VAR thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
For all the whys and wherefores, to have a poll suggesting that car was implimented solely to assist united and liverpool makes us look small time as fuck
It’s not suggesting anything, it’s asking a question based on a running narrative being put forth by various posters in the thread.

Or you can acknowledge that I wasn’t wrong when I said many on here think VAR was set up solely to benefit Liverpool & Man Utd - you tried to get me on this by setting up the poll and it’s backfired

I think even you can see why that counts as a conspiracy

My opinion, VAR was bought in to assist referees and officials on clear mistakes they’ve missed and for them to have a second look - it’s been bought in worldwide and for the most part, it’s a success that is improving season by season - there will always be the odd incorrect decision despite VAR and technical issues - it’s whether you believe these issues are on purpose for one big conspiracy or not.
I am not sure how it has backfired when the results thus far still do not support your original claim?

Bear in mind some posters (including the OP) use apps like Tapatalk on mobile devices, and these don't include functionality to vote on polls.

It's a ludicrous notion that VAR was implemented to favour certain clubs. For one reason, it is used in countries where those clubs will never compete. For me, it's a question of bias, and whether any bias is applied deliberately, or under instruction. Very difficult to prove without evidence.

The evidence we do have is limited at the moment. There are the Halsey comments. The more tenuous suggestions that unqualified Match Commanders can influence VAR decisions. Unanswered questions about communications between officials - I'm thinking of why Taylor changed his mind about a foul on Aguero, or Madley's gesture to his linesman in the Liverpool game.

From my own point of view as a former referee, my starting point is to ask if there is any plausible explanation for an event. Looking at the Salah goal, this is a misinterpretation of a directive given this season, and offside was the correct decision. Why is a professional referee, on at least £70,000 a year, making these mistakes? Why didn't anyone in the VAR room use the clarification they had been given at the start of this season? It's inexcusable. For the disallowed goal, could the linesman possibly have seen in his field of vision, from supposedly being in line with the last defender, ANY Wolves player to the right of Alexander-Arnold when the ball was headed to Nunes? 100% not, from the angles we've seen. Did he raise his flag immediately as the goal was scored? It appears not, because camera angles suggest he had turned back towards the half way line. Did he raise his flag before or after the hand gesture from Madley? Undoubtedly after.

Two different refereeing mistakes directly benefiting one team in one game gives a very strong indication of at best, bias. I hope Wolves receive some proper explanations, and there is some real accountability to go with them.
You understand I don’t believe that VAR was designed and implemented solely to benefit Liverpool and United, right?

I have explained at length my position, including this summary from yesterday.

I agree, it was hyperbole to suggest most people believed that VAR was designed and implemented solely to benefit Liverpool and United.

You know my stance, which I would wager is more in line with how most view the current iteration of VAR:

It was designed and implemented to allow the greatest amount of freedom to influence match outcomes possible with a video review system in an attempt to "protect the product".

It is not always successful, nor is it always to benefit Liverpool or United. But the mere fact that the league had resisted implementing it for decades after it was implemented successfully elsewhere in the world, and then did so in a fashion that most neutral observers see was strangely flawed from the start, is a big clue as to the overarching intention.

The league could have easily created substantially more transparency and confidence in the new VAR setup from the very beginning with a more robust design and more consistent and open implementation and refinement, but they chose not to do that. And they have actually made changes over the past few years to make VAR *less* transparent, which it self is bewildering.

Excuses presented for all of these decisions are naïve, at best, and sycophantic, at worst.

And this is coming from someone that desperately wanted VAR to be adopted in England and Spain for literally decades.

The poll was added because some believe “most people” active in this thread think it was brought in to solely benefit Liverpool and United. And after months debate, could not be dissuaded from that belief, so I wanted to put it to bed.

And right now, even with the shoddy nature of polls on here, it is reflecting that *most* people active in this thread (and who have voted) do not hold that belief.

I’d wager a guess that there are a fair few voting yes just to be contrarian, as well.

The poll question is too black and white, it should have asked - Is VAR being exploited to manipulate results?
It was intentionally limited in scope (black and white).

The broader version will come after the ridiculous narrative that most blues believe VAR was brought in to solely benefit Liverpool and United is hopefully put to bed.

Silly poll as I’ve acknowledged other factors for people’s conspiracy theories

He expected 0% aswell
The poll was in response to your original claim that most blues (the “conspiracy brigade”) believe VAR was brought in to solely benefit Liverpool and United. Then, when I posted the poll and you were called out on how ridiculous that claim was, you began qualifying your statement.

Let’s not revise history to make your original stance seem more reasonable.

I expected something to what we are seeing now. At no time did I say I expected that *no one* would believe that, so stop trying to again make ridiculous claims.

It was intentionally limited in scope (black and white).

The broader version will come after the ridiculous narrative that most blues believe VAR was brought in to solely benefit Liverpool and United is hopefully put to bed.
It wasn’t brought in to benefit anybody we all know that.

It has though been to the Scousers benefit because of “technical” problems at their shit-hole ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.