VAR thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
@BlueHammer85 @Stephen230

Please provide reasonable explanations for the following (years in to VAR use, mind):

1) PL/FA/PGMOL refusal to share audio of officials during matches (the audio is already broadcast; this would be a near zero cost and technical change implementation).

2) Certain clubs (namely Liverpool and United) being allowed to have substantially different VAR supporting system setups, including fewer cameras leading to “blind spots” in VAR coverage, compared to other clubs in the league.

Webb has said he’s looking at releasing some audio after certain games, as he did when he was in charge in America. It won’t be live though, for now at least. You’d have to ask him or draw your own conclusions why that is. I could guess but what would be the point of that?

I’m not aware that United and Liverpool have substantially different set ups. The only previous case I’ve heard about in England with a similar problem as the other night was in the Arsenal V Liverpool game at The Emirates. Again I can only guess but I assume there is a minimum number of suitable camera areas that are required, which every club adhere to but most clubs have more than the minimum.

There is no either/or.

There is the exact amount of accountability for an incorrect decision in a modern day PL game as there was in that game in the 2004/5 PL season - Absolutely ZERO.

watching that clip you posted, it's absolutely farcical how we put up with games like that

there is simply no way Rio would have stayed on the pitch had we had VAR and so many other challenges that would have been punished had we had VAR, I remember feeling that same injustice Arsenal fans felt many a time at West Ham with games like that. It still happens now I concede but nowhere at that level.

Scrap VAR and some think everything will be alright ! watch that video - it exactly highlights how bad officiating was on a regular basis.

Webb has said he’s looking at releasing some audio after certain games, as he did when he was in charge in America. It won’t be live though, for now at least. You’d have to ask him or draw your own conclusions why that is. I could guess but what would be the point of that?

I’m not aware that United and Liverpool have substantially different set ups. The only previous case I’ve heard about in England with a similar problem as the other night was in the Arsenal V Liverpool game at The Emirates. Again I can only guess but I assume there is a minimum number of suitable camera areas that are required, which every club adhere to but most clubs have more than the minimum.
I think describing half the cameras of other grounds (and no big screens to show VAR review) leading to blind spots for VAR assessment as “substantially different” is pretty reasonable.

Number of cameras varies—for reasons passing understanding and standards of competitive fairness—from 4 to 8. Liverpool only has 4, with at a least one blind spot for VAR review resulting from the 50% setup.

This means VAR review is substantially different at Anfield than at the Etihad, both the for clubs and the fans.

Strawman grasping a straws?

Explain this infamous Utd v Arsenal game where Riley allowed Reyes to get systematically kicked out of the game by all but the Utd goalkeeper until he finally gave Phil Chuckle a yellow that should have been a red, and gave the dodgiest of penalties against Sol Campbell?

When you realise THIS guy went on to be the HEAD OF THE PGMOL...

Sometimes I wonder if it's competence/bad day at the office, or lack of fitness affecting decision making. This is clearly just a brown envelope job/cheating.
There is another rag game against Wigan I think where Rooney in particular got away with multiple assaults (not tackles as mostly arms/elbows at head height) while the ref laughed along with him like best mates.

I think describing half the cameras of other grounds (and no big screens to show VAR review) leading to blind spots for VAR assessment as “substantially different” is pretty reasonable.

Number of cameras varies—for reasons passing understanding and standards of competitive fairness—from 4 to 8. Liverpool only has 4, with at a least one blind spot for VAR review resulting from the 50% setup.

This means VAR review is substantially different at Anfield than at the Etihad, both the for clubs and the fans.

Strawman grasping a straws?
Exactly, it should be uniform application as a condition of the PL Licence.
The clubs in question have plenty of money so it can only be a conscious decision for them not to install it. And for the PL not to insist they do.
Whatever the reasons behind that decision are, only the clubs and the PL know. Commercial (more seats) or something else. Your guess is as good as mine because there is no transparency or accountability
If nothing else it certainly leaves things open to suspicion

Sometimes I wonder if it's competence/bad day at the office, or lack of fitness affecting decision making. This is clearly just a brown envelope job/cheating.
There is another rag game against Wigan I think where Rooney in particular got away with multiple assaults (not tackles as mostly arms/elbows at head height) while the ref laughed along with him like best mates.
Deliberate elbow straight into the face of James McCarthy iirc

It just beggars belief that Riley went on to be the head of the PGMOL after many 'performances' like that one.

He was the guy setting the standards that all other referee's were expected to rise to. This is one of the main reasons I find it so difficult to see beyond corruption when we continue to see decisions week-in-week-out (with our without technology) that completely baffle me. And yet there is STILL ZERO ACCOUNTABILITY.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.