VAR thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well he clearly wasn’t just a few yards in City’s half. But anyway, if the linesman had got his initial thoughts wrong and Rashford was onside, then he had a clear run at goal from a central position, with just the ‘keeper to beat. So yes, it was by any reasonable person’s opinion, an immediate goal scoring opportunity, if he’d been onside. Which is a textbook example of a linesman using the delayed flag as it’s intended.
I say bullshit.

Well in the last few days courtesy of VAR and PiGMOL's referees , we have watched Wolves get robbed of a place in the cup and the rags " assisted" in getting 3 points they did not deserve .

So obviously there is no conspiracy by PiGMOL and the PL/ FA towards ensuring that the two teams who have the biggest numbers of followers , and thereby provide the biggest revenue streams for the two football authorities , get undeserved results, and it is the supporters of other clubs who are cynical and jealous of the "favoured outcomes " for both the rags and dippers.

And those who say corruption and manipulation are behind the outcomes are simply paranoid .

Supporters of other clubs are being regularly shafted for the sake of the favoured two imo although my opinion can simply be dismissed as jealousy and cynicism.

Well he clearly wasn’t just a few yards in City’s half. But anyway, if the linesman had got his initial thoughts wrong and Rashford was onside, then he had a clear run at goal from a central position, with just the ‘keeper to beat. So yes, it was by any reasonable person’s opinion, an immediate goal scoring opportunity, if he’d been onside. Which is a textbook example of a linesman using the delayed flag as it’s intended.
I can buy that as far as if goes but what did Cann say to Fernandes, before speaking face-to-face with Atwell, that left Fernandes turning away with a big grin on his face?

I can buy that as far as if goes but what did Cann say to Fernandes, before speaking face-to-face with Atwell, that left Fernandes turning away with a big grin on his face?

Well obviously I don’t know. But if that’s what happened then a guess would be that the referee had already told the linesman he was giving the goal over comms.

Reposting my analysis to a different similar comment as a response to your post.

It has to be an immediate goal scoring opportunity i.e. Kev plays a ball through the middle for Erl to run on to on the edge of the box with no defender in sight. If the liner thinks it is a tight call then the flag should stay down. In Foden's case I think both balls (I may be wrong) were sent out wide, some distance from the goal and therefore there wasn't an immediate goal scoring opportunity.
Both of them would have had Foden in behind the United defender in the box and who is to say a chance couldn’t have come from either (though, one was obviously offside, but we know that doesn’t really matter now)? One was very tight, so why did the flag immediately go up?

As far as goal scoring opportunity playing a part, are linesman now doing xG calculations before deciding whether to raise their flag for offside? What is the xG threshold for immediate flag raise versus delayed flag raise? Who set the the threshold? Are they doing it in their heads or is someone confirming it in their ear the moment the potential offside is identified?

180-ADCD8-6026-4495-8-C96-2-EBE74239412.jpg

And, in the case of the United equaliser, it wasn’t tight, nor was it an immediate goal scoring opportunity (xG from his position when the ball was played forward is slightly higher than 0.00). Rashford was well off from the moment the pass was played, not even in our final third when he was offside, so why was the flag delayed until after Rashford had run 20 yards over the ball and Fernandes swept in to put it in the back of the net?

729573-A9-76-FD-4250-978-E-83-E3-CAFD33-BE.jpg

eliteserien-xg-model.png

In fact, at no point was it a particularly great goal scoring opportunity, except that all three of our players were defending a ghost offside player who had possession of the ball. Really, there is no goal scoring opportunity if Rashford is not allowed to run over the ball, as either Akanji or Eddie easily clear it before Fernandes arrives.

8-CD95-D67-73-D2-4-A57-A61-F-53-F577-DEC9-F3.jpg

Fernandes even shoots from outside and almost dead centre of the box which is a relatively low xG position.

DFEE86-A2-3547-4834-82-A1-3-DF9-AC49-D108.jpg

xG-heatmap-1024x609.png

Foden’s position for both of his immediate offside calls would have much higher xG.

Nothing about the officiating during the match makes much sense outside of specific potential frameworks of utter incompetence or outright manipulation.

Reposting my analysis to a different similar comment as a response to your post.

Both of them would have had Foden in behind the United defender in the box and who is to say a chance couldn’t have come from either (though, one was obviously offside, but we know that doesn’t really matter now)? One was very tight, so why did the flag immediately go up?

As far as goal scoring opportunity playing a part, are linesman now doing xG calculations before deciding whether to raise their flag for offside? What is the xG threshold for immediate flag raise versus delayed flag raise? Who set the the threshold? Are they doing it in their heads or is someone confirming it in their ear the moment the potential offside is identified?

180-ADCD8-6026-4495-8-C96-2-EBE74239412.jpg

And, in the case of the United equaliser, it wasn’t tight, nor was it an immediate goal scoring opportunity (xG from his position when the ball was played forward is slightly higher than 0.00). Rashford was well off from the moment the pass was played, not even in our final third when he was offside, so why was the flag delayed until after Rashford had run 20 yards over the ball and Fernandes swept in to put it in the back of the net?

729573-A9-76-FD-4250-978-E-83-E3-CAFD33-BE.jpg

eliteserien-xg-model.png

In fact, at no point was it a particularly great goal scoring opportunity, except that all three of our players were defending a ghost offside player who had possession of the ball. Really, there is no goal scoring opportunity if Rashford is not allowed to run over the ball, as either Akanji or Eddie easily clear it before Fernandes arrives.

8-CD95-D67-73-D2-4-A57-A61-F-53-F577-DEC9-F3.jpg

Fernandes even shoots from outside and almost dead centre of the box which is a relatively low xG position.

DFEE86-A2-3547-4834-82-A1-3-DF9-AC49-D108.jpg

xG-heatmap-1024x609.png

Foden’s position for both of his immediate offside calls would have much higher xG.

Nothing about the officiating during the match makes much sense outside of specific potential frameworks of utter incompetence or outright manipulation.

Nobody can say a chance wouldn’t have come from Foden’s. But that’s not what delayed flags are supposed to be about. They’re for when an offside has been identified but there is an immediate goal scoring opportunity. Which Rashford’s was, as he had a clean run at goal with just the goalkeeper in front of him. And Foden’s weren’t as he was out on the touchline with no immediate threat to goal.

Nobody can say a chance wouldn’t have come from Foden’s. But that’s not what delayed flags are supposed to be about. They’re for when an offside has been identified but there is an immediate goal scoring opportunity. Which Rashford’s was, as he had a clean run at goal with just the goalkeeper in front of him. And Foden’s weren’t as he was out on the touchline with no immediate threat to goal.
Foden’s offsides were both in higher xG positions than United’s “goal”, nearly all the way through the sequence (one of them entirely).

And, again, I ask: how are linesman now determining when a possible offside sequence has a sufficiently high xG (goal scoring opportunity value) to warrant an immediate flag or a delayed flag?

Not to mention Rashford was very obviously offside—it wasn’t even a close call, so why would there be a delayed flag, when those are only meant for tight calls with a “obvious” goal scoring opportunity (however that is defined)?

If anything, Foden’s offside incidents better fit the criteria for a delayed flag than the Rashford sequence.

As I said before, you are grasping at straws to try to explain inconsistencies in the application of the offside rule by the same linesman in the match.

And I am not entirely sure why. What do you gain, as a purported blue, by shilling for either an incompetent or a bent officiating team, as you seemingly do every time there is a nonsensical decision?

Are you secretly a member of PGMOL? Do you just enjoy being contrarian?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.