VAR Thread - 2021/22

The problem isn't VAR, but how they use VAR. They can influence a game without VAR as well, like the referee in our game with Southampton: he didn't give the foul on Kevin and he didn't show a red card for the foul on Laporte. They don't need VAR to make such "mistakes" and influence games.
Exactly it’s been going for years

Exactly it’s been going for years
It's called classic game management (manipulation).

Disproportional application of the LOTG, getting in the way of passes/outlet ball, the application of the 'Advantage' rule, time keeping, etc...

All used to great effect to control the outcome of games. The players and managers of both teams 100% know when a match official is favouring one team over another and it effects their decision making, positively for the favoured team and negatively for the unfavoured team.

I have never believed in the grand conspiracy theory about the football authorities (ie that the whole structure is corrupt and they all hate City, though some people obviously do hate City) but it is a fact that certain matches have been influenced because it has been confirmed by some former referees.
I don't think it is about "brown envelopes full of cash" (at least outside betting scams) but it is obvious that some referees are cowards. They don't make decisions which undermine the biggest clubs especially LFC and MUFC who have big influence in the decison-making process which can make or break people's career as referees and in senior positions at the PL itself (even vetting the CEO's job)
It is a form of instututional corruption and the fact that someone like Mike Riley has ended up in charge of PGMOL tells you everything you need to know. I don't believe that Pawson was being corrupt with his Jota penalty decision (and it was his decision not the match referee's) but he is weak and has allowed himself to be influenced by peer-group pressure. He is ambitious and doesn't want to rock the boat with powerful people. It is a more nuanced form of a corrupt process.
Tweet from Richard Keys (who I appreciate isn't necessarily the most trustworthy of people) but 'if' true it's significant imo.
"I had a call today from a listed official telling me what we all knew - refs are instructed to give VAR decision when they go to the monitor"
If that's the case then the decision to award the Jota penalty wasn't Friends', it was VARs'. That's completely different to how I believed it operated in that I thought VAR would only send the ref to the monitor to review something they felt he'd missed (eg Silva's shirt pull). If Keys is right then the decision is already made, but not by the on field referee which is entirely wrong. A review of the Jota incident could only have confirmed to Friend that his original decision was correct, there was absolutely nothing in the reply to suggest otherwise and yet he still overturned his decision.

If you want to go down that conspiracy, I doubt the big US-owned clubs give a stuff about Burnley. They'd benefit greatly from Newcastle not being in the PL and slowing any advances they may make.
Burnley may not be big like other yank owned clubs but they are still yank owned. They are still likely to agree and vote with the other yanks.
Newcastle are the enemy just like we are. What legit reason can be given for refusing a stonewall penalty for Newcastle? The yanks would rather Burnley stay up than the geordies.

Burnley may not be big like other yank owned clubs but they are still yank owned. They are still likely to agree and vote with the other yanks.
Newcastle are the enemy just like we are. What legit reason can be given for refusing a stonewall penalty for Newcastle? The yanks would rather Burnley stay up than the geordies.

Possibly I was unclear, but I think we agree that Newcastle going down is the favoured option.

I meant the main reason BigYank would benefit would be if Newcastle went down, and not because Burnley would benefit from it.

Didn't Burnley add their name to one of the witchunt letters sent to the PL demanding City be punished for alleged UEFA FFP breaches even before the CAS case was even heard? CAS treated it with the contempt it deserved and I think it actually worked in our favour.

its not giving manchester city anything that will care about and we don't need help from nobody. its all about being fair and doing your job proper. being cheated the most hated thing by me and it hurts. we are watching greatness with this manchester city team and they should not be trying its best to stop us.

they would be raving and shouting from the roof tops if it was united or liverpool but its not. we are little old man city that won the lotto and don't deserve it ?
I agree, even Pep Guardiola said something in a previous game along the lines of City don't get given anything. Fair decisions would be nice, that is all. It just seemed that the only reason for the delay caused by VAR was to disrupt City's game. The handball they were supposed to be looking at wasn't even shown and as for the red card, the commentary said " minimal contact " despite the gash on Aymeric Laporte's leg being " clear and obvious " almost as if the commentator was excusing in advance the decision he was expecting.

There are some on here who already do this. Others I'd advise you to watch the positioning of certain referees in our games.

They seem very adept in obstructing passing lanes.

OliVAR is a **** for this.
OliVAR was very good at positioning himself between our defender with the ball and David Silva. It was never anything but deliberate.

Didn't Burnley add their name to one of the witchunt letters sent to the PL demanding City be punished for alleged UEFA FFP breaches even before the CAS case was even heard? CAS treated it with the contempt it deserved and I think it actually worked in our favour.

I thought the letter was "if there is punishment, let it be this year and not drag on".
As it happened, the decision was made in the year anyway and the letter was largely redundant.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.