VAR thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
The referee gestures to the linesman—to ensure he raised his flag—and only after that did the linesman raise his flag.

The referee ensures the linesman raised his flag. You’ve again explained that the referee did that and then said the referee didn’t do that.

You have a strange way of deciding to redefine words to make your nonsensical statement seem legitimate. Or is it just to be contrarian in a farcical attempt at a “gotcha” in response to my post?

Either way, you look ridiculous (to put it kindly) when you do it.

So, again, I accepted as true what the Twitter user said and asked a logically progressive question: the referee ensures the flag was raised (after presumably being told by the AR that Nunes was offside in the build up), even though he would have known that Nunes was in the ‘blind spot’ on the Anfield pitch where VAR would not be able to review the offside?
Do you ever feel that some are contrary just to get a rise and a few more clicks?

The referee gestures to the linesman—to ensure he raised his flag—and only after that did the linesman raise his flag.

The referee ensures the linesman raised his flag. You’ve again explained that the referee did that and then said the referee didn’t do that.

You have a strange way of deciding to redefine words to make your nonsensical statement seem legitimate. Or is it just to be contrarian in a farcical attempt at a “gotcha” in response to my post?

Either way, you look ridiculous (to put it kindly) when you do it.

So, again, I accepted as true what the Twitter user said and asked a logically progressive question: the referee ensures the flag was raised (after presumably being told by the AR that Nunes was offside in the build up), even though he would have known that Nunes was in the ‘blind spot’ on the Anfield pitch where VAR would not be able to review the offside?

I know the literal definition of the word “ensure” I would suggest in this context it is heavily implying that he was telling the linesman to do something he was otherwise not going to do ( flag for offside ) Or at least was reluctant to do and needed convincing. But forget that.

What I fail to see, if you’re accepting the linesman had already verbally called the offside, that there was ever any doubt or anything sinister that the flag would be raised once the ball ended up in the net? If the on field decision is off side, then that’s what they’re always going to give. Irrespective of any potential knowledge of blind spots.

I know the literal definition of the word “ensure” I would suggest in this context it is heavily implying that he was telling the linesman to do something he was otherwise not going to do ( flag for offside ) Or at least was reluctant to do and needed convincing. But forget that.

What I fail to see, if you’re accepting the linesman had already verbally called the offside, that there was ever any doubt or anything sinister that the flag would be raised once the ball ended up in the net? If the on field decision is off side, then that’s what they’re always going to give. Irrespective of any potential knowledge of blind spots.
Because the knowledge of the inability of VAR to review that specific offside decision, given the circumstances, is highly suspect in of itself.

And if Madley didn’t know that VAR would be unable to review the offside decision, then that is a big problem, as well.

Because the knowledge of the inability of VAR to review that specific offside decision, given the circumstances, is highly suspect in of itself.

And if Madley didn’t know that VAR would be unable to review the offside decision, then that is a big problem, as well.

Well having blind spots for the only calibrated cameras is certainly not an acceptable state of affairs. I’d imagine everybody would agree with that.

I’d personally be very surprised if the referee was aware of potential blind spots beforehand and even more surprised if he made decisions differently based on that knowledge. But I’m not going to argue if someone suspects differently.

My only point is IF you accept the linesman thought the guy was offside then there are no circumstances where the flag isn’t going to go up once the ball has gone in the goal.

Well having blind spots for the only calibrated cameras is certainly not an acceptable state of affairs. I’d imagine everybody would agree with that.

I’d personally be very surprised if the referee was aware of potential blind spots beforehand and even more surprised if he made decisions differently based on that knowledge. But I’m not going to argue if someone suspects differently.

My only point is IF you accept the linesman thought the guy was offside then there are no circumstances where the flag isn’t going to go up once the ball has gone in the goal.
I think either scenario (which aren’t even conspiratorial) is incredibly problematic from a competition fairness and principles of governance perspective.

And the longer the circumstances that allowed for this situation to arise go unaddressed, the more it moves from unacceptable incompetence to obvious corruption (unaddressed incompetence becomes a form of corruption; there are only so many times the governing bodies can claim mistakes before it becomes a pattern of intentionally allowing the mistakes to made).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.