VAR (PL introduction 2019)

No, no, no, no and again no. The game will be so much worse. You will never again be able to celebrate a goal at the time the ball hits the back of the net and both the ref and the liner, like you, think its a perfectly good goal. You have to wait minutes while some unseen person/people at a video screen analyse the move to death to see if they can find anything wrong with it. And if you think that analysis will be fair and square you've been watching a different game to me for the last decade or five. The worst thing to be introduced to the game, ever.

When a goal goes in now I always stare at the lino waiting for him to flag, before I start celebrating.

It seems to me with VAR that we are still going to get random decisions sometimes (Just as we did when it was just the ref/lino making the decisions) but the joy of celebrating will be killed. It cant carry imo.
There's far better ways to implement it mate, they want it to fail.

The problem is, you only think its offside after its been reviewed, and even then I don't agree it is. The offside rule now is supposed to be that you're only offside if you go to touch the ball, nothing to do with "interfering" any more. Its not clear she did go to the ball, to me she barely moved, but she couldn't have got it anyway as the Swedish player flicked it on, the referee reviewed it and was happy to give it both times.

Too much is getting referred now, some over millimetres, when as I said elsewhere, the camera technology isn't good enough for that.

I would respectfully disagree. The American forward in an offside position definitely moved to play the ball.

When a goal goes in now I always stare at the lino waiting for him to flag, before I start celebrating.

As everyone does. For a split second. Now wait ages until the ref or whoever decides on a review, then eons for the review itself. That tripe might add to the excitement in some games (tennis/cricket), football is completely different and it will kill the excitement.

I would respectfully disagree. The American forward in an offside position definitely moved to play the ball.
So VAR is improving nothing, we'll still all interpretate things differently.

I just think its shit defending by the Swedish defender, but the thing is the referee gave it first time, she then listened to the VAR team, reviewed it, and still gave it. There was a similar "offside" in an earlier game, where the ball never got to the striker, because the defender executed a terrible header into her own net, it was similarly reviewed, and given, so at least there is some consistency.....

As everyone does. For a split second. Now wait ages until the ref or whoever decides on a review, then eons for the review itself. That tripe might add to the excitement in some games (tennis/cricket), football is completely different and it will kill the excitement.

I can understand this point of view, however at the World Cup when it did go to review at times it did add to the drama and the fans seemed ecstatic enough (when it went there way)

I assume you were not at the Shalke game where we celebrated the goals then waited for minutes for each one before knowing whether the goals stood! It’s ridiculous the length of time taken to make the decision. That’s what takes the enjoyment out of the game!
People watching at home are better informed about what is going on than those in the stadium!
It needs a radical rethink on how it is to be used.
CTID

You assume wrong. I was there, I was also there against spurs right next to the away fans And went beserk along with everybody else and was left absolutely devastated when I finally realised it was disallowed, I haven’t felt that gutted since we were last relegated. I agree with all your complaints but they’re all logistics that will be ironed out in time we can’t have it perfect straight away. the important thing is the technology works, now it’s just a matter of time to get the officials adequately trained.

No, no, no, no and again no. The game will be so much worse. You will never again be able to celebrate a goal at the time the ball hits the back of the net and both the ref and the liner, like you, think its a perfectly good goal. You have to wait minutes while some unseen person/people at a video screen analyse the move to death to see if they can find anything wrong with it. And if you think that analysis will be fair and square you've been watching a different game to me for the last decade or five. The worst thing to be introduced to the game, ever.

So you’d rather blatantly incorrect decisions continue to be made on a regular basis? I’m not denying the time delay is a big issue but do you not think it will be improved? Over time, we will perfect the system so that eventually it’s almost instant. Until then we will have to put up with it’s flaws but if you’re getting the correct decisions then it’s worth the sacrifice.

If you don’t get why it takes the emotion from the game then you’re part of the problem.

With regards to the “emotion” of debating dodgy decisions with mates or in pubs etc then no I don’t get it, I’d take the correct outcome all day over a conversation topic. In the scenario of celebrating a goal in the moment as Gavvo mentioned, then of course I get it, but I also understand that technology advances rapidly and what we have now is merely the start and not the end result. I’m not sure why people don’t think it will improve in time. I fully expect them to improve it and continue to improve it until it takes a matter of seconds and then it basically becomes the same as looking across at a linesman for a flag after a goal

I can understand this point of view, however at the World Cup when it did go to review at times it did add to the drama and the fans seemed ecstatic enough (when it went there way)

It cant add to the drama, it can only detract from it. The drama of scoring a goal is the highlight of any game, the threat of VAR taking away a goal kills that highlight. As it did for us v Spurs. The chance of an oppositions team goal being chalked off by VAR in no way makes up for that.

It cant add to the drama, it can only detract from it. The drama of scoring a goal is the highlight of any game, the threat of VAR taking away a goal kills that highlight. As it did for us v Spurs. The chance of an oppositions team goal being chalked off by VAR in no way makes up for that.

But Spurs fans were ecstatic, even singing about there love for VAR, for them the decision to give the goal was probably a better feeling that the initial goal, speculating here and honestly not trying to wind up , but when VAR rules in your favour I can see how after the doubt of whether it was a goal it can lead to bigger celebrations.
It’s happened without VAR many times.
A goal goes in, everyone cheers, the ref then runs over to the lino, they have a long discussion - and the ref point to the centre circle , that’s followed by a more ecstatic celebration than the initial goal.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.