawkeye type technology for offside? A line the width of the goal line , or maybe s bit less. If both defender and attackers feet are deemed touching the line it's considered level.Hawkeye can decide that as they do with goal line (thank god Stones!) and tennis. Just need to agree on width of line. I would say 4 inches max.

I was listening to talkSPORT yesterday and Danny Kelly i think it was on there said he knows a very well respected cinematographer claimed these clowns using VAR aren’t even using the right technology and it’s impossible to call offsides with what there using
The fuckers are just making it up as they go along and wonder why clubs are getting pissed off

Forest yesterday and now this ...........white elephant? I always thought it was going to be.

Parody, I think?

I saw that offside, difficult to blame the linesman for that. His view was obstructed by another Leeds player who was in an offside position.

In the old days, he should have made an effort to get onside or he would have been flagged offside. Just another rule change where it sometimes makes it impossible for a linesman to do (what used to be) his job properly and to the best of his ability.

I think the issue is, referees are judged by impossible standards against rules that aren't fit for purpose and are ever-changing with technology.

A lot of it VAR is to blame but VAR in essence isn't a problem, it's the rules brought in to accommodate VAR are a problem. It's this implementation of the rules that has a lot of us sick to death of VAR.

Clear and obvious needs a rethink.
VAR: What did you see happen?
Ref: I saw this...
VAR: That's fine or review on monitor and make your own decision (do not show incident in slow motion).

The handball rule. Last year I actually thought was working. In essence every handball where the arm was away from the body was a penalty. It was wrong from a deliberate standpoint but at least it was consistent. They've moved away from this now though, where some are given and some arent and I get why this is happening. Most handballs just aren't deliberate, including the Young one, the Grealish one and Wan Bissaka's one against Coventry which all happened at the weekend. They either need to go back to accidental handball or awarding every pen again. The in-between just leads to more inconsistencies.

The PGMOL does need to improve the standard but I get why its hard to do. Lower leagues dont have VAR so the training pathway is much harder. Plus who'd be a ref at the moment with the abuse they get. I probably would given the money they get but the abuse is brutal.

I do think clubs and fans need to grow up with the statements put out. I'm sick to death of hearing about the officials every week, they make mistakes and have been making them for decades. The talk around it in the last few years has gotten worse. Sometimes they're shit but a lot of the time it only gets called out because the team that are calling out the decisions have been just as shit that day.

Sometimes though the officials aren't as shit as some think. TNT's commentators were essentially calling the referee in the Lille-Villa game an idiot last week for failing to send Martinez off in the shootout. It wasn't until a producer pointed out the rules around yellow cards in shootouts had changed that they realised they were wrong. Did they apologise though? Did they fuck.

Semi-automated offsides are coming in, that's worked in Europe and the World Cup, so there's one change that makes the game better and hopefully helps referees.

I know that reads like I'm defending PGMOL, I'm not, as an organisation they are a mess, the training isn't up to standard and they've not done enough to simplify the implementation of the rules. It does feel like a mess of a job to do though.

I suppose I'm just sick of it being about decisions the ref has made every week and not the football being played on the pitch. Forest have scored the 4th least goals and conceded the 5th most, on top of having 4 points deducted. The refs aren't the only reason they're fighting relegation.
Good read that.

The opening two paragraphs are absolutely spot on.

The rules leave such a grey area that it's inevitable that people query how the hell they are being implemented game by game.

Hate to say it but we are all going to have to accept that officials are most likely going to have affection towards a particular club. If they didn't, they probably wouldn't have ever started to become a ref and work very hard to achieve the levels that they have.

We have to agree on professional integrity in the same way that we believe that should Pep rotate our players for a tie against Barca, that he has done it for the right reasons and not to 'throw the game ' regardle of the outcome.

Or should Stones concede a penalty whilst playing Barnsley that it isn't because of his boyhood allegiance etc etc etc.

As you opened with, simplifying the rule book that are then aided by the implementation of technology is the most important change that could be made whilst ensuring that the ref's ar so well protected from corruption or influence.

For what it's worth, didn't Clattenburg disappear overnight under quite a dark grey cloud? Not sure his testament should be taken as absolute gospel to be fair............

Good read that.

The opening two paragraphs are absolutely spot on.

The rules leave such a grey area that it's inevitable that people query how the hell they are being implemented game by game.

Hate to say it but we are all going to have to accept that officials are most likely going to have affection towards a particular club. If they didn't, they probably wouldn't have ever started to become a ref and work very hard to achieve the levels that they have.

We have to agree on professional integrity in the same way that we believe that should Pep rotate our players for a tie against Barca, that he has done it for the right reasons and not to 'throw the game ' regardle of the outcome.

Or should Stones concede a penalty whilst playing Barnsley that it isn't because of his boyhood allegiance etc etc etc.

As you opened with, simplifying the rule book that are then aided by the implementation of technology is the most important change that could be made whilst ensuring that the ref's ar so well protected from corruption or influence.

For what it's worth, didn't Clattenburg disappear overnight under quite a dark grey cloud? Not sure his testament should be taken as absolute gospel to be fair............

Agreed. This nonsense about which club a referee supports should stop. It was set up in a time when anyone thought such things were important. Just do away with it and realise referees, if left to it, are doing their best in a difficult environment. Get the best referees in the most challenging matches.

There are ways to monitor and punish (if necessary) favouratism.

Agreed. This nonsense about which club a referee supports should stop. It was set up in a time when anyone thought such things were important. Just do away with it and realise referees, if left to it, are doing their best in a difficult environment. Get the best referees in the most challenging matches.

There are ways to monitor and punish (if necessary) favouratism.
In my job I regularly come across friends and colleagues from previous roles / companies etc - I never put myself in a position where I could be accused of showing bias.

I generally implement a self-imposed 'higher bar' on most aspects so that there is no recourse or suspicion and if it was to say employ a former colleague or friend etc, I would ensure that someone else conducts the interview without me present for the exact same reason...........

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.