VAR thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
He’s now come back and has been touting himself to PGMOL and Sky etc as an ‘expert’
Nobody will touch him with a barge pole
So that usually means he’ll soon have a gig on TalkShite
I didn’t know about Talkshite, Clatternberg absolutely embarrassed himself on there saying Women refs need to concentrate on their career or have a family, he said they couldn’t do both. He got pilloried for that.

It's still clearly nowhere near in the right place.

Trying to apply a line to a low res image at a lower frame rate, without calibration, and just one camera angle is nothing like the process that VAR uses. And as you say VAR isn't perfect. The arguments on here are usually about how a VAR image could be out by miles even with much more accurate sources than this image.
Var isn’t actually that much more accurate, either, because of the limitations of the cameras being used (and the dependence on the VAR to set variables as inputs to the calculations). That’s ignoring margin of error (inherent in all systems of this type) and “blind spot” situations, such as the one we are debating.

But we both agree that VAR has quite a bit of room to improve in this regard.

If they were designing a system from scratch to surreptitiously fiddle the outcome of games or influence betting patterns I don''t think they could come up with a better system than what we have now. It's near perfect and there is zero truly independent scrutiny.

Obviously I'm not saying that's what VAR is for, but...
Yes, if I was being forced to bring in video review, after literally decades of resisting it for “reasons”, and I wanted to protect at least some ability to influence outcomes, this is the way I would design and implement it.

How is what I have said the “exact opposite conclusion”?

I was accepting as true what the Twitter user from @BlueHammer85 ‘s post said and then asking a question based on it.

What you’ve just said makes no sense.

The Twitter quote said, “He ( the linesman) will have communicated over comms there was an offside”

You took from that, “He ( the referee ) ensured the flag was raised…..”

For clarity, the Twitter quote is suggesting the linesman told the referee over comms there was an offside previously in the move. The referee pointing at him was to tell him, now is the time to flag. That’s not ensuring he flags or calling him back from his sprint to the half way line that other people seem to have decided is now fact. That’s telling him the appropriate time to flag an offside he’s already verbally called.

Surely not... "Scudamore's strategic plan"???
Never.

They have designed and implemented everything to make the league fair, balanced, and a close to a perfect meritocracy as possible.

If City so happens to come in with money and the best manager in football and begin to dominate the league every season, they’ll applaud our achievement, not try to implement rules to curtail investment in our club, protect rival cash cow clubs, or influence match outcomes to increase competitiveness, fan entertainment, and advertising/sponsorship revenue.

You are just paranoid!

Never.

They have designed and implemented everything to make the league fair, balanced, and a close to a perfect meritocracy as possible.

If City so happens to come in with money and the best manager in football and begin to dominate the league every season, they’ll applaud our achievement, not try to implement rules to curtail investment in our club, protect rival cash cow clubs, or influence match outcomes to increase competitiveness, fan entertainment, and advertising/sponsorship revenue.

You are just paranoid!
Does that mean I qualify as a 'Blinkered Crackpot'?

The Twitter quote said, “He ( the linesman) will have communicated over comms there was an offside”

You took from that, “He ( the referee ) ensured the flag was raised…..”

For clarity, the Twitter quote is suggesting the linesman told the referee over comms there was an offside previously in the move. The referee pointing at him was to tell him, now is the time to flag. That’s not ensuring he flags or calling him back from his sprint to the half way line that other people seem to have decided is now fact. That’s telling him the appropriate time to flag an offside he’s already verbally called.
All this he said/they said bollocks is PURE SPECULATION.

Until the PL/PGMOL/FA release full undoctored/unedited communications between all match officials we can't begin to fathom out how/why they reach the decisions they do.

And I'm pretty sure they'd like to ensure it stays that way for as long as they keep getting away with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.