VAR thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok thanks. I’m certainly not backing up United and Liverpool for not abiding by any rules. Or the authorities for allowing them to do so.

My specific point was, I’ve read on numerous occasions how their lack of big screens is giving them some sort of unfair advantage in the way VAR is administered at their home games. So we can put that one to bed at least.
Yep, I'm anti var but laugh when I read the comments that not having screens somehow gives those two an advantage.

That had nothing to do with phases of play. That’s just muddying the waters. They decided, rightly or as I’m sure most City fans would think, wrongly, that it wasn’t handball. If they’d decided it was handball, everything that happened after that would have been irrelevant, no matter how many phases of play there had been before play was stopped.
That was the wrong decision in that case. As far as I remember, at that point, any touch of the ball against the hand that preceded a goal meant that the goal had to be disallowed. We had one around that time where the ball brushed against Laporte's hand at a corner, and the subsequent goal was disallowed.

The ball definitely touched Alexander-Arnold's hand, so for the goal to have been allowed to stand, they must have decided it was not the same phase of play.

That was the wrong decision in that case. As far as I remember, at that point, any touch of the ball against the hand that preceded a goal meant that the goal had to be disallowed. We had one around that time where the ball brushed against Laporte's hand at a corner, and the subsequent goal was disallowed.

The ball definitely touched Alexander-Arnold's hand, so for the goal to have been allowed to stand, they must have decided it was not the same phase of play.

It might well have been the wrong decision but phases of play is totally irrelevant in cases like this. If Chelsea had scored the other night in the time it took to stop play, we would have been in an identical situation. And that goal would have been chalked off and the penalty given.

In some games, probably Yes.

BUT it's easier to manipulate results without VAR. Look for example at our CL tie with Liverpool in 2018. We were hard done by in both legs.
You could argue it's easier. The referee could make a marginal decision one way knowing full well it's the other way and VAR are stuck with the 'clear & obvious' get out. Same with Yellow Cards that should be Red - Ref gives it, VAR doesn't overturn it.

It's not only VAR decisions though. I've seen throw ins clearly come off opposing players and the ref/lino gives it the opposite way. You also have the disparity in applying the LOTG where opposition players can foul with impunity, yet ours are first foul yellow card. Then there is the application of the advantage rule and the ref blocking the passing lanes (as a particular referee used to do regularly with Spanish Dave). Then there is the subsequent stat padding towards the end of the game (booking a couple of opposition players for cheap fouls) to level things up when the match result sewn up. ALL theses things can affect the outcome of a game without VAR's intervention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.