VAR Discussion Thread - 2023/24 | PL clubs to vote on whether to scrap VAR (pg413)

Would you want VAR scrapped?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Presumably an investigation into whether club allegiance for VAR officials should follow on field official rules might be achievable? In addition, an investigation into the competence of Atwell would also be a possibility and given his track record wouldn’t be pretty for him. In any other arena of business these investigations would be done. But not football.

Why?
Do you think they will succeed?

That tweet could have been written by brooklands blue, although it did lack the word dossier.

The fact a Luton fan wouldn’t be allowed to ref the game but can VAR and the fact that at least 2 blatant penalties weren’t given
I guess it depends on his professionalism. If he’s not barred by being from the same local FA, then it’s not against the rules.

Is too much made of who a referee supports? It even got to KC’s looking at our charges!

The result wasnt the best outcome for them anyway.

I guess it depends on his professionalism. If he’s not barred by being from the same local FA, then it’s not against the rules.

Is too much made of who a referee supports? It even got to KC’s looking at our charges!

The result wasnt the best outcome for them anyway.
As ever with everything VAR the rules they apply are nonsensical. Regardless of whether you agree with the partisan support rules with referees you would surely concede that if it applies to the ref it should apply to the VAR?

We shall see what the outcome of it is. If it’s “how dare you question the integrity of the refereeing team and VAR” this is not an answer in itself. The integrity of referees has been proven to be suspect in Italy and the Barca case calls into question their integrity in Spain. Why not England?

So you aren’t concerned with the substance of what they’ve said just the way they did it? Why shouldn’t they say it publicly? It’s not good form?

For the same reason it’s always been frowned upon, questioning the integrity of the referee devalues all of them. They're already scrutinised to death without public accusations of bias by the clubs themselves.

If people really thought rationally about it, if you were in a job where you knew there was a potential of an accusation of bias, and that would be publicised to millions and your every move scrutinised even without that potential bias, what would your natural instinct be? It wouldn’t be to fulfil that bias, if anything it would be the complete opposite.

People assume that everyone is a fan to the same level as they are and assume everyone else’s thought processes will be influenced as theirs are. That’s the perception Forest are amplifying in their statement.

Complain about the decisions absolutely (although I think the first two, he was right to keep with the on field judgment, the third was a shocker) and ask for an explanation for it. By doing what they’ve done though, the ultimate consequence if everyone did it and it was allowed is we’re going to end up with an even smaller pool of remotely competent referees than we have now at the top level (and yes they are competent and have to go through a shedload of assessments to get to that level in the first place).

For the same reason it’s always been frowned upon, questioning the integrity of the referee devalues all of them. They're already scrutinised to death without public accusations of bias by the clubs themselves.

If people really thought rationally about it, if you were in a job where you knew there was a potential of an accusation of bias, and that would be publicised to millions and your every move scrutinised even without that potential bias, what would your natural instinct be? It wouldn’t be to fulfil that bias, if anything it would be the complete opposite.

People assume that everyone is a fan to the same level as they are and assume everyone else’s thought processes will be influenced as theirs are. That’s the perception Forest are amplifying in their statement.

Complain about the decisions absolutely (although I think the first two, he was right to keep with the on field judgment, the third was a shocker) and ask for an explanation for it. By doing what they’ve done though, the ultimate consequence if everyone did it and it was allowed is we’re going to end up with an even smaller pool of remotely competent referees than we have now at the top level (and yes they are competent and have to go through a shedload of assessments to get to that level in the first place).
Fair to an extent but the omnishambles of VAR (how many apologies this year) is testing everyone’s patience. At what point do you take the gloves off?

Fair to an extent but the omnishambles of VAR (how many apologies this year) is testing everyone’s patience. At what point do you take the gloves off?

Oh I agree with that, I’ve never liked VAR and would quite happily scrap it tomorrow!

As I said earlier in the thread though, that’d rely on people accepting the referees decision and stop scrutinising video evidence so much - that ship has already long sailed unfortunately.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.